Guitar players!!

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by IvGotMilk, Dec 24, 2010.

1. I am considering buying a guitar at christmas so I can learn to play - I think it'd be pretty sweet to make my own music wherever I go with a guitar :)

So my question is, how easy are they to learn?

I don't wanna be plucking the strings I wanna be able to play stuff like Bon Iver, Oasis that kinda stuff. I heard wonderwalls pretty easy to learn but what about learning the whole process of playing?

Thanks GC :smoke:

2. Acoustics are best to learn on, gets your fingers more of a workout.
    All you really need to know is chords, and once you get them down the rest comes easy, least it did for me.

I've got myself one of these [​IMG]

and an old Yamaha electric.

3. what that guy said acoustics are great you could also look into getting a fender squier but if your pretty serious you could probably find a mexican made fender on the internet for less than a shop price

4. I'd say get an acoustic to start with. Seagull makes some nice ones.

Put the effort into it and you'll see results. It won't come easily, but once you get the hang of it, the instrument becomes a part of you. I can just feel where to go on the fretboard now because my muscles have memorized the movements (or some shit).

Good luck...

NICE ^ He suggested a Fender Mexican Strat. I second that suggestion, OP.

5. Hey learning guitar is great and alot of fun if you just wanna learn and be able to play a few songs. to learn tabs and simple chords go to ultimate-guitar.com
    however, if you are hoping to master the guitar one day and serious about learning it takes alot of effort and practice. you should be able to put in at least 30 minutes 6 out of 7 days a week. the absolute best way to learn is getting a good teacher, but it might be pricey and you might end up with a sloppy teacher. the second way i recommend is getting learn and master guitar with steve krenz. it teaches you how to read music and play different styles, such as blues, rock, fingerstyle, and jazz. I'm currently learning through his dvds right now. each 50 minute video is about a 2 week lesson, so dont think you can zoom past every video and be done with the dvd its gonna take time and effort. also the dvd comes with workshop videos where steve plays along and practices the lesson with you. I only watch these videos once or maybe twice and then i read the manual if i forgot something in the lesson and then i place the workshop book in front of me and practice the current lesson for about 30 minutes every day.

6. Hey man, Definately get an acoustic guitar first and my suggestion is upon getting it look up chord names and how to play them on youtube. All that happens next is pure practice on that once you have the movements down move on to some easy songs. You said you wanted to play Bon Iver and some of there songs are fairly simple. The song Flume is only a C, Em, G, and F chords. The time it takes is very based on your musical ability. it took me around a week or two to learn most of the basic chords and then after that years of practice to truly master smooth, good playing. But again it depends. ITS WORTH IT THOUGH.!!!! =)

7. The effort you put into it determines how easy it is

8. Go for it man. I started 9 years ago and haven't looked back since. First I just played chords, then a few easy blues licks, then I took some lessons, and within 2 or 3 years of starting I could improvise pretty good and knew a decent bit of theory. Nowadays I can shred. Once I picked up the guitar I became addicted, I spent most of my free time playing guitar in 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grade... I still play every day, but not for hours on end like I used to.

Just remember not to get discouraged. I have friends who had potential and got way too down on themselves and pretty much quit. Just don't give up and remember that it's about making music. Even if it's just a few chords it's still a beautiful thing.

Also, don't settle for a shitty beginner guitar, they are really much harder to play and sound way worse. The recommendations so far sound good. My first electric was an OLP MM1, best beginner guitar I've ever played. It's basically the cheaper brand of Ernie Ball, which were used by Eddie Van Halen for a long time. Fender Mexicans are pretty decent. I've always liked Ibanez as well, I currently have a rg3120 and it is amazing. LTD (ESP) makes great guitars too.

I wish I could tell you more about acoustics, but I only play electrics unless I'm at a friends house (though I love acoustics as well, just don't have the cash for one atm).

9. I third the "Fender Mexican Strat " (MIM) thing.
    Stuff like Oasis I would say is "intermediate" difficulty.

10. To do with the "shit guitar" thing - my advice would be get yourself a nice one (like a Mexican) AND a shit one with deliberately high action etc. - persoally I use a shit nylon strung acoustic. Practise on the shit one - This will as previous posters said give your fingers good exercise, the when you play the nice one it's that much easier. Like running with weights on your legs.

11. Wow thanks for the feedback guys :)
    I'll deffinately be buying one after christmas, I agree making music is a beautiful thing

I will keep this thread updated with which guitar I buy, what song I learn etc

Stay Tuned kids!:D

12. Ok so I bought a guitar last week - acoustic, nylon strings!

Have learnt the intro to "Many of Horror" by Biffy Clyro
    and Wonderwall by Oasis just now! :D

13. Get a Seagull for sure, they're great acoustics.

My Seagull got stolen, and I recently bought a more expensive Ibanez - I'm pissed at myself for not going with a Seagull again, in comparison the Ibanez is terrible.

Seagull s6

[​IMG]

14. Oh, nevermind - I didn't see your last post.

So you got a classical guitar? Those are more for finger picking, but hope you enjoy it either way.

It might be weird switching to a normal guitar after learning on that, the necks on those things are way wider.

15. It's a really basic I got for £50 which is like 100 dollars or near about.

I had the option between steel string and nylon for the same price but I got the nylon to see whether or not I liked playing (which I do) so once I've got a few more songs/ chords learned I should be investing in a new, better guitar :)

16. Usually I find, apart from the neck width adjustment you mention which only takes about ten minutes for your hands to adjust, that after playing a nylon acoustic once you switch to a low action steel strung electric for example it's like playing through hot butter..... it's a good thing.
    I think you made the right choice in going for a cheap nylon acoustic - It'll get you off the ground while you're planning what good guitar you're going to get and also it'll build your finger strength.
    Don't strain your fingers too much and give them rsi though in your enthusiasm. When you feel cramps etc. back off for a while.
    I still say a lovely Mexican Strat would be a perfect first "nice" guitar to get.