Hello guys,....opinions welcome on my grow box choice. Thanks.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Metalgear, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Hello guys,

Hey fella's. I have been smoking pot on and off for a year or two, since having panic attacks and anxiety frequently in my recent years, and pot really helps/helped me to relax some. I did not want to resort to script meds, as I feel that is just a route I did not want to take, and the outcome would be more headache than issue cured. On that note,..I am very health concious guy ironicly, and have been into bodybuilding for many years. I feel that herb is a relative safe compound and can be used responsibly. I have been registered here a short while, and have learned a lot in that small time. Glad to be a member of the board.
    Now, I have just started to grow my own herb using one of my cleared out wall unit cabinets in my bedroom set that the space was just sitting there empty for the longest of times... It is a small space (est: average cabinet space dimentions) But I estimate that it will not suffice for very long as I need more room. I was looking at only spending about $50 on a box, and looking around, the ones at "Home Depot," or... moreover "Lowes" seem to me just fiine,...(as well as their price) I looked at some professionaly done grow boxes on here,...and my jaw just dropped!... Over 1k for wood, a fan, and ect... No thanks,... I'm a cheap bastard,...so I would like to try and pick up a a small portable fan and hope to pick up this UTILITY CABINET at "Lowes" pictured IN THE LINK BELOW. Comments, suggestions, are always appreciated. Would this seem sufficient for a decent grow space?

I am growing for the first time some bagweed,....I have no idea what strain this is, but would like and appreciate any/all opions/ suggestions you guys may have. Just looking to see if this would make a suitable grow space for 4-6 plants or less. (My own stash)

LINK:http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=79826-84396-17305309&lpage=none

Thanks guys,

Metalgear.:wave:

2. Hey, sounds like your the kinda guy I would really like to give a hand to.
    I am a Hapkido Kickboxer and was a competative Gymnast for 9 years. I hear ya on the health issue. I also agree that the chemical compounds in Cannabis are far safer for long term use than the majority of the prescription medications.

Ok so about your grow. I guess I am the man to talk to...(lol) I am the MINI grow CHAMP! (check out the thread: Pics of my mini farm)

Alright I checked out the box you have in mind and here are some concerns you will need to address. For a plant to mature it will need some basic things. One of which is room for the roots to expand and grow. Without proper space for mature roots your grow can be compromised by "root bind". Typicaly about a 3-5 gal bucket or equivelant is requierd. Now also keep in mind it is all controled by you so if you dont take your plant to full maturity before flowering you can get away with less. I dont personaly like to compromise this however. Another thing will be lighting to the whole plant. The size of this box strikes me as being a bit small only because of hight. I recomend bending your steam down and the tieing down of branches anyways, but once you do, you are ultimately going to have an explosion of growth from every section/internode. When this happens youre box might create a "bunching up" effect and it will become harder for light to penetrate.

Cost efficiency: I agree that a grow does not have to be expensive to be proficient.
    I would suggest however that you do some thinking of where youre planning to place this box. Then think "out side the box". You can do anything you want when you build your own. As well you can make your own box fit ANYWHERE. I have seen people build a box that was 2' by 3' and 5' long. they used 4' floro's and grew the whole plant horizontally. On top of that, they made the box a pully system and would pull the whole box up into the top of the closet and afix it to the ceiling.
    Are you going for discrete?

We will get you going. Let me know what you expect out of your grow. Let me know how much you can spend and we will figure it out.

3. Hey fellas',

I really appreciate all the help and opinions with my grow choice. Woodsman,.... yeah bro,... I wanted to keep the box not too big (at least 3' in height) and then was planning on tying down the stalks horizontally as they grow to maximize all my space. I really wanted to keep the whole box around the $50-75 price range if I could, and aquire it at the Lowes over here. I was planning on growing 6 plants just for my own personal stash and needs, and I have the plants sprouted already under strong really strong Floros that can go full term. I really do not want to use anything other than Floros right now since the heat factor where I have an idea for the box. As for ventilation,... I was planning on either cutting a hole on the box somewhere on the bottom, and or leave the door ajar for a few hours a day when I am away, as it is stored in a locked bedroom. I have a large outside circular fan always blowing in my bedroom, and plan on getting a small fan for the inside of the grow chamber. The box is set below my windom on the top floor of my home, if that makes any difference.

If you guys have any more suggestions,..please feel free to add. Possibly a different grow box in mins that I can aquire at a hardware store or the like?... I thank you guys again for the great help. It was very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks fellas'..

Metalgear:D

4. Well I replied to your private message with most of my opinion sorry...

I would say the only issue with the window is that when its dark outside and your light inside your grow box is on, "if you switch to HPS".......EVERY ONE knows that orange glow especialy the cops. Keep that in mind. I black out my windows with cardboard.

5. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3342472

Check this out.. If overgrow were still around I would give you the constrution info. But this would be easier to work with than the
    Plastic box your looking at(IMO).. Dont know if you have a wal mart but i bet you do.. The guy on overgrow grew six small plants under a 150w HPS with totals of 2-3oz every harvest.. Good luck on your grow and stay safe...choke with ya later...

6. Woodsman, wang, Overgrower,

You guys have all been a tremendous help. I would like tho thank you guys. I will try to attempt to post pics once I get everything set here. Again, thanks a lot fellas',... I will update you guys on my progreass as it happens.

Thanks again,
    Your help was...
    "Very much" appreciated.

Metalgear:D