Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Hard Candy and Oil Separation?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by loganhopeless, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Hello All! I've been working on making hard candy. I am using 3 parts sugar, 2 parts corn syrup, and 1 part infused coconut oil I made. I let the sugar and corn syrup get to 260, then added my flavoring, then when it hit 300 I added my oil. The problem is it seems the oil is separating.. Even as the candy is setting it's separating! Any advice?

2. Are you already an experienced hard candy maker ?
    In any case we see this all to often and the usual advice is to practice with plain Coconut oil first to get your methods down pat before risking the infused oil.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    The best candy thread is here but Kat isn't around to ask questions of.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it
    Psam is another thread you can ask on as he cooks more then I do and it's an active thread and he will reply if you pose a question.

I make and take the Canna oil in capsules not messing with making it into foods.
    BNW

3. There's 196 pages in that thread... Any idea which one the candy recipe is on?

4. BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    This should take you to that section of the page.
    Near the bottom of the first page is her UV glowing candy recipe and it's close to the other hard candy one just omit the Tonic water.
    I'll dig further and see if I can remember just where the other recipe is as I read really fast.
    BNW

5. Hard candy is difficult when using oil as the infuser and even BadKitty advised to practice with virgin batches until you're comfortable you've got it right. One cup of sugar will only absorb about a half ounce of oil and the rest will separate out like yours. Because you're using so little oil it has to be really concentrated to have any punch and that's where her use of hash made a big difference. It's a lot more difficult to get her results with flower extraction.

There's one outright problem with the recipe you used. You cannot heat the cannaoil to 300°F without degrading much of your THC. If you're adding color then you add it at 260, not the flavor. Many flavors are terpenes and will flash off higher than that, losing much of it. You should add your oil and flavor after it has reached the hard crack stage and returned to 260°. Most if not all the bubbling has stopped by then. BadKitty told me the key to the oil is not to stir it like crazy like I'm prone to do but to fold the oil into the candy. It takes practice.

Personally, I don't have the patience for that so I just use Green Dragon tincture. Works great. :sneaky:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Thank you! I prefer making oil from flower just because on Sundays my dispensary sells their ounces for like $45, but I will try a batch with hash oil. I made another batch yesterday with a spoonful of Soy Lecithin, and had no separation at all and turned out perfect, but just not as potent as I want. I'm going to make a more potent oil, and not let it get to 300 this time and hope that does the trick.

7. When you make your canna-capsules, have you calculated how many mg are in each? Or a ballpark of how potent making hash oil is?

8. Rough guess based on how hard they hit compared to tested dispensary edibles mine are in the 100-150mg range.
    Hash runs in the 40% range or higher depending on the starting material so it would be 400mg of THC per gram of hash. I feel my dry ice kief is higher more in the 50-60% range.
    BNW