Has marijuana been a "gateway drug" for you?

Discussion in 'General' started by XTC, Mar 9, 2009.

1. I'll admit that had I not tried Mary Jane, I would have never experimented with lsd/shrooms/xtc:D/pills...so yes, for me, it was a gateway drug. But I don't fucking care.

2. I guess so. I tried coke and ecstasy after trying pot. Neither of which I liked.

I still come back to the original. :)

3. I still consider MJ the king of "drugs" (it's not a drug, it's a plant). It will always hold that special place in my heart, as do psilocybin and opiates, but moreso than any other.

4. Tobacco and alcohol were my 2 gateway drugs. Experimented with smoking cigarettes and cigars and drinking beer LONG before ever tried pot...

it was like, once I tried pot (and realized the reagan-era government's lies weren't true) I figured I might as well try LSD, shrooms, pills, etc...

So no, pot absolutely was not a "gateway drug" for me. Nor is it for anyone who has previously tried (much more addictive) tobacco or alcohol.

5. that is not a causal relationship. eg. trying pot did not cause you to try coke. Simply the fact that you tried coke after trying pot does not make it a gateway drug.

I drank soda before I drank beer....does that mean soda led me to drink alcohol?

The "Gateway Drug" hypothesis is some bullshit conjured up by the Reaganites after they realized that actual scientific evidence shows that pot is mostly harmless.

6. I had been drinking and smoking cigarettes before I tried pot, this is true.

However, I don't think I would've had the cajones to try harder drugs had I not gotten my feet wet with weed.

The reason I'd never tried drugs before was because I was unsure of how they would make me feel. Alcohol gives you a buzz, true, and even cigarettes do to an extent, but it's not the same.

7. It was a gateway drug for me in the sense that I would not have the contacts for other drugs if I had not smoked and gained a pot dealer. I would still have done mushrooms, e, acid etc. if I hadn't smoked a day in my life, but it would have been a hell of a lot harder to get.

8. +rep

i hate the term "gateway drug"

9. Who are you to tell me what caused me to try anything?

10. Nope not at all.

I first tried a bit of solid about 9yrs ago & had my first bit of weed about a year later & thats been it - weed all the way since then.

Some mates of mine occasionally do a bit of coke, but I've never even wanted to join in & try a line, I'm happy just to sit with a joint and get smoked up.

Other drugs honestly have no appeal to me, I dont want to start seeing trippy shit or wanna fuck everyone, all I want is to chill and thats all weed does to me so I'm happy...

(I dont even smoke cigs lol, the only time I have tobacco is in a joint!)

11. That example does not fit as one of the substances is not mind altering, whereas weed and anything it would supposedly lead to is. And the gateway drug theory isn't simply saying that because you did this drug you will now do this one. It's saying weed both introduced you to the drug culture where you may be immersed in other drugs, as well as mentally prepared you to be fucked up off of something illegal.

12. Absolutely not. I havent tried any hard drugs. The herb is all I need.:smoke:

13. Marijuana has made me want to try LSD. It's not a main priority of mine, I just want to have an acid trip before I die. My lust for trying LSD did fade quite a bit after I learned that your brain releases nature's strongest hallucinogen when you die, so I guess nature's granted my whish thousands of years before I was even born ;)

The actual reason why I wanted to try LSD anyway was because I ecpected to hallucinate after the first time I smoked marijuana, lol

14. Not at all. I wanted to try LSD/shrooms long before I smoked pot. I didn't until after I started smoking, but only because I couldn't find it before. Besides toking, I've only done LSD and shrooms and I don't really care to try any other drugs in the future.

15. lol. R U KIDDING ME?? Alcohol alters your mind WAY WAY more substantially that pot ever could. And nicotine has some of the same minor psychoactive properties as pot, if u don't believe me, go roll your own cigarette with pouch tobacco and smoke it to your head......

Nicotine and tobacco are DRUGS. HIGHLY addictive drugs at that. The "Gateway Drug Theory" has no stipulation about "only pertaining to 'mind-altering drugs'"

A Nug of Marijuana did not say to you "Hey man, if you enjoy me so much, then you gotta try my friend Heroin"... thats not the way it works.

PEOPLE introduce you to drugs...not inanimate objects.

Your parents tell you pot is bad. You try pot and realize that its not that bad. So you become quasi-skeptical about all the other "bad" drugs your parents told you about as well.

Your parents also told you that sex is bad.... you try it, and realize its really not, so you keep doing. its the same thing.

Pot has been stigmatized as a "middle of the road" drug, somewhere in limbo between tobacco and alcohol and the "hard drugs"... if anything, pot is in the SAME category as tobacco and alcohol. And is MUCH safer than either one.

Obviously, when like 90% of teenagers try pot, a certain percentage of them are going to go on to using hard drugs... once they get into rehab they need something to blame it on (besides themselves) so they say "it all started with pot".. well duh! you don't start off injecting heroin!!!!!

stupid argument.

16. oh ,sorry.. its obvious u started smoking pot to be a badass. :D

17. Alcohol was more of my gateway drug...

18. #19 shesHOLLYWOOD, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009
    I can't be bothered with people like you.
    Seriously.

Everyone tries drugs for different reasons.

I tried to see how it would make me feel. Pot opened the door for me to be able to try harder substances. You assume that someone is "blaming" pot for trying other things. No, obviously I am the one in control of what I do. No one else. You need to get off of your high horse and actually read what I'm posting. Try to understand what I'm saying instead of just jumping on my back over semantics.

To each their own, dude.
    I'm sorry your mind is too feeble to grasp that.
    I won't reply to you anymore.

19. I got high off of mushrooms before I ever got high off of weed. Got high off cocaine before I ever smoked a cigarette or got drunk. I got the 'correct order' all fucked up but man, I smoke weed, but I also do drugs, not really that much to do with each other. I also shower daily and listen to music but that doesnt mean that it's a gateway action to shit in my pants.