Have you ever thought about this?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by provin1327, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Has anyone ever thought about how the world is staying up? Gravity is weird, its invisible. And if we die, if there is no heaven, then when? Blackness? The sun will blow up in 3 billion years (after all its burning up right now) and then earth will burn or freeze. These kind of things freak me out sometimes. Anyone else?

2. Ya sometimes I think about the end of the world. It makes me sad that I might not see the world unite in my lifetime. But it's all a cycle, life will go on.

3. The world, the sun, all have to come to a stopping poing. It's a natural course of events. Why fear whats going to happen without or approval or not ?

4. I have pondered and read on all those subjects extensivley.

I won't attempt to tackle all of them, but there are some good answers and ideas behind many of them.

If you're looking for simple and laymen explanations to scientific questions than I highly suggest you go to your library and check out the book: A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. It was written with the intention to explain many of these kind of concepts to the average joe and avoid the boringness of the textbook.

5. I believe I'm going to a great big cloudy place in the sky that has big gates made of pearl with an old wrinkled man and a big book that has my name in it. If I've been a good little boy, I'll get in, to meet a giant, invisible, fathomless superhero who can do anything and demands we stroke his ego by sacrificing one day a week (or two or three!) to go to a building with a phallic symbol on top of it and sing songs about him and his son, whom he nade into a man to teach the world a lesson.

If I've been a bad little boy I go to a fiery place, down, down, down, with lakes of lava and fire and people screaming and a mean man who is either a snake or a half goat with pointy horns and a tail will poke me with a pitchfork until the big superhero upstairs says "Ok, I'm done playing my game and tired of eharing your songs about me" and wipes out existance.

Uhm.. Yay?

-=edit=- Can't forget the people with wings, glowing rings over their heads and big trumpets. Wouldn't be an afterlife without trumpets.

-=2nd edit=-Wtf are all those wing-people gonna do when the sun blows up? They're closest to it. Not to mention the constant radiation of UV rays and solar winds thattear through space and rape whatever they come into contact with.

6. Don't worry about the sun blowing up in 3 billion years. If humans are still around(which by then no matter what they shouldn't be, as humans should have evolved a hundred times over) and somehow you are still around(who knows if we won't find some key to immortality like mind upload) people would probably have the technology to create universes themselves.

7. I would like to know how you came to such a fantastical conclusion

8. Yeah I believe when you're dead you wont even know it, nor anything, just like you were before you were born.. err lets not go into that though.

But I don't care really, nothing I can do to stop it.

9. Really good LSD? :D

10. seems logical to me...just think about how far we as humans have come in the past millenium. 300 years ago there wasn't even electricity, society is basically now fundamentally dependant on electicity. Maybe not a universe can be created, after all people have different definitions of what a universe is. but just think about what could be possible in a billion years...we could build our own sun. That is if humans are even around anymore...

Did that post make you feel better about yourself? i hope it did
    Seriously man get a life.

11. There is no basis for it though, it's a baseless assumption based ONLY on the rate of technological progression.

Check into Aubrey DeGrey if you wanna know more on the subject.

12. I admit it's a big leap of an assumption but sure there's a basis. Technology has done nothing but progress at an increasing rate...why stop now?

13. I'm not saying it's even a technological barrier, but it could very well be a physical impossibility; sort of like light speed.

Also, there is the very real possibility that if the technological and physical capability where there; that it would destroy our own universe.

I think it's the realm of high science fiction, not a legitimate idea; sorry

14. The concept should seem logical to a certain extent, of coarse we can't create things like galaxies. To be honest I'm not even sure what you're arguing...my point is the fact that the sun will diminish in 3 billion years by that time it's possible that we would be able to create an artificial sun. It's a reasonable thesis considering technology has increased at an excessive rate year after year. 3 billion years is a long time.

Ahhh but where do you separate the two? people use to say it was physically impossible to to do a lot of things. And a lot of fictitious ideas have been made real...like submarines and jetpacks.

15. Yes. Yes it did. Because it reminded me of what a mindless sheep I am not. Is that the best you have to say when someone calls into question your beliefs, and reduces them to such a simple level that you are forced to face the reality of what you have based your faith around?

16. I'm arguing that based on our current knowledge of the universe around us; the things you are proposing and absolutely impossible. They violate the basic, observable laws of the universe.

I do totally understand the exponential increase of technology; the thing YOU don't seem to understand is that there is no concievable mechanisms for the thing you suggest. It's a a baseless assumption.

Look at the work of Aubrey de Grey, he famously uses the same principles, except; his conclusions are only taken seriously by the fact that the technology he proposes is in testing and development as we speak. He talks about how the increase of technology will allow it to become more wide spread, more developed and available.

Yes, but that was at a time when we didn't understand the physics of the universe very well. Comparatively we know much more about how and what our universe is composed of and understand the laws in which it behaves.

Admittedly; there is much we don't know everything, but again, you're just assuming things, without any reason to. It is ad ignorantum, plain and simple.

Yet another logical fallacy; the strawman. There is a tiny bit of a difference between violating the basic physical laws of the universe and legitimate inventions based on tangible technology and mechanisms.

This argument it totally null.

If you're willing to call your idea fictional speculation, than I'm on bored, it's a very cool thing to imagine. If you're trying to portray your idea as a legitimate means to existence; then I'll continue to combat it as such.

17. Membrane theory says you can create your own universes in your basement and it would not harm your own universe, but expand seperately.

18. Oh gotta see, gotta know right now
    What's that riding on your everything?
    It isn't anything at all
    Oh gotta see, gotta know right now
    What's that writing on your shelf
    In the bathrooms and the bad motels?
    No one really cared for it at all
    Not the gravity plan
    Early, early in the morning
    It pulls all on down my sore feet
    I wanna go back to sleep
    In the motions and the things that you say
    It all will fall, fall right into place
    As fruit drops, flesh it sags
    Everything will fall right into place
    When we die, some sink and some lay
    But at least I don't see you float away
    And all the spilt milk, sex and weight
    It all will fall, fall right into place

19. O yeah and our understanding of physics is no where near complete just a while ago we thought that matter was particles :p Now we (mostly) think that matter is 'strings'

20. I'm familiar with M-Theory, but the thing is, that based on our understanding of the universe; we will never be able to grab a hold of those membranes -- because they are OUTSIDE our spacetime continuum.

besides; interdimensional travel is still the stuff of science-fiction.

I'm well aware, thankyou.