Have I ruined my ENTIRE grow with wood choice?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dragon999, Jul 10, 2011.

1. #1 dragon999, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
    Hi guys,

I've prepared everything I need for a solid grow and I think I may have screwed myself with one unexpected element. My choice of wood for building the grow box. The reason is simply this: Particle board emits formaldehyde...this shit smells and it irritates my eyes and throat if the room is left closed for too long without the a/c or the window open.

Problem is, I need to have the window closed at times to maintain humidity levels round my box. The box itself is totally sealed off and vents into the room. (of course the box has vent fans and intake)
    If I close the window the humidity is about right, but the growbox is only circulating air within the room. No new air is coming from the window for the box to pull in.

So I'm just asking this, has anyone else had a problem using particle board and it releasing formaldehyde fumes throughout the grow and damaging your plants? It's been about 3 weeks already since the box was built and its still releasing those fumes when the room is closed. The fumes burn my eyes and irritate my throat. I'm really worried this is going to mess up my grow!

I've covered all the angles, and worked so hard not to miss anything. But this shit could ruin it all. I could have sworn I saw other peoples boxes built out of this.

I read online that it can be aired out after a couple weeks, or it could be covered with some wallpaper or something to reduce it's release. the inside of the box is painted white, but the outside is just bare. Here's a pic of particle board.

The one on top, the bare one.

Particle board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I appreciate any help, and will +rep

2. Forgot to mention that I saw a product in the supermarket that says it removes the formaldehyde odor from the air. It's a spray that you spray into the center of the room and leave it. I've also bought and put activated carbon sacks in the room to suck it up, with little avail. Gonna try the spray tomorrow. Nothing has been germinated by the way. waiting.

3. Bump, with a little additional info.

I found through more research that certain house plants are better at removing formaldehyde from a room, those plants being Spider plants, and Boston ferns.

The only shitty thing about that situation is I'm trying to keep the room totally dark so no light hits my growbox (even though its pretty much light proof). And those spider plants/boston ferns would be sitting in almost total darkness...Oh well, guess they'll have to take one for the ganja team

4. Man...your good tttTRUST ME! 100% Hope this makes you feel better

5. Wow, I never knew that about particle board, so nice one for that! Out-gassing the old formaldehyde eh? Personally I never liked the look of particle board and always avoided the crumbly looking old shit. My box is constructed from MDF which I also just found out emits formaldehyde as gas!!! The box is painted inside and out, and whilst the girls are far from perfect, I've managed to produce some pretty decent yields of high grade shit, so I don't think you need to be concerned about the gas affecting the plants. Best of luck with it all mang!!!!

6. Thanks guys,

For me the formaldehyde is clearly noticable when I walk in the room without having the A/C on. I can feel it burn my eyes and irritate my throat. My growbox is large, two 4x4 rooms, 7 feet high.

I tried the spray today that I have found is made of "sorrel trees". It's supposed to remove the smell. But I'm still gonna cover the outsides of the box with wallpaper or some kind of tape that will seal in the formaldehyde or any other fume it might release. I'm also going to put the spider plants in there to clean the air. I'm going hardcore on this shit.

And for anyone out there who has stumbled upon this page, DO NOT USE PARTICLE BOARD TO BUILD YOUR BOX. Plywood is not good either but has a little less formaldehyde than particle board. This information hasn't been posted ANYWHERE else that I've seen regarding cannabis grows. Stick with a wood that has grains, and if anything ask if has been treated with anything. Or of course, use black and white poly to build your box. I couldn't because of availability issues where I live.

Hahah..wish I could rep myself somehow.

7. #7 Johnny_Cool, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
    It is interesting that putting the AC on makes the air more breathable for you. Surely the AC just cycles the air in the room? That won't remove any of the fumes. Maybe you have a very powerful imagination? No offense intended, I am being quite serious :)

8. #8 dragon999, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
    What it is is that A/C reduces the humidity. Formaldehyde is released at a humidity of over 50%. I'm living in a very humid environment, and if the A/C is off then the humidity climbs to around 70%. This is when the fumes are released most and I feel them burn my eyes. So usually the A/C is on with the window cracked for some fresh air in the room.

I swear I'm not over exaggerating, I do realize I've probably been sounding like a whiny fag. I wish I lived back in the states where I didn't have to worry about all this crap.

9. Well you can do 1 of two things really.#1 replace the wood you walled your box with & #2 wait it out. If its being released as a gas it must be depleting.Given enough time it should become tolerable.I doubt its dangerous as homes are built using this material.I have used it for flooring & roofing best of luck bro.
    BC

10. Be wary of adding new plants... you could introduce a whole host of pests into your house... thats how I have gotten spider mite infestations in the past..

11. Thanks a lot guys,

Yeah I've considered the risks of adding new plants and the pest risk involved with that..I'm thinking I'll check them very carefully before bringing them in. If I feel anything is off I'll definitely not let them in the room let alone buy them. I'm even paranoid of walking into the nursery then coming back home with some mite attached to my clothes.

And about waiting it out, yes I've been doing that, but it's been around a month now and I can still smell that shit. But I think it must be gassing out, I don't think it could have a permanent release. I'm due to start using the box this week..super excited!

From what I've seen there's been no report on the effects of formaldehyde on cannabis. I may be the first to report on this. Which I hope at the end of all this I'll be able to come back and say they turned out fine.