Hate speach?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by JesusC, Sep 11, 2007.

1. http://www.comcast.net/tv/index.jsp?cat=TELEVISION&fn=/2007/09/11/760303.html&cvqh=itn_griffin

This one takes the cake...

In her speech, Griffin said that "a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."

She went on to hold up her Emmy, make an off-color remark about Christ and proclaim, "This award is my god now!"

The comedian's remarks were condemned Monday by Catholic League President Bill Donohue, who called them a "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech."

2. From the D list to the S+P forum! I like how the remark was so offensive, they won't even reprint it! She's a comedian, what the hell could she say that people took seriously?

You'd think the catholic league would have a class action suit to go settle or something, and leave the comedians alone!

3. Waaahhh, someone spoke against my belief, so it's hate speech, waaaaah.

4. Well, that's proof the media is atheist. The Christian right was always telling us how television was unchristian, and to me censorship from a television station after catholics proclaim it inappropriate proves that these atheists are getting there godless, sinful ideas on television.

5. The fact that you think this is a hateful speech and belive that this kind of freedom on TV or in media should not be allowed is sickening. Do you have no respect for others beliefs? I've talk to many Christians that have tried to convert me and I don't wine about it. Maybe it is insulting to my belief in the obvious, and your total misconception of the world and life. I personally hate it when people thank god or jesus for helping them. The last person they should be thanking is god or jesus since they have done nothing to help because the don't exist, they are putting there hard work, and effort and saying it was all god? that makes no sence at all

6. You totally took that out of context. try reading it again.

7. Was this in reference to me or the OP? I was being sarcastic if your comment is directed towards me..

8. I don't see the hate in saying that the main character in a 2000 year old fiction book had no affect on anyone's personal life.

I'm surprised it took someone this long to point that out. She's a comedian; sometimes they point out asinine rituals.

But why censor her if it's not true? No one will possibly believe that Jesus didn't help all the award recipients before her. It was just a joke right? A fantastical idea. Or is there something bigger going on here?