Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Heart Beating So Fast I Can Hear It - How To Not Panic

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by alchemoholic, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Whats up guys

Anyone got any ideas of how I can prevent panicking next time I get high? I got high for the first time last week in over a year and it was fun but the first little while wasn't too pleasant.

I felt like I just drifted from reality and entered a new state of consciousness, which was cool. But the part that freaked me out was my heart beating extremely fast. I've done cocaine and other stimulants and remember my heart beating fast but when i'm high it feels like its beating extremely fast and I can actually hear it in my head and feel blood pumping to my whole body, i'm sure some new smokers can relate. I know weed hasn't killed anyone and I reminded myself of that, but when I felt my heart beating that fast I really thought I was going to die. I took a puff from my asthma puffer and held it in, and I literally FELT and HEARD my heart slow down after I breathed out. When it got fast again, I took another puff from my puffer lol. I don't want to be dependent on my puffer though.

I used to smoke weed all day everyday so I had a heavy tolerance and I never really got stoned, I just got a nice buzz which kept me going through the day. My tolerance is at zero now so it feels like i'm doing a new drug even though I smoked weed for numerous years. I'm back at square one and its completely different now.

Another problem is the dry mouth/cottonmouth... Sometimes I feel like my mouth is so dry that I can't even breathe and that my breathing has to be voluntary because my body has stopped breathing on its own or something. Its fucked up.

To be honest being high was amazing last week, I just didn't like when it first kicked in because thats when the heart racing and stuff came in. I'm not used to feeling that panic, the last time I had a high like that must have been about 5-6 years ago the first few times I smoked weed. I really don't remember how I dealt with it back then. I don't think i've had a serious anxiety attack from weed but I just hate the panic/mild anxiety.

2. To be honest I read through this whole wall of text then ended out saying huh? :smoking:

3. im not reading that txt block, look in the stickies in the apprentice forum for the guides, personally, the fact that a ton of people get them and it wasn't just me and there was no real danger made mine go away

4. For all you too lazy to read,
    "Anyone got any ideas of how I can prevent panicking next time I get high"

That's his question.

5. Yeah when you worry about your heart beat remember, your stoned. Unless you look lie jarrod pre subway I wouldn't worry...

6. ive had the same thing you're talking about OP...ive smoked nearly 10yrs now and i still to this day can have the odd panic attack here and there. it happens to the vets, the n00bs...etc.

i found experience in smoking doesnt matter when it comes to panic...my last panic attack was nearly a year ago and i was smoking daily at the time...ive smoked daily SINCE that panic attack until now and i havent had one since.

its partially your mindset before/going into smoking and your mindset during/after you've smoked. if ur already anxious or depressed or not having a good day, etc. it could cause you to analyze all these bad things and eventually it goes from analyzing to straight panic.

dont worry. just lay down in a room by yourself...keep it quiet but not deathly silent and just remember you're smoking and its just causing the paranoia because after all almost all panic attacks (in my experience) when related to weed are started because of paranoia or over analyzing things,.

7. yea you have to remember the rapid heartrate isnt signs of a heart attack or anything wrong with you physically...try and look at it as having a workout while sitting still...thats what i use to do when i was a n00b...lol...

remember part of it beating fast is you doing it to yourself by worrying...try to just sit and relax...do things you like or watch tv shows you enjoy, etc. something to make you laugh is always good so also watch standup comedy...all it takes is a few good jokes to turn your mood around.

also eat something...it will help take off the edge of the high.

8. I've had this happen to me recently. I was really baked with a friend and we were somewhere where it wasn't an option for people to find out how high we were. We reeked of weed, had no eye drops, and needed to move quickly. My heart started beating really fast, and I remembered that I have a heart condition, which made it beat even faster. Then, I just kept telling myself, "What can go wrong? It isn't illegal to be high. If someone asks, you deny them. Nothing is going to go wrong, you are fine."

Self-reassurrance works wonders, man. Just keep telling yourself that your fine for like a minute, then try to forget about it. The more you think about it, the more that your mind will play tricks on you, thus increasing your heart rate.

9. just don't think about it
    ignore it
    that's what i used to do...

10. Back when I was smoking heavy I never had panic attacks. I just smoked weed like it was nothing and didnt think twice about it. I knew how I was gonna feel after smoking it every time because I was so used to it but now I dont know what to expect because its been so long since ive gotten properly stoned. I was pretty nervous before smoking because it was going to be my first time after 16 months. I guess being nervous and excited attributed a bit to the panic.

11. just remember that marijuana is only temporary the feelings wil pass and you in no way will be harmed by marijuana

12. 1. Realize it's just weed it's never killed anyone.
    2. It's just a chemical in your brain making you feel that way, soon it will go away so just enjoy it
    3. If you have a real anxiety problem go to the doctor maybe they'll give you some benzos if you really need them. I had the same problem and a prescription of Ativan make smoking so calm
    4. Deep breathing
    5. Go into smoking with the right mind set, if you go in worrying about a panic attack. You will likely have one.
    6. Eat something sugary. Smoking lowers your blood sugar which may cause you to feel funny and panic. Try eating a Nutella sandwhich or something.
    7. Work out before you smoke a good solid run will make you enjoy the relaxing elements of the high a lot more.
    8. CHILL IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD, I used to have anxiety where I would always hear my heart beat in my head it's all in your head.

13. Maybe reading this post above after I get stoned will calm me down and help reassure me of anything. Lol thanks guys.

14. well dude, its temporary, just tell yourself no one has ever died, take a deep breath and chill, you cant really just go HEART!! KNOCK IT OFF! so just mellow out and sit down.
    BECAUSE YOUR GONNA DIEE!!!!!! AAHAHAAAAA!!!

15. Yeah you just gotta try to relax when it's happening.
    Smoke less next time, you'll feel more comfortable about being high when you do smoke a lot.

16. You might be dehydrated, drink a lot of water and your pulse should be better.

17. I agree with many of the posts above but what it gets down to for each of us is: fix what needs fixing in in your life, then getting high will be phenomenal!