Guess the speed, get a ticket in Ohio.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by ng_hammy, Jun 6, 2010.

1. US News - Supreme Court Ruling Allows Ohio Officers to Guess Your Speed

Now to me this seems fucked up. Guessing the speed!? No scientific method!?
    Abuse of power anyone?

2. If cops were respectable this wouldn't be as bad. But seeing as most of them abuse their powers already and act like they're above everyone else in the county, it's a horrible idea. Good thing I don't live in Ohio.

3. Maybe it's only for people going so insanely fast it's completely noticeable and unforgivable?
    The fuck am I kidding. I shouldn't be defending that. That's bullshit.

4. My buddy got a ticket from a cop who guessed his speed was like 50 mph in a 30. I forget what state but they are allowed to do so. He took the case to court and pulled the cops ticket record that day, and more than 3/4 of the tickets he issued he said the people were going 50mph. So he said to judge..."so the cop issued tickets at exactly 50 mph, not 51,52,53, but 50. Funniest thing is he took out a pen and said to the cop, "how fast is this pen traveling?" and he throws the pen across the room. Anyways, he got off, and the moral is to check out the cops records for that day or previous days.

5. Haha I thought the same thing. But I'm sure it will only be for speeds really noticeable, they may hold up in court but I think if his real speed was too close to the limit it would be a tough case. I'm sure to avoid all the legal bs cops will only use it for the reckless noticeable speeds.

6. Thats a fantastic idea!!!:rolleyes:

7. This is also the same state that banned smoking cigarettes in your own car in one of its towns.

I am not surprised.

:rolleyes:

8. yeah but its also the most decrimm'd state in the US.

9. It's a state that allows law enforcement to issue you a DUID if you have any cannabinoids in your system, period.

If you smoked a j 2 days ago and never smoked another day of your life, and a cop in ohio decides to have you tested because he suspects you're high, say hello to a DUID.

You can have it, but you can't smoke it. :rolleyes:

10. thats why you dont smoke when you drive. they will have no reason so test you unless theres probable cause.

11. You realize that cannabinoids stay in your system well after you've sobered up, right?

They can make up anything for probable cause to say they thought you were high. That comes with a 24 hour mandatory holdover because your eyes were red, squinted or you sounded high.

Then comes the piss test.

Which, if you're a daily smoker, you're going to fail miserably because the cannabinoids will stay in your system for at least 30 days since the last time you smoked.

Don't defend a state passing unconstitutional laws, dude.

12. im not in anyway shape or form supporting the law? im just saying dont be stupid when drivin around and you'll be fine. i live in ohio im the one who has to worry. i used to smoke and drive around all the time but now i never do cause im not tryin to get fucked by the law. the law is in no way fair i know that but theres nothing we can do about it. obama even wants other states to follow our lead which is bullshit

13. You think that a state that is allowing a cops visual judgment sans any scientific method for determining speed as proof is going to have qualms with a cop stating that he thought you were high as probable cause?

It has nothing to do with smoking while driving because even if you smoked a joint LAST WEEK and it was the only time you had ever smoked weed and last time you will ever and a cop profiles you and gets you tested, you will be issued a DUID, even though you were COMPLETELY SOBER BY THE TIME HE PULLED YOU OVER.

Don't act like you're fine if you just don't smoke and drive, because a cop can pull you over for anything if you look like a stoner and fuck your life.

14. thank you i know. im not trying to argue because i know what the laws are. ive been pulled over before in ohio, multiple times, with weed in the car and have been fine. although that was before the law was put into effect, either way as long as your car doesnt reek of weed or your not acting stupid you will be fine, unless you meet some dick ass cop. its as simple as that when getting pulled over in anystate or anyone. if you get pulled over because the cop thinks your going to fast well then take your speeding ticket and move on. just dont be stupid and you'll be fine.

15. I'm glad I don't live in Ohio, but I DO live in Jersey and those car salesmen suck...