Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Have I Become Allergic To Weed?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by frozilla420, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Brief history: I've smoked on and off for the past 6 years. When I say on and off I mean every day for a couple weeks, then off for a few weeks, then on for a couple days, then off for a couple days, then on for a couple weeks etc. 

I have asthma and food allergies, but few outdoor allergies. Before I could smoke bowl after bowl and maybe after days in a row of HEAVY smoking my lungs would maybe hurt for a day or so, but would recover quickly. 

About a month ago, out of nowhere, sometimes when I would smoke I'd feel some mild chest pain where that bone is in your chest. One day I'd have a little chest pain, the next (on the same stuff) nothing. One day I'd wheeze a little bit, the next day nothing. Also, it wouldn't happen right when I smoked, usually like 30-40 minutes afterwards. 

Does this sound like an allergy to you? A mild panic attack? Or just nothing and I should stop geekin?

Thank you!

Hard to say, man.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a check-up with a doctor and see what they say.  Good luck!

3. when you say "that bone in your chest" do you mean your sternum? your ribs? your xiphoid process? be a little more specific, pull up an anatomical chart please. 

And it sounds like (from what limited info you've given) your lungs are trying to hack shit up. Try edibles or preferably a vape, tell us how that goes.

4. I actually went recently and he said my lungs were clear as could be. I still find I get the occasional wheeze even after not smoking for a month, so I'm thinking it may just be to some seasonal allergy.

I can smoke hookah with no problem so I don't think it's an allergy to smoke. It could be the pollen...but if I touch it my hands don't get itchy or anything. 

5. #5 frozilla420, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
    And when I said bone in my chest I meant my sternum. I talked to the doc about smoking weed and he said it could be a mild allergic reaction of the esophagus which is right in that same area, but didn't seem to think it was a big deal. Told me to quit for a month and see what happens. Still get the occasional wheeze, just a couple times and usually when I'm just sitting around, not during activity - but don't really get that tight sternum feeling anymore

6. odd. you could try smoking different amounts and record the effects. .1 g, .2 g, .3 gs etc.
    and definitely try vaping, there are a number of things in weed (you are inhaling smoke after all) that could be messing with you. 

7. Marijuana smoke is a mild irritant.  I'm sure the irritation is greater with people who have respiratory issues.  When I was a kid, I was diagnosed with Reactive Airway Disease, which is similar to asthma.  I know what pain you are talking about, and it's nothing to be concerned about.  If you were never allergic to weed, you can't become allergic.  That's not how allergies work.  And an allergic reaction to something in your airways would be more severe than a slight wheeze and some chest pain.  I mean your airways would begin to close and you would need to use a rescue inhaler or go to the emergency room ASAP. 

8. Same here sometimes when I'm high I get random body pains but I just simply ignore the pain and focus on the high.
    That's what you should do because the more you focus on the little bad feelings while high the worse and longer it gets.

9. @doormouse oddly I found it to be worse when I used a volcano. At first I thought I may have had some kind of respiratory infection and smoking exacerbated it, it's nothing I was too concerned about until doing TOO much internet research and reading about people who are super allergic to the stuff. Given all my other food allergies, I was concerned I might have acquired an allergy to it....but it doesn't seem like it. 

The more relaxed I am, the less it happens as well, hmm. Thanks for all the responses everyone