guidance needed

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by newbeee, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Pitt, in my opinon just that 100w HPS will work for one plant. Maybe use the flouros while there seedlings but keep it simple,

2. yea HPS work good i hear, but they cost and arm and a leg, and use wayyyy to much energy... thats why im workin with these Floro lights.. keeps the area at a cool temp, and u dont have to worry about them burning or making ur grow area so hot that they die.. if u go with floro, get as many as u can, with the most Lumens and pushes the most wats.

3. Im digging your setup SECNEEK... its quite clean... for being all flour. ...

So you guys think that with just the 100w HPS i'll be just fine... I was thinking that with the other 4 flourescants I would be able to hit those botton leaves that dont recieve that much light... is this a good technique??? to have the 4 flour. tubes a the botton and the HPS hanging above!!

Its amazing... I had no idea about growing til' I came accross this forum... its astonishing how much Ive learned about all this by just reading posts, and posting myself and asking questions... loving it!!!

thats for the good advice again bro!

Late

Pitt

4. Pitt, is that you on that site?

About the lights, my opinon, one 100HPS is good for one plant, the flouros cant hurt, would probably help a little, but....more heat, more electricity, more plugs on that circuit and so on. I would keep it simple but thats just me, I would classify myself as a succesful newbie. Not an expert.

And DUDE I know your only talkin about one plant but do you really want to advertise your real name, your face and how to find you!

5. Yup...

youre right...
    hahaha i forgot.. too stoned... hahaha

thanxx for the tips though bro... i appreciate it...

Late

Pitt

6. pitt i edited the post for you, so as there is no link to yourself......

7. Thanks Sid I didnt know if I could do that or just A moderator.

Now if I could just get rid of these frikkin spidermites!!!!

8. Everything is going great. I have question....my setup seems to be too big for a small computer fan to handle. And even if you put like four of those in I don't think it will do anything to reduce the remperature inside the box. Can someone tell me what size of box or setup you are using together with these computer fans where you have achieved significant reductions in temperature. I want to know the volume (hight X width X length ) of your setup.

9. Dont use a box myself, just a closet. I know some people have to use a box for whatever reason, but to many limitations for my taste.

Closet is 8' high 2' deep 6'long
    Grow area I use 2x4=8 square feet
    1 250W HPS
    2 3 1/2" computer fans (cool in warm out)
    1 Full size box fan
    1 3 prong grounded timer.
    1 Radio Shack 3amp 1.5-12 volt adaptor

Its been running 75-85 depending on the weather
    MUCH better than the oven I had before

Good luck

10. SID or anyone, Here's my question. My plants are on a 18/6 light cycle. I have read somethings about topping, my understanding is that, I should not topp the plant until it is at least 12 inches tall...is this correct? If not what's the correct height that this is done. Can you also explain to me what topping is and where exactly do you cut the plant ? After topping do you change the light cycle to more dark times than light under an HPS light and induce growth plus flowering? Any help would be appreciated as always.

Peace

11. Hey Sid...

Thanxx for editing that post.. didnt reliaze it til nikdog pointed it out... my bad... keep up the good work guys..

Pitt

12. newbee, couple of things, topping can work ive done it myself,
    heres my opinon.

Dont top until after the 5 or 6 node, understand? each node is the start of another set of leaves. plant will usually be between 8-12 inches depending on internodal spacing.

Top means top, I know there are some pictures on this forum somewhere (maybe sid knows) but basically cut that girl off right at the top.

The plant will start to grow two tops instead of one I would give it 1-2 weeks to recover before changing the light cycle. you want to see the "V" forming

Also there is another method to consider, take string and tie near the top GENTLY bend the top over and tape the other end of the string with duct tape to the potter. I have used this method also (currentely doing this now) this will essentially do the same thing and the smaller branches along the stalk will start reaching up. just be careful I havent done it but ive heard of people snapping there babys in half YIKES. dont tie the string to tight and each day or 2 you can adjust them down a little more I beleive this is what they call a form of "training"

Ive used both methods and I cant say for sure wich one I like best but im leaning twords "training" instead of topping

Good luck

13. Well, I wish I had a digital camera. My babies are growing really well. I will top the plants when they have more than 6 nodes and give them one week to recover and then change the light cycle to longer nights than day. By the way if I am using 18/6 ( 18 light hours ) when I change th light cycle, what should be the number be? 12/12 ? Thats all for now. Thanks for the help.

p.s. I am also using shltx grow fert. 10-10-10 now. I am going to get something else with a higher middle value when putting the plants into flowering. Any recommendations? Please tell me the store name too ... I live in the US.

14. Yes 12/12 is the light schedule for budding

Im going to stay out of the fert thing, I personally think if you have decent soil you dont need to be to excited about using ferts that being said I use a 15-30-15 for flowering but I only use it maybe once a month. To much fert is as bad as to little

Good luck

15. so nikidog, was i right about the stuff i said i am going to do once the plants have more than 6 nodes?

16. i just started growing my plants like 3 weeks ago this is the first time i actually got my plants to start growing but i have alot of questions i will expain if someone answers my posting

17. Go ahead and post your questions. SID or Nikidog or other nice people on here will help you out. But if you get sometime please read Sid's guide. It will give you a good foundation to start.

Peace

18. Yep newbees got it,read the grow guides first then come back with questions it will make yours and our life much easyer.

Newbee sounds good to me how tall are the plants and how old?

19. they are inbetween 7-9 inches they are about 2-3 weeks old i built a fram and then i used strech wrap to wrap around the fram to hold in heat and moisture. it stays at around the same temp i really dont need to make any mods to that but i was woundering if i should keep a air tight lid on it or if i should take the lid off and let them breath and just keep a heat lamp on it. someone help answer my questions. i was also wondering what light to night ratio should i use a couple of people tell me to leave the light on all the time some say 18/6 some 12/12. help

20. Onetherun...Once again read Sid's grow guide. During flowering I think the light cycle is 12/12 ( 12 light and 12 dark. 18/6 cycle is for the vegetative stage. About the lid....a plant is a living breathing organism, I would highly recommened a good air circulation in the grow area. Like one outlet for the warm air to be trhown out and one inlet to take in nice cool air. It all depends on your own setup. Hope this helps a bit. I am sure the other experts on here will be able to give more details, than what I can as I am the "newbeee"

Peace!