Health Care

Discussion in 'General' started by qualitysense, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I dont have insurance. I got sick in early november and went into the doctors office to get it checked out. Doctors office visit cost $77 to see the doctor. The doctor requested doing blood work ($50), when that came back negative they suggested a ct-scan. The doctor referred me to the billing department in the hospital to talk about how I can pay for the procedure. They told me the cost of the procedure was normally $300, but since I didn't have insurance they would reduce it to $150. The billing lady circles the price in red and writes her name next to it, acting sincere about wanting to help me. I get the scan done and pay the hospital bill in full before leaving. I asked the person I payed if they were aware of any other charges I would need to pay, after asking someone next to her, she replied, "No".

Two weeks later I get a bill from a radiologist for $165. Confused, I call the hospital I visited and ask why I was not told about the radiologist charge before or after the procedure. I get to talk to the lady who originally had helped me and she states that state law requires that they send all radiology scans to a licensed radiologist for analysis. However, she states that its not her responsibility to disclose that they would do so, nor is it her responsibility to inform me that this company would charge me. She knew I would be charged and, knowing that I could not afford the extra $165, still pushed me to get the procedure done at the discounted rate. I'm scared to return to this hospital, if they have no requirement to tell me that I will be charged for other services they need to perform, how can I be sure that this will not be a $2000 charge next time?

I understand this is really small compared to some people's bills. But only I make $900 a month and they were not even able to treat or diagnose me. I left the hospital feeling as sick as I came in and now have to worry about how I'm going to eat for the rest of this month.