GTA: Why is it that when you're in a certain car you see lots of that same car?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by hippie flip, Mar 28, 2011.

1. #1 hippie flip, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
    Always wondered this. Why does it have to happen?

I apologize if this does not make any sense.

2. I've always wondered the same thing. Maybe they did it as some sort of joke to express how the same thing occures in real life? Always noticing people driving the same cars you drive, as if there are many to choose from.

Either that or they have similar cars riding around just in case you fuck yours up, you can go ahead and steal another. I mean, you can steal any car you want basically so you're gonna be driving a car you like, right? Therefore they want you to enjoy it by spamming the game with similar cars.

Idk im high

3. idk, that is a question i've asked myself.

4. i think for some reason it cuts down on the graphic processing to help the game run smoother. it really pisses me off when im in a minivan and theres nothing but other minivans and slow ass cars cruisin around

5. they do it on purpose

I mean it kinda makes sense, that way you dont have a bunch of pickups and limos driving down the same street

6. i'm leaning more towards something to do with graphic processing, like the game will have a hard time loading lots of different cars so it just loads the same one...

7. Whatever the case may be.. It's a good thing, cuz when u wreck ur fancy Banshee or whatever your ride of choice is (if we talking gta4 then it'd be the Tursimo).. There's always a few more for you to steal... Works for me.

8. That always bugged me

I was always looking for a nice Infernus or Banshee, finally found one, then see dozens of them cruising down the street.

9. Lol always wondered this myself.

10. I know this feeling lol

11. lazy developers maybe. As long as I got Radio Los Santos bumpin I don't give a fuck.

12. yeah I always remember when you had to collect all the cars and when you'd finally find the car you needed, millions would appear.
    I always assumed it was something to do with the info for the car you're in getting brought to the surface of the randomizer, if you know what I mean.
    I know nothing about programming so I may be miles off, but I remember seeing this guy with a mod on a game, and every object he interacted with, he had a little window up that showed the data files for those specific objects, so when he would interact with something it would come to the top of the list.
    So I always assumed, GTA has a list of cars in a randomizer, but the one you're in goes to the top of the list, and therefore appears more often at that time.
    This may all be bullshit, who knows

13. The developers of GTA are anything but lazy

14. It has to do something with the memory available. In gta all the cars are listed in categories such as trucks, sports cars, poor cars, and so on.... So when you are in one category of vehicle then the game will automatically start pulling cars out of that class so it can save nanoseconds in loading times, thus making the game run faster. nanoseconds might not seem like a lot but it is a big difference when it comes to computing for games like this. I think if you are playing on a fast pc you can stop it from doing this. Anyways this is what i believe... im not a high level programmer though so i do not know for sure.

15. screw the cars I drive around town in my m1 Abrams :)

16. But i usually drive a tank

17. Ah yes.. Park that bitch in front of the po station, next thing you know...

18. yep, just like The Engineer said. its all car classes.

If you get in a certain car that will cause it to spawn other cars of similar or equal quality.

19. This thread is chalked full of nostalgia.

20. you guys have made me want to play this game some more. not that i need to with 30+ million dollars every safe house tanks fbi trucks etc lol and no cheat codes either... i think i have like 700 hours logged on that game