Help! - Brown/Yellow Spots, Curling Leaves - 2 Weeks Old

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by purple4, Jan 18, 2011.

1. #1 purple4, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
    Hello! I would really appreciate some help with my new born plants. I have four, and they are all showing the same symptoms. Here is some info.
    -2 Weeks Old
    -Feeding them with crystal geyser water, pH is 6.3, no nutes yet.
    -Used miracle grow soil (I read that this may be the problem)
    -300 watt HPS Light
    -Temp around 50 Deg. F at night to 78F during day.
    -Light is about 12-18 inches away from plants, my hand is only slightly warm when I hold it over them
    -RH is around 75%

The plants were pretty healthy and the problem started after I put them in "miracle gro moisture control" soil. I diddnt have time to get better soil so this just had to do for now, but it may have been a bad idea. Can anyone help me out please? Here are the pictures

B 001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If any more info is need please ask and I will post. I need my plants to live!!!!

EDIT: I changed my soil to roots organic, and my RH is actually closer to 60% (1/18/11)

2. No one can help??

3. looks like a combo of a little nute burn and some overwatering. You probably only need to water every few days with that soil at this stage. The plants should get used to the nutes in a week or two but dont cut or remove any damaged leaves until they are about to fall off.

4. In my opinion, it could be a few things. Your light might be too close to the tops of the plants, your ph might be fluctuating too much which can result in necrosis (rust looking spots on the leaves), your humidity is a little high and also it gets pretty cold at night. Not sure exactly which it is, but could be a combo of all of it ;)

5. Also if they are 2 weeks old, you might want to start introducing nutes, they are probably getting hungry as well!

6. Hey there,

This definitely looks like it might be from your lights being too close. Not to say you don't know this, but if you place your hand at the top tier of your plants, it should fee,l at the most, slightly warm, like a hint of sun on it. Nothing more.

I also agee that it might be a mag deficiency since you aren't using any additional nutes and I think people have a historic problem with MiracleGro being shy on mag.

Hope that helps. :)

7. #7 purple4, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I just raised up my lamp a little bit and switched my soil to roots organic. I probably will not water until it gets a little more dry also. I hope this does the trick. I have cal-mag from botanicare, do you think I should add some of this to there next feeding? And how long will they take to show improvement?
    Thanks for the help!

8. i had same issues from ph being off because i didnt have any cal solution for my meter and geyser has a ph out the bottle at 7.0- 7.9.all 12 suffered from ph and had yellow,brown and even some red spots.I am no pro just throwing it out there.:D

9. Just curious, are your plants clones? I'm not sure if you will be able to save them. They really don't look too healthy. You might be better off starting over in the right conditions. I could be wrong but hard to tell from the pic..

10. 6.3 PH for soil is a bit low. try to get in the range of 6.5 - 6.8, but no lower than 6.5 in my opinion. The deficiency symptoms may very well be caused by the low PH.