Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Have ALS........

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by pvale, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Hi all, I am a 54 yr old male, who has been diagnosed with ALS. I've already progressed far enough that I'm confined most of the time to a powered wheelchair. I still have pretty good use of my hands, but my speech is going, and I'm having trouble swallowing. My progression has been from completely normal to this state in a bit over a year. I am alarmed that it is progressing so fast. As some of you undoubtedly know, there is no real treatment for ALS, and I've supposedly got 3 to 5 years to live. I suspect, with the speed I'm going down hill, that I'm going to be in the lower part of that range. I'm desperate to find something to slow this down. In all of my searching on the net, I keep coming to studies done here and there about the possibility that THC may slow ALS symptoms. I'm willing to try, but I live in a state that has no medical exemption, I don't think, and the penalties for possessing are still rather stiff. But I'm willing to chance it. I don't really know where to get any marijuana, and haven't smoked any for at least 25 years. And then it was just when friends would roll out a joint and pass it around. Moving to California is out of the question, but I may be moving to a state (NE) where the penalties are much less severe. I'm going to see my family Dr next week, and I'm going to ask him if there's any way I can legally do it. So, I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have to help.

2. im sorry to hear such a destructive disease has caught to you but dont loose hope.

my grandfather who passed away last year was diagnosed with ALS in 1988 when he was 60 years old. He started smoking pot that year and said it helped him cope with the stress and made him feel alot better. Ask your doctor and he will hopefully find some medical for you and if not start asking around your neighbourhood,

RIP Gramps 2008

3. Have you contacted Dr. Bob (Robert Melamede) directly? I don't know what the current status is of clinical trials, but it never hurts to inquire.
    rmelamed@uccs.edu

4. I wish I had more to help you. Your doctor may find the articles of interest, too. - Granny

Cannabinol delays symptom onset
    Cannabinol delays symptom onset in SOD1 (G93A) tra...[Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord. 2005] - PubMed Result

Marijuana in the management of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (may need free registration)
    http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/11467101

Cannabis use in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. (may need free registration) http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/15055508

Cannabis' Potential Exciting Researchers in Treatment of ALS, Parkinson's Disease
    http://www.illinoisnorml.org/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=104

5. im sorry to hear about that. my grandfather has lou gehrig disease (i belive it is the samething) and he is very stong. he has had it since '96 and he still walks sometimes (with 2 canes because he cant use a walker) and he takes rulik (i belive thats how its spelt) he takes 2 a day and the pills cost like $140 each. i dont think he ever smoked cannabis because he doesnt like that i do. i just want to tell u that im sorry for u and i hope u are felling better (my grandpa has good days were he could walk around the house or bad days when i have to carry him from his recliner to his bed)