Hard Time Letting Go

Discussion in 'Pets' started by pinkbubbles, Apr 8, 2022.

1. So my daschund will be 17 in August and for the past 6 months she's been declining pretty quick. I know the most humane thing to do is to have her put down but everytime I start thinking about it I start crying and can't bring myself to make the appt. I have had plenty of animals through the years but this one is different...I got her when I was starting out on my own and it was always me and her.

Do any of you have experience with this and how did u muster up the ability to make the appt?

I'm stuck...knowing Very well what I need to do I just can't do it

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Can't help there... Really sorry tho..she clearly had a very long and I'm sure very good life.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's hard. Knowing it's the right call and doing it are very different.
    I wish you the best of luck and hope you can make the right decision.
    My wife and I had both our original dogs which we set out into the world with when we met.
    it was one of the hardest things to get them to get along.
    However they became great friends.
    We ended up having to put them down cause our children were very small and they were declining. So it may have been a bit easier having a new focus however it still didn't make it easy. Remember you aren't replacing or forgetting about all the years you had. You Always can make a picture book for yourself, like a documentation of your journey together.
    Lots of tears and sad nights. Anyways. I wish you the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sorry for your dog’s deteriorating health.
    I have experience I’m sorry to say. We had a dear 18 year old cat whose kidneys started to fail, hard.

You pick up the phone and call.
    You just say I need to put my family pet down.
    Cry is OK, they know, they will direct the conversation for you and you can cry all you want.

The vet that put our Freddie down, arranged for us to enter and leave from a side door.
    The staff cried too, they know.
    They handled his end of life with the utmost respect and reverence.
    They sent us a sympathy card signed by the staff.

@pinkbubbles, do the right thing and pick up the phone and call. It’s not easy, it’s hard, and it’s gut wrenching and heart breaking. But if you love your dog, you will let him go, without pain and suffering, and with dignity, because it’s the right thing and the best thing.

Take a deep breath and make the call. Nothing that anyone can say will make it easier.
    Very sorry that your dog is in his sunset.
    Respect,

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. @pinkbubbles

I couldn't have said it any better then this. We had to put down the Best dog that ever lived 3 years ago now and it still hurts. Damn I'm sitting here with eyes full of tears for the both of you. My wife would not let go until I was carrying the poor thing out to pee. She had stopped eating 3 days before that and I knew that the dog knew better then either of her humans did that it was time.

BNW

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Respect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. U can have ppl come to ur house and do it so the dog/u r comfortable. That’s what I did with my Aussie few years back think it was like 700 to have er put down and ashes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Thanks everyone I'm gonna call the vet when they open this morning...I emailed them about an hr ago to let them know so I can't back out of it...fuck this sucks so bad I'm a frigging wreck, but really I appreciate the condolences from everyone and thanks for the nudge weedweasle

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I just called and made the appt and it's for noon today so I took the day off work to hangout with her and spoil her with treats and say goodbye until it's time.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. There were two injections, a general tranquilizer followed by a lethal injection.
    They gave me a choice, if I wanted to admin the final injection, I opted not to.
    They took him away for a moment, and brought him back with an IV. We gave him the gen tranquilizer. He finally got some relief from his pain, we said goodby, and then we left through the side door.
    Condolences to you.

11. #11 420JoeBlow, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    I wish you all the strength in the world. Dont drive if your to emotional. If you need help, ask for it. Find comfort in the good life you got to provide and share with her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Oh my gosh...who is cutting onions:cry:

Im so sorry about your dog friend. You had the best life together and nothing can change that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Stay with her and hold her to the end. In a long lifetime of pets the one I really regret is the first Dog that the vet refused to let us stay. We should have just left and found another Veterinarian. I'm sorry Camille I wasn't there when you needed me the most.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. So sorry to hear. Just went through three weeks ago. She was 15. we were together 14. There are no words to make it easier. I only lasted a week alone, then went down to the shelter and adopted a 2yr old coonhound. We are becoming friends but there is no replacing what was lost. Prayers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. I said muster, not master....its all good tho. I really do appreciate you guys tho it is making this time a little easier. My sister is driving me to the appt tho cuz there's no way I can drive like this. I just keep feeding her treats and giving her what she wants....she's had 3 packs of Carl Budding turkey

• Friendly Friendly x 5
  16. Might be time for me to get some reading glasses. I legitimately misread that at least 5 times.

Good call asking your sister for help, I hope she is able to offer some comfort as well. Never be afraid to lien on loved ones when you need to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Well it's done and she went out peacefully...it was nice the vet said, if you know it's the right time and you aren't questioning if your making the right decision...you waited too long. He's been her vet for all 16.5 years of her life too. They were really good about it and my sister was amazing. Its been a tough day but I know I made the right decision. Thanks again everyone for all your kind words.

• Friendly Friendly x 7
  18. IMG_20210808_161604.jpg

Lost her in August
    If you can handle it stay til the end
    They are scared but it is peaceful and humane

Sorry for your loss

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I stayed til the end...probably longer than I should have but I would never leave her like that...I know some ppl do but there's no way I could do that to her...im sorry for your loss as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. I Never Had To Have My Dog Go Through That He Die At Home Suddenly. I Very Sorry Tho @pinkbubbles R.I.P To Your Dascund Sis. I Will Say A Prayer For Her Tonight An She Will Waiting For You On The Rainbow Bridge Too. :sad::cry:

~Toni~

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2