Help a beginner out with a closet grow!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Lickon, Aug 7, 2023.

1. Hello all!

I want to get my hands dirty and is currently planning a stealth grow.
    This is my first time and I just want to get you guys opinion on my plan, to see what I can improve before I start.

Closet measurements: 39" x 23" x 92" (100x60x236 cm)
    Light: 1x 125W LED full spectrum
    Carbon Filter: 1x 160m3 (100mm)
    Duct fan: 1x 100m3 (100mm)
    Pot: 2.6 gallon (12liter)
    Substrate: Soil (BioBizz)
    Nutrients: BioBizz Veg & Bloom

My questions:
    1. Is 125W LED good for this type of grow space?
    2. Is the pot size a good fit for this closet?
    3. In this type of grow space, how do I get a good yield? Any specific technique?
    4. Should I have one or more plants inside this closet?

2. I wouldn't go more than 1 plant. Put her in a 5 gallon bucket and it will fill that closet. 125w will do fine for that space. Yield depends on strain, light, and skill. Don't expect a perfect grow first time around. Just go into it with a good amount of knowledge and you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1 plant, Feminized photoperiod. Autos are finicky and if you screw up you get a 4-inch plant. Photoperiods are much more forgiving for a new grower. Start in a tiny 3x3x3 inch square plastic nursery cup. Leave it in that until the plant is 6 inches tall or bigger. Square pots promote better root branching, and you don't find the coil of roots that tends to form in round pots.

Cannabis grows fastest with big plants in small cups and constant care and which as a new grower you are going to tend to love it to death anyhow with overwatering and daily fussing.

Don't be in too big a hurry to transplant. You want the plant to slide out of the cup at transplant with a solid root ball and it should stay tight and intact when removed from the old cup. Cannabis hates having it roots messed with and will shock badly if you screw with her roots or all the soil falls off. When she needs watered every day or she wilts it is time to step up a pot size. I go to a 6x6x7deep inch next, and they can get 2 feet tall in that pot. A final transplant into a 5 gallon when you flip her to flower will be the most foolproof method of getting a plant done and I still do it this way.

You can run 24-0 in veg for the best speed and the shortest veg time. Leave that light on. Fox Farm Ocean Forest or Happy Frog soil.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. What kinda led ligh? In a tent?. Look up a Scrog u need to make sure I exchange air properly and often as needed. They won’t grow in a stuffy in vented closet w no air flow. Iv tried. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you, I will buy a 5 gallon pot for the final transplant.

6. Thank you for the great advice. I will start with your recommended pot size and move it up until the final 5 gallon pot. Is 24 - 0 preferred over 18 - 6?

7. I have not yet bought the light, but I am looking at 125/150W (draw power) full spectrum LED.

I will make sure the air flow is sufficient, I think the duct fan will provide good air exchange.

I think I will try SCROG, it looks good for these types of grows I think. Should I also top the plant two times as I see some people do?

8. Light cycle is just personal preference. It mattered in the past with high electricity costs, but LED uses a fraction of the power the old systems did so long light cycles really don't matter any longer IME.

Inside a small space sure top, her to promote branching and limit height.

• Like Like x 1
  9. As said before, go with fem seed. You don't want to waste time on a male plant.

10. That I will! Starting out with Gorilla Glue and OG Kush, both fem.

11. I see some people prune a lot, while others do just a little bit, is there any good guides on this?

• Like Like x 1
  12. You could I usually just do it once and it makes my Scrog really nice. I’m sure you could top it twice but I think that’s a little overkill. In my opinion is your top five plants you get so many fucking branches lol

13. I just hopped on mine three days ago. They’re coming back right now and it’s beautiful. All forming new branches.

14. Should I make the hole for exhaust on the top side or the roof of the closet? Or doesn't it matter?

15. heat rises so you want exhaust at the highest part of grow area.