Heat issues in small tent

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rcolosi, Apr 7, 2011.

1. #1 rcolosi, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    Normally my crappy and hot tent setup stays at around 83, maybe 80 on a good day. I just today saw my temps getting to the 85/86 level. Ive had trouble keeping it low as it is... but this i feel is the line of unacceptable.

the room is about 10x1010 (very rough guess). the tent inside the room is 4x4x6.5, and has a 1000w HPS bulb in a 8" hydrofarm radiant. It is independently cooled with an 8" inline fan with 675cfm both intaking and exhausting into the room the tent is in. However, both the hood and the inline fan have 8->6" reductors on them, all connected to 6" ducting.

To counter this i have a window ac unit that i think is rated for 5000 btu. Also there is an oscillating fan in the tent. Also there is co2 running 3 times a day for 5 minutes at .5 cf.

I'm f'ing terrible with routing of ventilation and cooling. if pictures woulf help i cant take them... but its very simply set up.

I have a carbon filter and a 6" fan to run with it that I originally had hanging inside the tent, at the top, with the fan on the tent floor exhausting out it. I had to stop doing this because of the co2, and eventually itll smell enough to where I cant keep the fan off for as long as the plants need the co2. So now I'm not running the fan/filter at all because its not really that smelly yet.

Any advice? Is it just too hot a bulb for that small of a room? Is the 8-6 reduction too much?

2. 85 isn't all that bad, I used to have to combat 115 degree temp's in my first ScrOG box.

So you have the air venting from the tent back into the room the tent is in? I'd recommend venting it out of the house. Maybe installing some higher powered fans to get the air moving out of the room faster.

Hope I helped.

3. #3 HighOnTheHill, Apr 7, 2011
    Your problem is that you're using too much light in too small of a space. A 1000w should be used in a MINIMUM of a 5x5. Personally I'd go for a 6x6 or 7x7 tent, Tom Hill runs an 8x8 with a single 1000w with amazing results. If changing your light is an option, try to stick a 600 in there. You won't have any significant loss of yield, and the temps would go down quite a bit. Or maybe a dimmer switch on your ballast?

There's really not that much you can do, you have sufficient ventilation. IMO you either need a 600w, or a bigger tent.

The only thing I can suggest is that you... well you said you cool the hood independently? So you're drawing air from outside the tent, through the hood, and blowing it back outside the tent, right? Well how are you venting the tent? I see something about an intake fan, but not about an exhaust fan for the tent. I guess I'd just suggest trying to get a more powerful exhaust fan for the tent. Venting the hood elsewhere would obviously be beneficial because you won't be heating up ambient temps that way.

Regardless of how well you vent the hood, with that much light in that much space, you'll need to vent the tent as well.

4. #4 rcolosi, Apr 7, 2011
    Thanks for the posts!

Yes, the hood is independently cooled (with a sealed lens on the hood).

I own a can33 filter and a 6" 375 cfm inline to attach to it, and I WAS running it to vent before, but since I am running co2 now I stopped running it because I didn't want to waste any more co2 as it is, and once that time of flowering comes where it smells really, REALLY bad, I think I might need the fan/filter on all the time (security is a HUGE issue)

The fan was sucking in through the filter (in the tent), and exhausting via ducting OUTSIDE the tent. This didn't dominate the temp before, but then again I was only running a fluorescent when the filter was in there.

Would it be wiser to put the 6" fan and filter assembly back into the tent? despite the fact that it would have to be timed with co2, and that when the filter/fan is OFF, it simply might smell too much?

Edit: Also, I can't exhaust the cooling for the hood anywhere but the bathroom (I'm in the master bedroom), since I can't poke holes in things here (ceilings, etc), or out of the bedroom door, which would screw the window AC unit into trying to cool the whole house.