Having trouble with (phototron)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by theladykiller, Dec 4, 2011.

1. #1 theladykiller, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
    I bought a system a while back for a pretty good price. But i cannot get anything to sprout in it for the life of me. THe phototron looks completely functionable but nothing is sprouting after weeks.It is on 16 8 light schedual. I have drainage balls under the soil. Does anyone have insight on what im doing wrong. Will take pics if needed. Thanks. After further research i found the website to the machine, but i still cannot understand why seeds havnt sprouted after over 3 weeks in it.

2. Are you germinating them first? What kind of soil? How deep are you burying them? Are you watering them, feeding them?

Sprouting has a lot more to do with these factors than the kind of box they are in...

3. Soil is osmocote potting soil. Burried about an inch or so. Just dug a small hole. Yes i used the shot glass method to germinate the seeds like i do for my aerogarden. I have been watering also.

4. Shit seeds..a lot of stuff could happen, like too much moisture and the seed gets attacked by bacteria , three weeks and none sprouted though,? I doubt its the machine, whered ya get the seeds? Were they white?

5. I had very legit g13 pineapple express seeds. I have one working in my aerogarden, and put two in the phototron and nothing. It is not the seeds, i made sure i had good seeds from g13 labs.

6. No shit huh? Did you dig what up the seeds and see if the shell popped open? Three weeks it had to be some sort of mold or bacteria..

7. #7 theladykiller, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
    I cant find the seeds now. I looked for a good half hour. I might just start more. Any tips on best germination methods, or best planting methods in phototron? Thanks

8. Some places say to use 24 hr lights to make them sprout. Could this have been the problem?

9. You planted them too deep and they rotted away... Next time you germinate seeds, wait until they crack and the tap root starts coming out. Plant it so just the root is buried and most of the shell is above the soil.

-Loki

10. I always use twenty four seven light..straight to five gals and they never leave em till chopped

11. Thanks. Illn try 24 hr light and not put them as deep. Also will Germinate longer. Will post back with results.

12. So i know, how long should it take to sprout after planting?

13. It should take anywhere from two to ten days..after ten id say its an old seed that isnt gonna sprout.

14. germinated my last g13 pineapple express seed and planted it in my phototron today. I planted the tap root under the soil but left alot of the seed casing above soil. Ive read of some people using plastic cups after germination instead of just planting them like i did. Any opinions?

15. Like the above said your growing room or rig has no effect on your seeds...germination is usually done outside of where your growing to ensure you viable seeds. No viable seeds you could have a 50k grow room and your going to grow a whole lot of nothing.

For myself I keep them in a shot glass for 24 hours making sure after a bet they submerge. Then I remove them place in a wet napkin inside a sealable container. In both cases there on a heating pad set on low. I actually always germinate in my laundry room since its nice and dark in there.

Remember germinated seeds have no requirements yet for light. They just need a warm moist place to grow.

After the tap root grows some in the container I take them out. I sometimes use a solo cup and let it grow in that or like my current grow I directly plant it in its resting spot.

Either way they should not be planted deep like 1/4-1/2 inch in the soil and loosely covered. Eventually..like 2-3 days you should see something pop out. Then you can turn on the lights...they still require no light till they start to grow there first set of leaves. I turn it on anyhow usually...CFLs to keep the area around the plant warm. After a couple days or week or so I place it under my growing lights.

Sometimes you just get bad seed. I bought some autos a couple purchase backs and all the Pakistani Ryder's I bought none of them turned out. How it goes. Its why a plant makes so many seeds many just won't make it.

Another thing to is if they do not germinate in 5-6 days they most likely never will. All the seed will do is turn black and rot..black seed is a sign of fermentation. If after you plant them in the soil after about 5-6 days as well they most likely will never grow. Waiting weeks does you no good.

16. thanks for the info. I succesfuly germinated them, and planted it directly in the resting place like you. I turned the lights on 24 hr for warmth. Next to the phototron i am also trying a second round in my aerogarden. I also have a germinated seed in that with the 24 hr lights on and i put a secondary pump in it because i believe the one in mine is broke.

17. is it possible im not using enough soil? Does the soil need to be lined to the bottom of the lights? Because mine is about 3 inches below the bottom of the lights.

18. i've had beans sprout in less then a day, and they broke soil in less then 5..........and thats from shit bag seeds