Harvesting at exact time

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HealthAnSports, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Hello fellow blades I was wondering the 8 week mark of flowering is coming up for my white domina finally and the price for the electricity was more than expected I have had opinions from close friends that I should let it flower longer, longer flower more bud right ? But I have read online that it could possibly lower your THC reducing potency so degrades if left to flower longer I'm not sure who is right this is a first grow and I wanted to know who has tried to let it flower longer ? I do not have a magnifying glass and can't acquire one to check the color of the thing could I just cut them a day after or on the 8 week mark

2. #2 snoopdog6502, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
    what kind of lights are you using? better lights finish faster.

If they have 50%+ red hairs they are ready, thats the quick and dirty method of knowing.

pics?

3. #3 HealthAnSports, Feb 14, 2014
    250 watt Hps and a 105 and 42 watt cfl the lights are off but I will definitely post a pic tomorrow my bad you said red hairs ahh those white looking tentacles coming out the bud ? They are still white at the moment
    Sent from my B1-710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

you can see the big red or white hairs on the bud, are they red?

5. Yes sorry I noticed after you meant hairs not trichomes some buds is turning red and receding into the bud but most are white about 85% white hairs

6. #6 snoopdog6502, Feb 14, 2014

man, if you can wait you should. your friends gave you good advice and Im with them.

Jumping the gun is not good, they will get frosty if you give it some more time.

7. There is nothing worse than immature herb. The "8 week" Mark is a guideline, is in no way set in stone, and is usually not long enough. If you cut those plants now you will lose out on weight, flavor and aromas.

Worst thing you could do.

The very last thing if be worrying about is an extra couple of weeks of electricity - how much could it possibly cost to run a little light like that?

J

8. Bro let it go. If the hairs are white lol. Let me tell u something about those last couple weeks. I just finished my first plant. I had the self control to just let it ride a little. I got donkey dick colas hangin now when just a bit ago they were lil golf ball tops. Sounds like u are a few weeks still

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. The end of the flowering period is breath taking. What a plant

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Even at $0.25/kwh (the highest rate I remember seeing) and assuming cfl numbers are actual watts used it'd be 12ish cents an hour or about a buck fifty a day while on 12/12. Double that for 24/0 obviously. You sure it's the grow spiking your power bill and not heating your house or some other thing?

11. Thank you blades for your advice, my bill has been 2,000$ since December when I started my strain is a 8 week strain I'll let it flower for a week or two longer seeing as everyone is telling me its the best thing to do, but I always thought that the flowering cycles should try to be followed like not cutting under or way after the set date, doesnt the plant stop growing? Near the end of its cycle that's why I figured why would I flower longer

12. you also make a point thanks I'll look into that and see if the heating is increasing the bill since it was recently and we still are in winter where I live

13. < Got a little too crazy with my 60x microscope trying to harvest at the "exact time" :smoking:

14. Here are the pics as promised my first grow and its decent not good but its not bad strain white domina doesn't have very strong odour but from close it does most buds have white hairs

Attached Files:

15. excuse me, but what??  2000$?  are you running electric heat in a 3000 sq ft home with he windows open??  thats just absurd.  your light has cost you 100$ tops over these 8 weeks.  id worry about insulating your house before chopping early.  Jesus ppl...

16. 2k$ electric bill! something is wrong here 400watts is about what you are using. what was the bill before you started the grow?

Twas Ever Thus!

17. what are you talking about blade ? I have heating where and live and all doors places where cold can come In is insulated the temp inside is at 30 Celsius which is probably why the bill reached 2,000$ including the lights besides from the beginning to December until now I would still expect it to cost a lot

18. when I first moved in the bill was normal even using the AC everyday during the summer i live in a townhouse and there is like a "super" of the housing in December the bill was 200-300 , two months and a half later he tells me the bill has gone up due to more electricity usage he would probably know since he has records of how much energy each tenant uses

19. #19 zippy657, Feb 14, 2014
    what im talking about is that its almost comical that someone might think a 400W draw for 12 hours a day could contribute significantly to a 2000$ electric bill, and that if it is costing you that much to heat your home in for the winter then you need better insulation... what im talking about is exactly what i said.  if you finished the 5th grade you should know that .4 x .25 x 12 x 70 = 84... yes thats 84 dollars for your whole grow at the highest electric rates on earth...  this leaves 1916$ in other electric costs over 2 months which is completely nuts unless you live in an uninsulated 3000sq foot home.  

20. Okay Mr genius you make a point I never said the 2000$ was solely from my lights I'm aware heating costs a lot especially with bad or no insulation in your home , I only said the bill was 2000 and I was considering to harvest at the 8 week point but you guys changed my mind I'll give it more time I'll also insulate my home at a later date lower the temperature inside and check the bill after a while