Heat Problem!!!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kfbbing11, Oct 29, 2008.

1. So I am growing in my an attic (heres a link to my journal http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-journals/281896-kfbbing11-bagseeds-1st-grow.html#post3147695) and today we got some low temps. I went into the attic to find that the temp was only 10 C :mad: So i covered it with blankets but this causes a problem for ventilation. So what should I do about this cold, I was thinking of
    1) buying a small heater for the entire room
    2) Buying better lights, what light would produce enough heat?
    3) Moving to a new location

Answer 3 seems that last hope, is there anything i could really do to control the heat problem?

Right now im using CFL lights and the plants are 9 days old, there in a box in an attic. Please help looking for an answer quick!!!

2. 10 degrees C (50 degrees F) shouldn't really hurt your plants. As long as it stays above freezing you should be OK. It is not ideal for growing, but it shouldn't kill your plants. It will slow down growth though.

If you want to spend the cash, any HID light (MH for vegging or HPS for flowering) should give off enough heat to keep you in a better range. You can also get a cheap fan heater with a thermostat. Or another type of external heat source.

How big is your grow box? Is it totally enclosed?

Fast enough for you? :)

3. #3 kfbbing11, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2008
    thanks a lot and it was very fast

my grow box is kinda small here is a picture (this is when we were biulding it)
    [​IMG]

But I was planning on only keeping the plants in the box until they grow a good amount and then just leave them out in the attic with a fans and lights on them. But now that i have found out it gets so cold in the attic i am second guessing. Im glad 10C isnt too bad but am afraid that when I set them outside the box it will get even colder. So if I use all HID lights i will be ok?

ALSO is there anything I could put on the walls around the attic to keep the heat in.

4. Um yeah, it's called insulation. ;)

An HID may not solve all of your problems, but it will help.

I would completely enclose the box first. That way you are not losing all of your heat out of the top. Of couse if the box is completely enclosed you will need some type of ventilation. But that is for another post.

If that doesn't work, invest in a small electric fan heater with a thermostat. It is dry heat, but heat none the less. It will do a fine job keeping your babies warm. They are pretty cheap too.

Good luck.