Help! Absence of Outlets!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Brocktree, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Hey guys,
    So my current setup is this:
    1. 96x48x78 grow tent - 8 plants with a 1,000 watt HPS, dehumidifer, oscilating fan, 6" inline fan.
    2. One plant SCROG under 450watt HPS, dehumidifer, oscilating fan
    3. 400 watt CFL vegetative tent
    - #2 and #3 share a 12" inline fan

#1 is on it's own outlet, and by that, I mean i'm running a 30 foot long extension cord into my surge protector which I plug everything into, running it from an outlet on the wall of my backyard porch.
    #2 and #3 are on a shared outlet that also uses another 30 foot extension cord, and then a 15 foot extension cord that run to the second most nearby outlet, and then plugs into my surge protector which everything else plugs into.

I am -really- sick of using extension cords, and because I only have two outlets available to me, my grow is severely limited because I would -like- to be running a lot more wattage and expanding. I live in North America, so my outlets are 15 amps as far as I can tell.
    I've looked up videos on upgrading 15 amps to 20 amps and for the most part, the only thing I learned was that you shouldn't do it.
    I've also looked up videos on adding outlets to existing circuits, but I am having trouble figuring out how I would extend my existing circuit 30 feet.

I have been considering hiring an electrician, and although I'm sure that'd be a smart move, I want to at least seriously consider a DIY, and then maybe just have an electrician give me his approval after reviewing things and me do the work.

So I am wondering if the GC community can help me try and figure out what I can do with this. Is it possible to upgrade my outlets to use 20 amps? I know this will mean modifications to the breaker and everything, but I'm willing to try that.

Or could I add outlets to the existing circuit, even at the distance as much as 30, or even 45 feet?

2. [​IMG]

Are the numbers on these the amps for each circuit?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. That is correct. Perhaps look into ADDING another 15 amp breaker and running a brand new line from the panel.

Are you trying to get electricity to a Nother part of the house or is this a building outside of the home? I read the part where you were running and electrical cord from your porch. Made me think it was a separate building. If that is the case, I would look into running and underground (in conduit) line straight from the panel to the other building. And if I did that I would use both of those breakouts in the panel to run a higher amp circuit.

My $0.02.

4. I always go with a 20a circuit. Use 12-2 romex from the new breaker and run it to the new 20a outlet. Do a double gang box and have 4 plug ins. Is the wall plaster/drywall, paneling, open studs? If paneling that sucks, but if drywall or plaster u can knock holes between the studs and drill through the studs, run the wire and mud the holes. I have had to run new power with every grow i have ever done. If in doubt of your skills, go to homedepot and pick up a home wiring book, or read read read online, and not on forums, go to actual learnin websites. Running new power isnt difficult, its just often times time consuming.

5. There's actually an existing circuit runs to my grow, however the outlet that it's connected to is on the outside of my grow structure, and my grow structure is solid wood that's layered over with thick cement. I think my only option is to add outlets from the existing circuit, I'm just not sure on how many I can add, and how to. I'll be looking up videos, I guess... still could use some other opinions though.

6. Well it depends on what else is on the breaker sharing the load besides that outlet. If there isnt a bunch of stuff on that breaker go ahead and add another outlet to the existing one.

A hammer drill and masonry drill bit can get through that concrete and wood. Just instead of romex you use 12-2 that has flexible metal conduit on it since its in contact with concrete. Being that outlet you speak of is on a 15a circuit and all that you intend to run on that one circuit....i think u need a second circuit. You should only load a breaker to 80% capacity. That being said, you have 12a on that breaker to play with. A 1000w unit will draw around 10a. A standard dehumidifier usually states in the manual to put it on its own circuit, but it only (typically) uses around 5 amps.
    Anyway, u are running quite a bit of power, and using extension cords with that kind of load is dangerous. I vote run 2 new 20a circuits. I just reread your power requirements and u need 2 nice 20a circuits for that much grow. My latest will have 5 dedicated 20a circuits....and i am using less power in lighting than u are.

• Like Like x 1