Heat Stress?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by experimentalist, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Hello Everyone,

My plants are experiencing a classic case of heat stress.. the edges of the leaves
    are turned upwards at nearly 90 degrees on a lot of the leaves, and the very tips
    are drooping downwards.

I have my plants under a 400W Metal Halide light, which is about 2 feet above the
    plants. There is a fan blowing steady air in between the light and the canopy and the
    plants are getting movement from the air circulation. My fan was set to "low" and I
    have increased it to "high" today.. that might help.

The temperature range is 79-83 degrees F, with a humidity which fluctuates between
    50% and 60%. The average heat index for the room is +1 degree F, so the plants
    are experiencing a 83.9 degrees F temperature at absolute maximum. The room
    did get up to 68% RH for about 12 hours last week, but I've added a dehumidifier
    on a timer which keeps the RH down to the levels I stated.

They are getting watered when they need it, every 2nd day or so, and they are getting
    full vegging nutes now (18-18-21). There was some slight yellowing in lower leaves
    which hasn't gone away, but hasn't gotten worse now that I've gone to full strength nutes.

This seems like classic heat stress, but everything I have read and experienced myself
    says that these are ideal vegging conditions.. am I missing something? Does anyone
    have any tips?

I'll post a photo tomorrow if requested. My cameras battery is dead and I dont want
    to waste your time with a cell phone shot.

I don't know who posted it, but this is exactly what it looks like:
    http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii308/help_needed_photo/_MG_1100.jpg

Any and All Advice is appreciated!

Thanks Everyone!

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

2. #2 chemicalcomfort, Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008
    hrm i really need a pic.

but from what you described (and as you said) those should be perfect conditions.

edit: 18-18-21 is not a good vegging nute ratio IMO. you want high N and less P and K. could have something to do with that. maybe they're getting too much potassium (K).

3. Ok I've given the plants a full dose of some 30-10-10 nutes I got this evening, I hope
    they take to it OK. I am noticing some new yellowing happening in the leaves today
    which is kind of scaring me.

If it's worse by tomorrow evening im going to do a full flush on them, then give them
    a half dose of nutes, then wait a few more days to see what cooks.

:bongin: ~Experimentalist