harvesting time..

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ganJaXTokEr, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Is it true that the buds on your plant will taste bad if you harvest them 4-5 days after you fertilized the plant? or do you have to wait a week with just giving them straight water...

2. If you enjoy the taste of a little fertilizer, then by all means - go ahead and harvest. If not, then give them plan water for 1 to 2 weeks before harvest.

Or better yet, harvest a bud now, and harvest the rest after a week of water and compair the two so you can find out for yourself (like I did) why thats recommended.

3. On the last week or so, i flush the soil (water with 3x the amount of water the pot holds [ex 1 gal pot = flush with 3gals water])

Then water with straight water until harvest.

4. All this nonsense about flushing is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard. Just keep ferting your plant to the end, you will taste no difference at all.

5. I'm not so sure on that one? If you're using organic ferts then go all the way. If like me you use chem ferts then flush.

This is a hot topic on this site so you might get a lot of differing opinions.

6. flushing is a very good idea. bottom line is, if you don't flush, you're gonna be smoking some nutrients. when a plant nears the end of it's life cycle, it'll start yellowing off. this is the plant using the last of it's energy stores to make sure it's fruit is mature and able to regenerate next season. to make this happen and not have an abundance of fertilizer left in your bud, you need to flush. only a certain amount of this left over fertilizer will be removed after the cure. i read somewhere that canna ferts don't need flushing. right now i'm using chemical ferts "canna" and "house and garden" and plan on flushing both.

7. Flushing is important for indoor grows for several reasons. Because you are growing in a small pot (even 25 gallons is nothing compared to the great outdoors) you have a small amount of soil that is supporting your plant throughout its life. As you add ferts and as the plant draws nutrients up from the soil itself you can have build-ups of salts and other waste in the soil, flushing helps to get rid of that.

Flushing about two weeks before harvest and then halting ferts thereafter is relatively common. I subscribe to the idea that this helps the taste of the final product.

8. There is a HUGE difference with chem ferts, The smoke is alot harsher, and tastes like chemicals if you dont flush the plant. With organic ferts there is not so much of a difference.