Heating with candles

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Sandwich, Dec 5, 2006.

1. I was wondering if scented candles will affect my plants. I plan to help heat my room with many scented candles, would that harm in anyway the plant. I live in Alasks so it is freezing outside and I will not have a furnace, just some flourcents and a 1000 watt bulb, in a pretty big room. Is there another way to produce cheap heat?

Thanks for the advice

2. i think you'll find that the 1000 watter wil heat things up quite nicely. question is, how you gonna heat them when the lights are out???

3. That is where I was hoping the candles might come in, i could hide them behind something so they dont show any light, or do you think that would even matter.

4. i'm pretty sure you can't use candles to heat the room when the lights are off.

5. Unattended open flame.....mmmmm...NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

6. ...why don't you pick up an actual space heater...there is a wide veriety, choose between kerosene fueled, or electric, i have even seen an electric one that heats water in a radiator, and it worked pretty well.

7. the dr. is right. you're asking for trouble. you could burn the place down. you're gonna have to come up with a safe way to keep your temps. up at lights out. put a small ceramic heater in the room. just make sure you don't have any bulbs glowing on the heater. they sometimes like to have an orange bulb glowing in the front to let you know it's on.

8. First candles won't put out ANY heat compared to the cost and risk.
    Second using fukcing candles in a closed in room while unattended is bad idea.... the lights alone cause enough of a fire risk.

9. Even if you got the candles for free you shouldn't do that.
    By the time you have enough candles to heat up the place (100+) you produce a lot of CO, CO2 and other nasty gases/particles.
    In the old days they used to heat up house with a fireplace.
    Nice chimney straight up through the roof.
    You'll need to ventilate a lot if you heat with fire.
    An electric space heater sounds best.
    Ofcourse you'll need to insulate the place to retain the heat after you generate it.
    But you being from a cold place and all I bet you figured that one out already.