Guitar Players?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by viewfair, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Hey just a question to people who play guitars, when you first started playing, was it hard, were you terrible at first or did you pick it up quickly, ive tried to pick it up, but can't figure it out, I get too frustrated and give up and or can't understand the tabs, but everytime I hear a rift by David Gilmore, or like a hurricane by Neil Young, it just makes me want to play so bad.

2. Its hard at first especially if you're trying to teach yourself. If you have a teacher its going to be a lottt easier but still your hands hurt and it takes a good amount of time to be able to play some good stuff.

3. #3 garrison68, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2010
    Playing David Gilmore, or most any pro of his level, is not going to happen in a matter of weeks or months, it takes years of practice and study to be able to do that. But, you will be able to learn the chords to some of Neil Young's songs when you reach an advanced beginner stage.

Do you have a teacher? That could make things much easier. as somebody just mentioned as I was typing. Nobody ever knows "everything" about guitar or music, there's always more to learn, and the majority of great musicians have studied with teachers.

4. Playing the guitar takes a lot of self motivation. A lot of people struggle at first, and may doubt themselves, but in time you'll get better. Play whenever you can.

5. I started playing when I was 12. So imagine a retarded 12 year old trying to figure out chords. I remember my parents regretting getting me a guitar, but I stuck with it and now I'm pretty good. I've only had a few lessons, mostly self taught. No theory, just feel. I'll probably get theory eventually, but I'm happy where I am now. I'm in a band and we're working on recording an EP. So just stick with it man, let you're passion guide you. You'll want to give up, I can promise you that. But stick with it, it's worth it. Even if you just learn a few chords and play acoustic songs to get laid. It's all good man.

6. The more you practice, the better you get. But honestly... if you're not having fun with it, you probably won't stick with it. The same goes for any instrument. Music should be fun regardless of your skill level.

When something's fun, you do it more. When you do it more, you get better at it. Next thing you know, you're really good at something, probably thinking you're a natural... because you were having so much fun that you didn't realize you were practicing 8 - 10 hours a day. ;)

Steve Vai said something like that in an interview once when asked about being naturally gifted. He said he thought he was, but then realized it was just because he was learning music while everyone else was chasing girls, partying, etc...

Just don't push until you feel pain, get cramped up, etc... or just burn out on it all together. Try different methods of learning, different styles of music, different practice routines, etc... to keep things a little more exciting.

7. Just take some lessons for 1-2 years and after that your own your own.

8. It's important to keep that passion you have, and keep listening to those songs and analyzing what's happening with the guitar. But remember there is not only the skill that those musicians have mastered but their tone is crafted again with their equipment and in the studio, which creates more distance between the guy at home on his beginner rig and the big time guitarists.

I recommend you take lessons through a teacher, if not a book or guide, maybe online if you want to save on cost. Learn simple things, don't try take on a whole song just learn riffs and chord progressions and you'll probably find it easier to do bar chords at first (maybe learn a Nirvana song or something) and work up from small things, and develop different techniques one at a time.

9. Honestly I don't have the time to read thru the posts so sorry if I repeat anything. BUT....

1) Learning (and self teaching) guitar is 100% possible as long as you're willing to dedicate the time and effort. There's nothing that is completely out of reach in regards to guitar, however it demands something from you.

2) The internet is a great way to learn, but you need to take everything with a grain of salt. Books are great.

3) Learn the way the notes work their way up and down each string, learn open chords, learn barre chords. Pay attention to chord progressions as they foreshadow the ideas behind the music theory that you'll eventually learn as you become more proficient.

4) Every year or so you start to get bored with what you're playing. It feels repetitive, but you have to be able to break through that. This syndrome afflicted a friend I grew up playing with. Its kind of a shame to see it happen.

5) Thats awesome it makes you feel like playing. Playing guitar, you can reach spots of your soul and define them musically. You can really channel energy - good and bad - and connect to fuckin' space and eternity and shit. So I always tell someone whose curious to try it, but understand what you're getting in to. Its a responsibility, just a very rewarding one.

10. i know exactly what you mean man, i have a guitar and i wanna learn to play so bad, i just get frustrated so easily cuz i don't pick it up that fast. I know it'll take dedication, just practice a lil bit everyday and you'll get better. That's what i have to do, just start practicing more