Harvesting (cutting ,trimming and curing for noobs)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by IrishBudKing, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I am a relatively new grower, Ive grown a few crops out doors and now move into indoor hydro growing. Ive posted this because I am looking more for other tips from other more experienced growers but the method I use gives you pretty pretty tasty nugs and they burn pretty good.

So here we go,

About 10 to 14 days before I cut the plant I stop using nutes and either flush with straight water or I use some type of flushing agent, This gets all or most of the nutes outta the plant and takes away some of the harshness of the bud and will help it not snap, krackel, pop in ur bowl.

Then when the day comes to cut the plant down I only water once, right when the lights turn on....then wait till the lights go out to give your plant one last day of full light, once the light goes out...i cut that baby down, And hang it upside down in the dark for about 24 hours.

After they have hung for 24 hours ill cut the branches off and hang them for another 12 to 24 hours.

Once thats done and they hung for at least 12 hours ill start trimming all the bigger leaves of leaving the small ones that come off the bud alone. I have several cardboard boxes with string going across the box at different levels. I hang my buds on the strings in the box and store them in a dark place for about 5 days or so ( this will very for each plant you grow) a good way to tell is when the outside of your buds start gitting just a little crispy on the outside. Then I trim the rest of the leaves of the buds and make them look beautiful.

From here you can start putting them in Jars for curing. I fill my jars a little less than halfway full. And I burp (opening the lid to the jars) 3-5 times a day, Ill shorten the amount of times I burp the jars as the buds dry out, and eventually I wont burp them at all.

If while in the jars you think that your buds are to dry, you can add a littlle piece of lettus, or a lemon or orange peel and that will usually fix your problem.

I hope this helps some people, comments and tips are very welcome, if you think I'm an effing idiot let me know....Im always willing to learn.

2. Is all that budd in that picture from an outdoor grow of yours?

3. LOL ya....It is that was a long week of trimming to....the most Ive ever harvested. each bag is 4 oz's. Grown in the woods in 5 gallon buckets.

4. But thats not me in the Pic, thats my old roomate. Im not stupid, and it was a long time ago. I was 19 then im over 30 now.

5. What was the yield on that for how many plants?

6. Id say it looks around 8lbs, but still would like to know as well. Awesome job!

7. Its an amazing sight....

8. #8 IrishBudKing, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    Actually it was around 11 lbs, averaged about 3.5-4 ozs per plant... Most Ive ever grown at one time and best harvest per plant to. I remember we had a couple Tops that weighed 1 oz by its self, very fun. there were 44 or 48 plants total...cant remember which. I know it was more than 40 for sure...and under 50.

9. I just realized there was a person under that haha WTF

10. Wouldnt you want to get all that fresh trim off before the leaves get all crunchy?

11. Thats depends. I found its easier to trim those little guys when they are a little crunchy. Ive done it before to, I just personally think I can trim them better and quicker when they are a little crunchy, I dont think It will make a difference in the end product either way, actually it might even make your buds dry a little quicker if you take them off earlier.

12. I just grow for myself so I take off all the shade leaves and leave the sugar leaves that are too embedded in the bud for later. I leave the final manicuring job for when they are about to go into jars for curing. My idea behind it is that leaving those few sugar leaves on the plant will allow it to dry a bit slower for a better end product, I'd rather wait one more day for drying then snip all of them off in the beginning, but to each his own. I manually screen all the excess sugar leafs/trim over a kief box and then make hash or whatever I'm feeling like. :smoking:

13. I am actually very interested in making hash but haven't found a very clear way of doing it. I found some videos on youtube but I just dont think they are right, have any pointers?

14. dude, that is one sweet ass couch