Height?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by KMuffs, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Alright I have a crall space underneith my house thats like 5 feet high. With lamps it would make it a lot less, unless i could fit the lamps bettween the beams then it would be like 6 feet giving the plant probably about 5 feet max from floor to bulb. Is this high enugh to grow? Is there any strains that are really short, or is there a way to train the plants to be short and grow them out horizontaly or something? Does light type make a difference in overall height and if so what would be the best to use in my case? Thanks guys :D

2. Yes, you could certainly grow in that space, provided it stays warm enough. Any of your standard strains will work, just veg for a couple of weeks and put them into 12/12 to flower. Another option is one of the Lowryder cross strains, they stay pretty small, but the yield isn't as good. Do you have any type of lighting yet? If not, a HPS would be ideal, but floro tubes or CFL bulbs will work as well. Once you determine the size of space you are gonna use, get back to us here about how many and where.

3. Ya im having second thoughts aout this crawl space grow. I would have to build a isolated area and intake air from another room in the house, otherwise im sure bugs and mold and stuff would kill them, and its prety cold too. So basicaly id have to make an air tight insulated area for it to work, also wire better electricity. I am also still worried about the height, it might fit but barely. There is a lot of horizontal room though and this is the only place to grow in my house. If i were to do this I would make the area about 350 square feet, wich is less than a quarter of the crawl space. I would probably start with 2 400 watt lamps, i would use 600 but the proximity to the plants is too close I think (height from ground to ceiling after isolated area was built would be about 5 feet at the highest to 4.5 feet at the lowest). So yea, I'm still debating. What do you think? Also, how loud would an exahst fan be for this size room? And have you ever used a active carbon filter that would attach to the exauhst fan? Does this totaly eliminate the smell or could you still notice it? Ill be honest I live in my moms house, she rarely goes into the crawl space and she wouldnt notice the minus 350 squarefeet out of the coner but if its loud and or smells she might.

4. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, you are thinking of the issues the right way, except for one...

Don't grow in your parents' house. They potentially could lose their house if you get busted, and even if you think there's no way that will happen it doesn't matter, that's not the point -- it isn't your risk to take. You need to wait until you have your own place.

5. Toasty's right, you shouldn't grow in your parent's place because if you do get busted, you'll have the burden of bringing your parents down with you too.

6. Yea I suppose you guys are right, I mean, Im prety sure my mom could claim ignorance though, especialy since i am sort of a tennant and even if it did get busted she wouldnt loose her house. Duno where you got that one. Even if she took full blame for it not much would really happen. Especialy if I kept it under 8 plants. Here in BC it is estimated that there is one growopp per 100 households. They could bust a grow opp in my area every day for a year and not be anywhere close to getting rid of them. They know this and I dont beleive they actively search for operations in the size range of mine. If they sumhow figure it out, a neighbour could tip them off and there is a 50% chance they would investigate and bust it and even if they did I probably wouldnt get any jail time, and my mom would not loose her house. Under 8 plants I dont think I would even get a criminal record. This is why I asked you guys about the noise and smell and why I would go through the trouble of getting a carbon filter and all that because if I estimate the risk to be low enough I would feel reasonably comfortable doing it. I am also a reasonably paranoid person. I veiw talking about this on this site as a potential way to get busted. Im sure cops and what not moniter this and they can track my ip right to my house. I'm probably already red flagged somewhere for searching what ive been searching on google yet alone this. I realize the potential to get caught but I also realize the potential to die on my may to university every morning and for some reason I usualy make that drive.

I would still like some input about noise and carbon filters PS.

Thanks for the concern guys.

7. It has nothing to do with your mother's knowledge of the grow. Many states have laws that allow seizure of property used in connection with a crime, assets to be sold in order to help cover the cost of prosecution or compensation to victims. Depends on your local laws.

But putting the law aside, there is a certain karma associated with growing MJ, and a certain trust that should exist between you (as "tenant") and your mom (as "landlord" or whatever). Growing under someone else's roof without their consent violates that karma and definitely violates that trust.

8. All the more reason to legalize the fucking plant!