Guess What

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Dizzy, Sep 2, 2021.

1. We Finally (Almost) Got Enough Money to Buy That R.V We Been Wanting for the Longest Times. We Going to Go Traveling in That Boy When We Get it...All 6 of us. Do Anybody Else On Here Have One of These at All? They Fun?

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  2. @Dizzy I haven't lived in an RV, but I've lived in DIY campers before. If you can take the crowding, it's great. Cooking can be a challenge in a DIY camper, but with a real RV, they usually have a kitchen you can work in.

As newly-weds, my hubby and I bought an old Divco milk truck (aka the "Turtle") for $600. We tore out the metal racks, sold them for scrap and turned it into a camper. On that raised part across the middle of the van, I painted some small vines with flowers to make it an "understated" hippie van. We lived in it for about a year before renting an apartment. I was glad to have a real kitchen after living in the Divco. The "Turtle" finally "died" on the way back from a camping trip about 5 years into our marriage. :(

upload_2021-9-1_19-41-1.png

Years later, after we had kids, we got a slightly larger delivery van and converted it. We did a better job setting up this one (better kitchen & more storage area) and it was big enough for the 4 of us. We did many camping trips to the redwoods and beaches- lots of fun times! Having the freedom to take mini-vacations whenever we wanted was wonderful and quite educational for my boys. :D

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1

3. That's Cool Granny! I Bet The Van was Pretty. OMG You Seen The Red Woods? I always Wanted to go There Sis! How Tall are They?

~Toni~

4. They can be great. But expensive to own, lotta work to maintain, and not great to drive. Unless you are towing a car, you are relatively confined to wherever your camping. Seems like most people are going for what Granny had. Smaller, cheaper to own and use, less to keep up with. But if you need a shower every day and to cook 3 meals and have most of the comforts of home, you need a big RV. And being that there are 6 of you, small isnt really an option. Personally i dont like to travel with many people. If you pack light and move fast you get to do twice as much stuff in the same amount of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Not a purchase I'd ever make personally.

6. @Dizzy Hon, I lived in the redwoods. For a couple of years, we rented a place with 3 redwoods on the lot, with ferns and wild berries everywhere there wasn't a lawn. It was beautiful, but isolated, so I home-schooled my two sons while we lived there, rather than have them endure an hour-long bus ride to the school in Crescent City.

The redwoods ARE all they are said to be! Mind-blowingly tall and ancient! The oldest redwood is around 2,500 years old, so it was already about 500 years old when Jesus was born. They are definitely worth seeing.

If you go up the coast, check out "Trees of Mystery" near Crescent City. It's a fun little tourist trap that your kids will enjoy. It has a nice little Native American/ pioneer museum, and was (when I lived near it) uncrowded on week days. For camping in that area, "Jed Smith State Park" to the north is good.

But take your time getting here, right now, the National parks in northern California are closed, as are lot of the state parks, because of the fires and smoke. Spring is glorious in the redwoods, the rhododendrons and wildflowers are in bloom. There are a lot of cool places to visit all over America .

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. WOW 2,500 Years Old! :eek::eek2: Thats Amazing! You Got Me Really Wantin to See Them Sis!

Thank You for The Advise Granny! I Love Flowers alot too They are Pretty!

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  8. California has the tallest trees, biggest trees, and oldest trees (I believe). Lucky to have visited all of them.

Planning a offroad/camping trip to the redwoods this fall/winter, went to Sequoia last year.

Dizzy, my mom had a smallish RV, had a bedroom bath and kitchen, enough to sleep 5 adults, we took it on a road trip across the Sierra, it was fun, but I prefer my jeep and tent. But the hot showers is a nice luxury.
    Takes like $500 to fill the tank!