Happy frog vs Miracle grow soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ljle, May 20, 2020.

1. Is miracle grow better for growing cannabis than happy frog. I have read the amazing quality’s of happy frog but have always had great luck with miracle grow. I see miracle grow fertilizers last six months which could effect the outcome during harvest or so I’m told. I am currently on my second round of plants and I decided to test this. In my pictures the biggest plant is miracle grow and the others are happy frog. The miracle grow is literally taking off. The pre flowers are almost the same height as the plant in its entirety at only 20 days old. Basically has anyone tried this and what were the results, My head just keeps spinning when I ponder this topic. Thank you for any help.

Attached Files:

2. It's been tried hundreds of times. Yep. That's why the results have become the answer that miracle gro is in fact, NOT ideal for growing cannabis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MG is synthetic no good for MJ

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thank you, that is good news. When I jumped into this new hobby I looked for weeks for happy frog. All stores within 50 miles sold out, most out until next season. I finally found about 25 2 cubic feet bags out of state and bought them all lol wise investment I suppose.

5. happy frog is better because you control the inputs.. Time-released fertilizers are not what we want.. That said you will have to feed them

6. Yeah, I got the basic trio fox farm fertilizers. Big bloom, Tiger Bloom and Grow big. I got the sledgehammer as well and I follow the book to a T. Couple grow tents for veg and flower with 1000 watt LED lights. I’ve got the setup just need the experience now, thank you for the feedback this is my second post and always helpful feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  7. My opinion soil is soil.
    But drainage and looseness will not be the same,
    Mg requires a lot of perlite mixed into it . mg also has large chunks of clay in it .
    You can use mg and get some great grows just know you will be required to do a LOT of prep work to prepare it before you can use it . Happy frog has good quality . Currently im using pro mix xp its lowest cost and it requires zero prep work before planting and you can get it shipped to your home for free if you buy over 100 bags . Ok my opinion is if you feed your plants nutrients .
    If your not giving nutrients there will be a MAJOR difference is soil brands .

8. So what about starting in party cups with MG ? Its the only thing I have right now. You guys think its ok to start in MG in a party cup and then transplant into 1 Gal during veg and 5 Gal to finish ? I would have used FFOF in the 1 and 5 Gal pots

9. Wouldn’t go this route, seedlings don’t need many nutrients, the two cotyledons the plant has when it first breaks soil and tosses of its helmet are more than sufficient to sustain to the point where it should be transplanted, assuming all other factors are optimal, giving it its best opportunity to get as much out of the cotyledons as possible. I’ve seen new grower after new grower having seedlings in MG with time released nutes, have their plants absolutely toasted by the nutes in it. Shoot, happened to me on my first growing attempt when I was younger. It’s not worth the headache, I would wait till I have a soil suitable for cannabis grow as opposed to giving myself the headache. I use promix for seedlings as its inert, fluffy, and doesn’t really require much additional perlite (my personal opinion some around here would prefer 70% perlite 30% medium if they could it seems haha). Don’t jump the gun is my opinion, I’m sure you want to get to growing but there’s no sense in making a bigger issue for yourself when you have experienced growers trying to lead you away from the fire that is MG.

10. Thank you, I am finishing off a run right now and I want to grow back to back, so might as well start them already and save a few weeks.

I think Ill just start them in Rapid Rooters and by the weekend my run should be complete and chopped. I can re use the FFOF by then. Screw the MG

11. The 1 guy I know who grows with MG always has stuff that tastes like hay. Every time, doesn't matter strain, type, etc. Looks fine, doesn't smell bad, but doesn't really smell good(if ya know what I mean), but tastes like hay and is harsh as well. Could be his drying/curing idk, but pretty consistent hay flavor.

12. I think you’re right by saying it’s his curing/drying process, however he could just be flushing improperly or not at all. For organic soils there’s an open discussion as to whether flushing is necessary are not, however MG is not “organic”, so it’s possible that the MG contributes to the harshness, I can’t personally confirm whether scent is lost or changed to MG but I do know that no flush on synthetic nutes does affect things to a point. Any grow I’ve done has been organic, with the occasional top dressing which opens the door to a flush possibly being necessary depending who you ask. This go around I’m using composts, worm castings, building myself a verimcompost system, as well as using inoculated clover to really just experiment and see how/if the nitrogen boost is provides a marginal difference or if it is noticeable.

13. MG grows veg like a beast and you get so excited, but in flower you will always have trouble. Never fails.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I've had plenty of outdoor crops with mg. Still using the fertilizer for indoor veg stage. Don't let no one trick you it works great

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. #16 GroBuddy, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    no ones tricking me MG are fake nutrients, I do research I don't listen to anyone on here for the most part, if they don't like what I say that's on them, most growing experiences differ, if I don't know what I am talking about I usually keep my mouth shut.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I keep mine shut too. You are probably right about fake nutrients but it has worked great for me and made me happy. I'm not saying plenty of others are not better. I'm saying for cheap and if used right it does work. So I don't keep my mouth shut if it works good for my experience.

17. But he'll yes, happy frog is superior compared

18. Personally I never use mg soil. I used compost, perlite and peat moss and I am new to indoors but have done well outdoors and hoping to indoors.

19. I actually did a comparison of this awhile back using clones.

MG Veggie mix
    FF Ocean Forrest
    MG Organic
    Black Magic

The only poor performer was the MG Organic, I suspect due to the heavy clay like soil with inadequate drainage.

The MG veggie mix was pretty close to the other two which were nearly indistinguishable between the two of them (FF and BM)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1