HELP Buds dried too quick overnight What do i do???

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Zach, Oct 7, 2015.

1. #1 Zach, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
    so i cut them last night, its only been 24 hours and it already looks like they've become dry pretty quickly. The stem hasn't dried completely and isn't snapable, but i did notice that all the fan leaves and sugar leaves shriveled up in just one day. I saw on others(videos) where they stayed green and not shriveled up. What do i do? i was thinking of just canning them now but i dont know. The buds themselves feel really soft and wet still but the stems are telling me other wise...
    i'm also scared that there might be too much air in the jar and that that'll dry it even more... idk, this is my first actual harvest so i have no idea what to do right now. I didnt expect this to happen.

2. Ok....first and foremost try to restrict some air to it. Its probably not as dry as you think. Did you trim any foliage off of it yet?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

3. i have it in a wooden speaker (closed in) so theres no way for a lot of air to get in. I think it might have to do with the humidity but i have no idea what to do there

and no, i didn't trim foiliage. I decided to leave it because i read on forums that lots of people had success keeping an even more potent smell by leaving the foiliage and also i slowed down the drying process a bit..

4. If you feel there is too much air in the jar then get a smaller jar btw. Shouldn't be a ton of space in the jar. I finished my first harvest about 5 weeks ago and understand your concern as I recall having similar concerns. Since it sounds like you have low humidity you could try jarring it for like 6 hours and you will see how wet they really are.

5. #5 Zach, Oct 7, 2015
    how will i see this? not questioning you or anything but i'm a noob and didn't expect this so i wanna know everything too look for. Will the jar have a lot of humidity inside? do you know how i would get humidity in it?will the jar get wet on the inside?

6. #6 qbsillest1, Oct 7, 2015
    I think what's happening is the untrimmed leaves have probably curled over the buds and gotten crunchy which is normal. If you were to trim some of this foliage off a nug you would see the nugs are probably still wet....

You can tell by the touch....dry buds feel crunchy and crumbly. I Ended up hanging mine up for 3 or 4 days and as the buds dried, some faster than others, I would stick them in a folded over paper bag for 24 hours and then jarred. However these buds were still wet in the middle. So it was important to air them out frequently throughout the day. Once the outside of the buds no longer felt crispy I would air them out, if they felt a bit too wet then I would throw them back in the paper bag again for 12-24 hours.

You will get a better hang of it and if you have low humidity you can jar more prematurely with the idea that you need to be keeping an eye on it. Regardless though, unless you have a direct fan blowing on your buds, they did not dry out in 1 day so don't worry about that.....

7. You can tell by the touch....dry buds feel crunchy and crumbly. I Ended up hanging mine up for 3 or 4 days and as the buds dried, some faster than others, I would stick them in a folded over paper bag for 24 hours and then jarred. However these buds were still wet in the middle. So it was important to air them out frequently throughout the day. Once the outside of the buds no longer felt crispy I would air them out, if they felt a bit too wet then I would throw them back in the paper bag again for 12-24 hours.

You will get a better hang of it and if you have low humidity you can jar more prematurely with the idea that you need to be keeping an eye on it. Regardless though, unless you have a direct fan blowing on your buds, they did not dry out in 1 day so don't worry about that.....

</blockquote>

yeah i get that, but what would you recommend? show i just leave them in the jar and burp them until they're dry enough and ready to start the curing process? or should i re hang them? any idea how i would get the humidity up?

8. I do not think your humidity is down. However if u want to raise humidity in your room get a humidifier. In your jars get a Boveda humidity pack. OR trim up one nug, just one and see if the bud really is dry. I would also suggest getting a hygrometer. I got a $10 one at Home Depot. Just make sure to calibrate it.

You can jar them but make sure that you do what ai said above....if they feel really wet as in you just chopped her down wet then you need to at the very least take them out of the jar for 24 hours or put them in a paper bag folded shut once. If you see condensation in the jars then they are soaked. Remove the buds from the jar and air them out.

9. Oh yeah i forgot....as I mentioned to u the idea about trimming a bud really quick to see if its as dry as you think....if its still very wet, which it should then DO NOT JAR yet. Let them hang longer.....this is very important here.....

10. okay, thanks for helping me out! i'll hang them back up.

11. No problem dude!

12. I always leave mine hanging for minimum of 6 days (stickyish feeling, but not wet, nor brittle...stem hardly makes a snapping noise) inside of my tent with the exhaust fan going. Then straight into the jars w/ hygrometers (I have 4 Caliber 4's - 65f, 60-65% RH humidity) & they go right into my spare bedroom in pretty much total darkness for at least 3 weeks, burping as needed of course. It's not rocket science, but it may take you more than once to get it down pat. If you really wanted to do it the lazy way you could order some of these<span class="redactor-invisible-space">...</span>

13. yeah its not that i'm lazy with it, its just that i was scared that it got too dry for it being only one day..

14. No. If you put them in jars too quick it'll mold. There's nothing wrong with what's happening to your herb. I trim all sugars and fans off when I cut them and hang only trimmed buds. The buds is what you're drying....not sugars and fans. Leave it hanging until the STEMS will just almost snap and THEN put it in the jar(s). Sounds like you're right on track. TWW

15. #16 beerbrewer, Oct 7, 2015
    Paper bag. Problem solved. Just put them in and thank me later.

16. the stems were already like that... they were already almost snapping...

17. I think ur making a big deal out of nothing, u want it to get pretty crispy. U can just cut all the buds off and put them in a plastic bag over night. It will even out the moisture. And if the buds seem wet then let them dry more out in the open, if they feel a little moist then put them in a paper bag until there mostly dry and then jar. Or if they come out dry jar em. If u dry too much u can use a boveda. And ya I've found leaving the leaves on and trimming later does increase the smell for whatever reason.