Gun laws and medical marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by bostonDGK, Apr 8, 2012.

1. When you have your med card, are you allowed to own firearms?
    Wasn't sure what section to place this in.
    Need serious answer, no trolling.

2. Curious as well

3. State dependant. If you have your MMJ for a mental problem, anxiety or w/e else you can then that would go against your right to carry. Here at least, you sign a paper saying you don't suffer from any mental illnesses during the firearms process. I know nothing about MMJ but know if I declare myself mentally unbalanced at all then I can not own firearms.

You also sign some jibberish about drug intake, but prescription may change that. I would love to hear some insight on that aspect of it. MMJ for pain + firearms

4. It depends on how far the government wants to take it.

Guns are regulated on a federal level, and marijuana is deemed illegal on the federal level.

Possessing a MMJ card would make you, under the law, an" irresponsible drug user." Again, these are only my beliefs because weed is illegal on the federal level.

I'm not sure if you would get turned down the purchase of a firearm or not if you had your MMJ card; I'm not in a medicated state. It would make sense for them to turn you down though, the way the law is written.

-OSUB

5. BATFE sent notices to gun dealers telling them that if they sold to mmj users they could have their ffl revoked. Also the NICS check has a question about drug use, and a positive answer is grounds for a denial.
    As MLK jr said, an unjust law is a law that must be violated. But he also spent a few nights in jail for his beliefs... do what ya want.

6. Thank all of you for your responses. I was very curious about this subject bc ive never really heard anyone say anything about it.

7. So what if you already own a gun? Is there any question or checking of that when getting a card?

8. I have bought three guns while having my mmj. I heard though u not able to get a concealed weapons permit if you are an mmj user.

9. I don't think the FBI or BATFE access your medical records when doing the background checks. But it might vary from state to state. I think in some states the cops have access to Med mj patient lists. I know in NY the concealed carry/pistol permit info doesn't even come up on the cops computer if they run your plates or licence in a traffic stop.
    With all that being said, you would obviously be very wise to keep your stoner life and your shooting life separate. Only carry one hobby at a time. Those felony charges get expensive and very inconvenient. And a lot of cops like civilians with guns as much as they like civilians with weed.

10. if you get caught you will get a "weapons under disability" charge. i think.

-OSUB

11. BUMP --

Hopefully this link clarifies the ATF's stance on this subject:

http://www.nssf.org/share/PDF/ATFOpenLetter092111.pdf

Basically this says that anyone in possession of a MMC(medical marijuana card) must say they are an unlawful user of marijuana because in the eyes of the Fed gov't, marijuana has no medical value.

To anyone trying to legally purchase a firearm who is also a MMJ patient -- I would be careful. I have heard from more than one reliable source that the ATF may attempt to gain possession of records of those who have MMJ cards and registered firearms to take "appropriate action" (seize the firearms) -- in the sake of "public safety"

12. [quote name='"s w i s h e r"']BUMP --

Hopefully this link clarifies the ATF's stance on this subject:

http://www.nssf.org/share/PDF/ATFOpenLetter092111.pdf

Basically this says that anyone in possession of a MMC(medical marijuana card) must say they are an unlawful user of marijuana because in the eyes of the Fed gov't, marijuana has no medical value.

To anyone trying to legally purchase a firearm who is also a MMJ patient -- I would be careful. I have heard from more than one reliable source that the ATF may attempt to gain possession of records of those who have MMJ cards and registered firearms to take "appropriate action" (seize the firearms) -- in the sake of "public safety"[/quote]

Well I just got my new 20 gage shotgun with no prob. 2nd gun this year. I am a mmj in ca

13. Good for you man -- I'm a strong supporter of the right to bear arms. I really hope you get to keep that thing and those alphabet boys stay the hell away.

14. California isn't different because you don't have to use a central registry.

15. [quote name='"SourDeezel420"']California isn't different because you don't have to use a central registry.[/quote]

That is correct.

16. There might be legal grounds to fight that in court though. Just because someone has an MMJ card doesn't mean they use medical marijuana. I know a few people who have their cards just for the sake of having them and to support the community as a whole. Having an MMJ card is like a get out of jail free card for anyone around you that is in possession and doesn't have their card.

If the government wanted to take your firearms on the grounds that you had an MMJ card I would think they had to actually prove that you used the stuff in the first place.

17. For sure -- I'd prefer to not even have to deal with all that shit, though. The government should go back to letting us handle what we do and how we do it.