Have You Ever Cried Reading A Book?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by LoveisKind, Sep 25, 2014.

1. #1 LoveisKind, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
    I just got done reading a play for one of my classes and it literally made me cry. It takes a lot for me to cry watching movies/reading books, but this one touched me. It was about an interracial couple around World War II and they went through so much just to stay together. The part that made me cry was the part where a black guy (neighbor of the main character) stood up for his mother where a white guy tried to barge in their home (to have his way with her if you know what I mean). Though the white guy threatened him (said the black guy would be hanging off a tree), he stood his ground forbidding him to enter and his mother literally tries to apologize to the white man even though he threatened her son. Just seemed really fucked up that it was like that back then.

2. Soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #3 Blazed'n'Confuzed, Sep 25, 2014
    A few movies have given me that lump in my throat, but I don't think a book has ever done that.

Edit: duuude! I was supposed to be first >:|

360 joints in my body and not one in my pocket.

4. haha na ive never cried from a book but the only time i remember like crying was from the movie hardball or fastball with the little kids who play baseball and keanu reeves is the coach. The part was when the little kid got shot by the shotgun in a driveby after hitting a walk off homerun for his first at bat i think, cant really remember the scene haha

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. When Doby died in Harry Potter.

Sent froma Pineapple under the Sea.

6. #6 LoveisKind, Sep 25, 2014
    So as a female... I am soft?? Hmmm....

7. Light In August by William Faulkner . Great read. 

8. #8 LoveisKind, Sep 25, 2014
    I know that author, but I forgot what else he wrote. Oooh! Looked him up and I read "A Rose for Emily" before.

9. As I Lay Dying and The Sound and the Fury are some of his more popular works , along with the one you just mentioned .

10. I know when I have time, i will definitely be reading more on my own time. I haven't really had the chance to since English majors are stuck reading books teachers assign us haha.

11. Damn I'm surprised they aren't having you taking a stab at some Faulkner. He was one of the greatest American authors of all time.

12. ^^Gangsta tears with no emotion.

13. #15 LoveisKind, Sep 25, 2014
    My teachers covered so many authors and the one class I had that centered around one author was Milton.

14. Not surprising , you could have an entire course just dealing with Paradise Lost and the allegory , simile and hubris littered throughout the epic .

15. I cried when Dumblebore died too

16. closest I came to is from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (the book)

Sent from my U670C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. It's happened more times than I could probably remember but there's a few that come to mind.

Where the Red Fern Grows
    The Kite Runner
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
    And yeah... Harry Potter

I'm easily involved and deeply emotional. :laughing:

18. #20 Tribe66, Sep 25, 2014
    I don't remember crying while reading a book right now, but I cried like a baby at the end of big fish 😁
    Edit: actually I think I've cried to Poe's "Annabel Lee"