HELP Cant figure out what the problem is. Deficiency? Burn?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by IcculusTheProphet, Dec 23, 2014.

1. (Pictures at bottom)

Hello everyone, Happy Holidays!  First real indoor grow.  I posted here once before when my plants were younger and ended up fixing the problems on my own but now I need some help from professionals such as yourselves.  I really hope someone can help me diagnose these issues, as I have been researching for awhile and unable to come up with any sort of concrete conclusion.

The tips, mostly on the newer growth, are yellowed, or sometimes even a very pale green.  It looks sort of like nute burn, but they show so many signs of other deficiencies and I have fed them barely at all considering how long they have been growing.  The pH seems to be well within an acceptable range, so I also cannot imagine it is a lockout but I am no expert.  I don't gave a digital pH meter so testing the runoff is not as accurate as I would like but I am going to order one ASAP.  The plants overall are relatively healthy other than for some yellowing leaves on the bottom and some small leaves underneath dying from lack of light).  I believe they used to have a slight cal-mag def but after switching from distilled water (newb mistake) to my well water and a few doses of cal-mag, that seemed to clear up.  

Mostly the newer growth seems to be yellowing from the base of the leaves, as you can see in the pictures.  Unlike most deficiencies where the end of the leaves are yellower, in this case it is the opposite and the outside and ends of the leaves are darker green.  It seems like it could be a sulfur deficiency from pictures I have seen, but it sounds like it is a very rare in soil, especially at this age, but I can't seem to find any other deficiency with that same symptom.  2-3 of the 10 plants have some chlorosis going on in the leaf margins.  On the older, larger leaves, it seems to be more towards the end, while the younger ones have it going on towards the base.  One plant is much worse than all the others, and has one new node growing very yellow and almost red and brown (see in the pictures).  There are also new growths that seem to have thinner twisted leaves.

Some of the tips and problems I am seeing seem to resemble a zinc deficiency, so I am hoping yesterdays feeding (they hadn't been fed in several weeks) will fix that, but I am still unsure that is it.  Maybe it is multiple things.

I think all my pictures for the most part give a good indication of the handful of problems I am having.  

Please help!!

Thank you!!!

What type of medium; soil or hydro? Soil
    What brand and type of soil? Fox Farms Ocean Forest + 20% extra perlite
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoor
    What strain? Nirvana Bubbleicious
    How old are the plants? 56 days since all 10 broke soil
    What type of lights and how many watts? 1000w MH
    How far from the lights? 24"
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? About every 4 days, when the pots are very light and dry basically all the way through.  Sometimes at the very onset of wilting, usually in the beginning of light cycle.  Well water, 6.7 pH, has been tested.  Water was soft (80ppm) but is treated with an acid neutralizer (straight well water is acidic) so that increases it a bit.  I have occasionally fed with cal+mag because the first few weeks of life I watered with distilled water (newb mistake) and no cal+mag or anything.
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?  Since week 4ish, they have only been fed a couple times.  The first time was 6tsp Fox Farms Big Bloom and 2tsp FF Grow Big per gallon.  I believe they were slightly burned so I flushed them and stopped feeding for 2 watering.  Since then have fed with half strength (1tsp) Grow Big and Big Bloom.  Also as mentioned above I used 1tsp cal-mag, during two of these feedings.  The most recent feeding (after two waterings of just plain H20 in between) was yesterday.  I used 6tsp FF Big Bloom and 2 tsp FF Grow Big (their feeding schedule recommends 3 tsp at this point in the plants life).
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? runoff is 6.5ish (I just ordered a digital pH pen) so will have a more accurate reading.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? 50-65% humidity, with it occasionally up to the 70's at night and 40's when watering is needed. Temps are about 70-75 with lights on and 61-55 with lights off.  Average is about 73/63 day/night with temps once or twice hitting 59 at night and 78ish during the day.
    What size pots? Currently 3 gallon Smart Pots, going to jump to 5 gallon Smart Pots before flowering.  Started in solo cups and they transplanted into 1 gallon pots, now in the 3 gallon smart pots.
    Any bugs? Look real close. Nope
    Any other pertinent info? Not all but some plants are yellowing on the bottom.  Some more than others.  Assumed a nitrogen deficiency.

P1010196.JPG P1010195.JPG P1010181.JPG P1010184.JPG P1010185.JPG P1010186.JPG P1010187.JPG P1010188.JPG P1010189.JPG P1010190.JPG P1010191.JPG P1010192.JPG P1010193.JPG P1010199.JPG