Have I Been Pollinated

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Budzilla1989, Sep 16, 2014.

1. #1 Budzilla1989, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    Unsure if my plants are producing seeds ? I hope they are not ?

Can anyone tell if the swollen things are producing a seed inside ?

I would say I'm 3-4 weeks into flowering

Attached Files:

2. interesting pic!

anyone know?

3. Looks like a resin sack to me but dont think they should be growing there. Im only 20% sure though as ive only had the one harvest, not got my green thumbs yet.

4. Cut one open a moment ago I'm almost certain it's a seed developing but I'm hoping I'm wrong

There was nothing inside however it seed shaped in side ?

Hopefully I can get some advice

I know the pictures are poor but it's difficult getting a good shot under the lamp.

If they are seeds pre forming could I not just harvest and dry now ?

I have really scoured the internet to find the answers but there doesn't seem to be much photos of seeded buds/performing seeds

5. If it is seeded, then just keep the seeds and replant! it will save you time and money.

6. Seeds should be welcomed unless youre growing all girls, then you have a hermie situation.

Looks like two seeds in two of the pics. Ive had plants produce sacks like that and not have seeds inside, but it looks like them.

An odd phenomenon.

Id leave them alone. Once they start seeding they stop trying to make nice buds and focus on seed production.

Too late to do anything now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. it's a female calyx ;)

you want those

8. Yeah I understand it may be too late ,

The buds are covered in crystals and forming nicely
    So I'm praying they are females

There was a hermi which I put down the end of the garden So there's a chance it could of been pollinated .
    I'm getting mixed reviews here I'll try get some better pics but does anyone actually know if it's just a calyx or performing of seeds

9. #9 Kush cookies, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    Don't take my answer as gospel, calyx was the word I was looking for.

10. #10 gone4good, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Mixed reviews? Pokesmot hit the nail on the head...there's definitely seeds forming. I see 2 possibly 3...if you got a hermie anywhere in that room...i don't care if it's 50 ft away it's going to find your flowers...that's your culprit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Open one. You can pinch it or snip it. You can use a needle to pull away the covering. if indeed a hermie get her away like a male. She has self pollinated but pollen is a resilient hunter for a hunger pistil. These females are awesome sluts, they want the pollen! 

12. Cheers guys well that sucks , there was a hermi these were in doors , the hermi was put down the end of the 75ft garden

Well it looks like it's done all me plants then .

Should I continue with the flowering or harvest now ?

13. Top cola look like they haven't been pollinated on all plants

Would harvesting the pollinated buds now before seeds develop fully still produce a half decent stone/smoke they are covered in crystals

Will the top colas develop ?

14. What strain again? You can get away with an Indica you can get away with partial cloudy. If Sativa mostly cloudy would be my recommendation and the earliest. Let some of the pros chime in before deciding or do a check in the "harvesting" section.

15. Are you growing for personal use? if so, and you are fully pollinated just grow them till ripe. You get a lifetime of seeds and a decent smoke, As someone said to me, "who has never bought a good bad of weed with seeds?" Most growers start out that way.

16. Harvested the lot yesterday the strain is white widow x big bud.

Found another hermi in my grow tent 100% pollination . Gutted to say the least

It was only one or two of the 2nd set of lower branches that had hermi

Unbelievable really seeing as the top cola was massive

This is my second grow my first grow was when I was 17 which was a complete success

This is part of the learning curve

Thanks for your posts

17. Well, Bud, if your hermie was from regular seed you could have created some F1 seed that's all female, (assuming yours isn't a genetic hermie). Check this out:

(copied)

i) Sex – Attempts to breed offspring of only one sexual type have led to more misunderstanding than any other facet of Cannabis genetics. The discoveries of McPhee (1925) and Schaffner (1928) showed that pure sexual type and hermaphrodite conditions are inherited and that the percentage of sexual types could be altered by crossing with certain hermaphrodites. Since then it has generally been assumed by researchers and breeders that a cross between ANY unselected hermaphrodite plant and a pistillate seed-parent should result in a population of all pistillate offspring. This is not the case. In most cases, the offspring of hermaphrodite parents tend toward hermaphrodism, which is largely unfavorable for the production of Cannabis other than fiber hemp. This is not to say that there is no tendency for hermaphrodite crosses to alter sex ratios in the offspring. The accidental release of some pollen from predominantly pistillate hermaphrodites, along with the complete eradication of nearly every staminate and staminate hermaphrodite plant may have led to a shift in sexual ratio in domestic populations of sinsemilla Cannabis. It is commonly observed that these strains tend toward 60% to 80% pistillate plants and a few pistillate hermaphrodites are not uncommon in these populations.
    However, a cross can be made which will produce nearly all pistillate or staminate individuals. If the proper pistillate hermaphrodite plant is selected as the pollen parent and a pure pistillate plant is selected as the seed parent it is possible to produce an F1, and subsequent generations, of nearly all pistillate offspring. The proper pistillate hermaphrodite pollen-parent is one which has grown as a pure pistillate plant and at the end of the season, or under artificial environmental stress, begins to develop a very few staminate flowers. If pollen from these few staminate flowers forming on a pistillate plant is applied to a pure pistillate seed parent, the resulting F1 generation should be almost all pistillate with only a few pistillate hermaphrodites. This will also be the case if the selected pistillate hermaphrodite pollen source is selfed and bears its own seeds. Remember that a selfed hermaphrodite gives rise to more hermaphrodites, but a selfed pistillate plant that has given rise to a limited number of staminate flowers in response to environmental stresses should give rise to nearly all pistillate offspring. The F1 offspring may have a slight tendency to produce a few staminate flowers under further environmental stress and these are used to produce F2 seed. A monoecious strain produces 95+% plants with many pistillate and staminate flowers, but a dioecious strain produces 95+% pure pistillate or staminate plants. A plant from a dioecious strain with a few intersexual flowers is a pistillate or staminate hermaphrodite. Therefore, the difference between monoecism and hermaphrodism is one of degree, determined by genetics and environment.
    Crosses may also be performed to produce nearly all staminate offspring. This is accomplished by crossing a pure staminate plant with a staminate plant that has produced a few pistillate flowers due to environmental stress, or selfing the latter plant. It is readily apparent that in the wild this is not a likely possibility. Very few staminate plants live long enough to produce pistillate flowers, and when this does happen the number of seeds produced is limited to the few pistillate flowers that occur. In the case of a pistillate hermaphrodite, it may produce only a few staminate flowers, but each of these may produce thousands of pollen grains, any one of which may fertilize one of the plentiful pistillate flowers, producing a seed. This is another reason that natural Cannabis populations tend toward predominantly pistillate and pistillate hermaphrodite plants. Artificial hermaphrodites can be produced by hormone sprays, mutilation, and altered light cycles. These should prove most useful for fixing traits and sexual type. Drug strains are selected for strong dioecious tendencies. Some breeders select strains with a sex ratio more nearly approaching one than a strain with a high pistillate sex ratio. They believe this reduces the chances of pistillate plants turning hermaphrodite later in the season.