Help a noob please .

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by rpgdude, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Ok so I have 3 plants in coco about 2 weeks old. Looking great, No nuts yet but its almost time. All I have is miracle grow tomato blue powder stuff and Happy Frog Tomato & Vegetable Organic Fertilizer (7-4-5) "For established plantings, scatter 1/2 cup for every 2 feet of plant height. Lightly scratch into the top inch of soil and water thoroughly."
    What I need to know is can I dissolve this HF in water and if so how much per gallon. IF I cant use this at all and cant get any thing else is there some home made mix that will do?

2. i personally wouldnt use either of those nutrients. im almost positive that whatever strength you feed them w/ that stuff, those babies are gonna burn.

SCMC will prolly drop in and give you a little info on some other stuff you can use.

what nutrients do you actually have access to?

3. Ha, I don't think I would touch this with a ten foot pole.

Get yourself some real coco nutrients or you'll be sorry you didn't. A bottle of CNS17 is like $15. I can spend more on a trip to taco bell.

4. Ok, I got canna A+B and cal-mag. It was more like $45 and a 150 mile drive but you probably drop that on tacos in like 3 days lol.

:smoke:Yokito taco bell!!

5. #6 SCMC, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2012
    You are going to need to supplement this particular system during flowering. This is exactly the same stuff I got when I started in coco and I can provide a lot of help in dialing it in.

Here's how you use the Canna plus the Cal-Mag with nothing else.

For starters. You need clean water. Well, maybe not clean water. It depends on your water report. If your water is around 0.2 to 0.4ec out of the tap, with low levels of sodium and decent amounts of calcium and some iron, then you won't even need the Cal-Mag plus. Most people don't have perfect water but you don't know unless you check. Try googling your city/county and "water report 2011" and see what shows up. look for things like ppm on hardness levels.

If, like most people, you don't have access to ideal water then the very least you want to do is use a Brita filtering to get what excess out of there that you can. A better idea is to spend the $11 on a 5gal jug down at a water store; some grocery stores carry them too near the water machines. These machines dispense reverse osmosis filtered water which is going to be ideal for when you use both Cal-Mag Plus with Canna A+B. Getting a few jugs and buying the clean water a $0.25 or so per gallon is a good idea to just cover your bases and start fresh.

This combination of nutrients is an absolute power house in coco for vegetative growth. Start slow and steady, remember that as they get bigger they can grab more energy and the growth builds exponentially. What the Cal-Mag plus does is boost the Nitrogen, change the cal-mag ratio of the canna (4.5%:1.2% I think) towards the 2:1 ratio, and most importantly the "Plus" contributes the needed Iron.

Once your plant has 8 nodes you can run 3ml/gal Cal-Mag Plus and 10ml/gal A and B. Up until then keep the Cal-Mag at 2ml/gal and the A+B starting around 4ml/gal. Work in more A+B at each feeding until you get to their full strength. The media will retain nutrients that feed your plant through this vigorous vegetative growth stage once the CEC of the coco is rocking and rolling.

If you can hop on the net and order some stuff I do have a few suggestions. I grew some FAT nugs on a Canna centric system but you gotta watch the PK and Mag levels closely. You don't have to get most of this stuff but I recommend the first two strongly.

Epsom Salt is going to come in handy. You can get it at the grocery store and a little goes a long way. Cheap stuff.

A good PK booster for you in Flowering is going to be General Hydroponics Liquid Kool Bloom. It is a 0-10-10 and you can use it at 2 or 3ml per gallon to dial up the PK levels, plus some magnesium to boot.

Liquid Karma is something I really think helps plants on this system. When I use LK the plants are happier and bigger, I don't know why or care how. A 6ml/gallon for the first few weeks (not much solution honestly despite the $25 price tag it will last you a while) plants just keep kicking. Great for transplanting. Dyna Grow Pro-Tekt is a Potassium Silicate that I strongly suggest including in your system at up to 4ml/gallon if you're going to make an order and all... it's like $12 and absolutely worth the money. Silica builds cell walls, and the cells are responsible for supporting the buds. A stronger stalk, healthier cells, it's all good stuff 360 degrees around and is a great addition to make. With the Pro-tekt I also suggest Humboldt Nutrients Flavorful. This stuff acts as an organic acid and will help you manage your pH easily without a bunch of harsher salt based acids. If you are looking for a resin enhancer you can try Canna's Boost Accelerator as a foliar spray, 1/2 tsp per liter spray bottle, every few days. Cutting Edge Solutions Uncle John's blend is a bit less expensive and packs a resiny wallop.

6. THX For all the help man I needed those ratios but to tell you the truth Iv spent over $500 so far and until I make some back I'm all out of funds. Now If you got some ghetto advice I'm all ears.