Heat Stress? HID burn?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ricard0, Dec 27, 2008.

1. #1 ricard0, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
    Ok guys, my buddy felt it necessary to interrupt my dinner this evening. I've been an advisor to him thus far, and i'm not able to be at his place that often due to his wife. Anyway, he brought with him these little Christmas gifts.......... only, something isn't right here.

This first one looks fine, just a tad stretchy-
    NL-1.jpg

This one also looks OK-
    NL-2.jpg

But what the hell man-
    NL-3.jpg

I asked him if he moved them out of the shelter of the CFL clamp lights......... :confused:-
    NL-4.jpg

He was a little embarrassed and obviously flustered..... :devious:-
    NL-5.jpg

He was about to just jam, but i talked him into letting me take these pics to refer back to.

I've never seen a seedling stressed by HID before, but i can't see any other problems, so i'm pretty sure that's it.

Just thought i'd get a second opinion from GC

BTW - Strain is NL#5, His soil is FFLW, water PH is 6.9, light is 45w CFL 2-3" away. There is also a 400w HPS in the cab and i believe he tried putting them under it, or he just wasn't thinking about it and placed them in view of the HPS which is about 3' away.

That's it. Just looking for someone who's seen this type of stress before, as i have not.:wave:

2. I think she's gettin a bit crispy... and that would explain the stretch on the other two. If I had to imagine the setup in my little pea brain, I would see plant 3, then 1, then two in order of distance from the HID. #3 Is cookin cause its the closest to the hotlamp and cant take the intensity. The other two are prob in view of Mr HID and are stretching to get to the strongest light source... Just my 2 cents.

3. #3 ricard0, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
    Thanx for the reply. I forgot to mention, RH is on the low side 25-35% due to the cold weather. Temps are a steady 76 F. I built and setup the cab for him with my old equip, so i know the space rather well. So any other specifics needed are readily available via myself. And all 5 pics are each a different seedling. No repeat pics.

This'll be my first venture into gen. pop. strains (ie. NL, WW, SSH etc.). All my old grows were of old time local strains and mostly available only in clone form 'cause the stingy breeders didn't want someone else playing with their genes. :(

So once again, into the horizon i travel, in search of some good ass nugs. But my path has wandered from my old self-sufficient coarse. "Grasping at straws" comes to mind. LMAO :)

But, something's better than nothing, right?

If nothing else, just getting my hands into the dirt again has re-ignited my passion for my long time relationship with that beautiful Mary Jane. :D

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

4. Well, if I had one recommendation it would be to get them out from under the HID till they have a few more sets on em. I think your RH would prob come up if that HID wasnt cookin all the water outta the air too... It doesnt look to me like the humidity is causing anything bad on those girls though. That light is cookin em IMHO. I torched my seedlings a few grows back. It started looking like that, then everyone wilted and got crunchy. Same thing, got em under the HID and open air too fast...

5. I have a feeling that's what the deal is. Man i'm gonna lay into that guy. He's been chopmin' at the bit the whole time, talking about harvesting early (which i promptly labeled a deal-breaker), and adding more lights to boost growth. I tell ya. If he weren't such a good friend, i'd have never agreed to it.

I told him, don't take your car to a mechanic and tell him how to turn a wrench. In this case, he's practically removed the wrench from my hand and is now crying to me about bloody knuckles. Crude analogy, but effective....... i thought.

I plan on setting him him straight tonight though after his wife goes asleep....... i told him to slip that b!tch some Ambien. LMAO :D

6. The mechanic analogy worked well... Im ASE certified with 12 years in coveralls. There are lots of things to do to boost the growth(extra lights, different pruning techniques) but not when they're babies!! Do you give a baby steroids? I dont think so man. Good luck with your bud man!

7. Thanx. I'm pretty sure i'll need it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, i went and opened up the HPS and capped the hot....... "no more HID you hoser" i told him.

It was kinda funny. I've never had a 6'6" power-hick logger cower beneath my vocal rage before. I'm just glad he didn't have his Stihl 064 in his hands. LMAO :)
    I think he got the message though.

Thanx again for the advice. I'd +rep ya, but i already did.

8. Update!

Ever seen a seedling recover from HID stress? Went over to my buddies and snapped these.
    NL-7.jpg
    NL-8.jpg
    NL-6.jpg
    NL-9.jpg
    NL-10.jpg
    And one of the bunch
    NL-11.jpg

That'll show 'em. :)