GS's Northern Lights Feminized-No Nute-Soil-Tent Grow.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Grows&Smokes, Nov 17, 2011.

1. #21 Grows&Smokes, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
    400 Watt, 55,000 lumens. Same as my old bulb but its supposed to put out more of the violet, blue and green spectrums than other bulbs which should help in overall vitallity of growth....only time will tell if it was worth the extra money I spent on it but I couldnt resist giving it a try.

2. #22 Grows&Smokes, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
    Days 17-23 veg. Got my new bulb last night and installed it this morning. Have my tent ready and got my plants in a few hours before lights-out. I need to do some pruning on bigger plant but I will wait a few days to do it...The plants will be slightly stressed going from my t-5 to my HPS so the last thing I want to do is stress them out even more by pruning at the same time.

Attached Files:

3. [quote name='"growsensmokes"']Days 17-23 veg. Got my new bulb last night and installed it this morning. Have my tent ready and got my plants in a few hours before lights-out. I need to do some pruning on bigger plant but I will wait a few days to do it...The plants will be slightly stressed going from my t-5 to my HPS so the last thing I want to do is stress them out even more by pruning at the same time.[/quote]

Yeah your plants are looking great I have to say! That new bulb is sick I'm gonna be upgrading from my cfls when flowering hits what does plant stress look like? Just curly leaves, droopy and just stressed looking? Lol

4. #24 Grows&Smokes, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
    A lot of times you wont even see the stress, growth will just slow to a halt almost, but droppy leaves can be a sign of stress also. Stress is a good thing in small doses, such as LST or pruning...but you have choose the right time to apply it so it is beneficial to the plant. In fact I just pruned all but the top 2 fan leaves from my bigger plant to get all the light to my secondary growth, that is a definate stress to my plant but now is the right time for me to do it...once the plant starts to flower I dont like prune any leaves unless I have to.. I will post a pic tomorrow.

5. [quote name='"growsensmokes"']

A lot of times you wont even see the stress, growth will just slow to a halt almost, but droppy leaves can be a sign of stress also. Stress is a good thing in small doses, such as LST or pruning...but you have choose the right time to apply it so it is beneficial to the plant. In fact I just pruned all but the top 2 fan leaves from my bigger plant to get all the light to my secondary growth, that is a definate stress to my plant but now is the right time for me to do it...once the plant starts to flower I dont like prune any leaves unless I have to.. I will post a pic tomorrow.[/quote]

O ok cool deal yeah my plants look like there stressed out from the lst and top but I got 2 new lights in there so we will see how that goes, yeah I was thinking I should prune a little bit in like a week to let everything get light not to sure how to do it effectively

6. More light is always a good thing! :hello:

7. Very nice looking little plants you have there.

8. Thanks weedmon, Im going to update tonight with some pics, looks like GS finally fixed their pic-uploading issues.

9. [quote name='"growsensmokes"']

Thanks weedmon, Im going to update tonight with some pics, looks like GS finally fixed their pic-uploading issues.[/QUOTE]

Are you liking that new bulb?? Also are you doing 24-0 or 18-6?

10. #30 Grows&Smokes, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    Day 21-27 veg...seems like putting them in my tent has stressed them a bit. the bigger plant is actually showing pre-flower already!!! I'm hoping this does not slow down or even stop the upward growth. I basically pruned every fan leaf off the bigger plant 3 days ago so all the growth you can see is secondary growth, the good growth that turns into buds... I am def. having heat issues too...going to get a more powerful intake/cooling fan this weekend. It has been 4 weeks of growth in these pots for the bigger plant so it's time to get her into a 3 gallon pot with fresh soil tomorrow, then the smaller I will repot a few days later...going to go from the Happy Frog to the Ocean Forest when I repot....still just water, no nutes.......Boketh, I am on 18-6 light cycle, not a big fan of 24 hour lighting, it's not natural.

Attached Files:

11. [quote name='"growsensmokes"']Day 21-27 veg...seems like putting them in my tent has stressed them a bit. the bigger plant is actually showing pre-flower already!!! I'm hoping this does not slow down or even stop the upward growth. I basically pruned every fan leaf off the bigger plant 3 days ago so all the growth you can see is secondary growth, the good growth that turns into buds... I am def. having heat issues too...going to get a more powerful intake/cooling fan this weekend. Boketh, I am on 18-6 light cycle, not a big fan of 24 hour lighting, it's not natural.[/quote]

They are looking great I think nice and big and green mmmm lol I'm thinking I'm gonna switch to 18-6 tomorrow I'm seeing what looks to me pistis coming out on all 3 of mine already irk lol, what's your temps like in your tent?? Also would prunin be a good idea for my lst plant since its so bushy?? Maybe prune a few leaves off my other ones??

12. Im having trouble keeping my temps below 86 for the entire time my lights are on. I even decided to bring in air from outside, and its pretty cool in my area right now..and still I am having trouble...I am positive a more powerful intake fan will solve my problem. I dont like to recommend pruning to people because most people will say its not a good Idea, its just something I like to do because I personally think it helps tremendously when the plant is fairly small. Maybe get through your first grow first and you can try it on your next.

13. [quote name='"growsensmokes"']Im having trouble keeping my temps below 86 for the entire time my lights are on. I even decided to bring in air from outside, and its pretty cool in my area right now..and still I am having trouble...I am positive a more powerful intake fan will solve my problem. I dont like to recommend pruning to people because most people will say its not a good Idea, its just something I like to do because I personally think it helps tremendously when the plant is fairly small. Maybe get through your first grow first and you can try it on your next.[/quote]

Ahh that's pretty high I put in a few more lights now my temps hover around 75 I have my fan on 1 but it blows the leaves alot on 2 is that bad or does it matter if there shaking alot?? Well when your pruning do you cut the leaves at the stem or at base of leaf?

14. Most people use oscillating fans so they are not getting a constant breeze on them, but what I do is bounce the air off the walls inside my tent so its not blowing directly on them...as far as the pruning goes it dosent really matter where you prune the leaf at because the stem thats left just dies and falls off no matter where you cut the leaf off.

15. pullin up my seat for this. Subbed
    Best of luck bro

16. Thanks for stoppin by. :hello:

Im in the middle of installing my new intake fan right now...I have pretty high hopes that it will solve my heat problems....its 170 cfm so its probably going to work too well so Im going to have to keep my eye on my temps so it doesnt get too cold in there until my thermostatic control arrives in the mail....Its always something!!!!!!

17. right on! new harware is always fun

cpl questions:
    is this grow to be somewhat stealthy?
    using the 1 tent for Veg and flower?
    is your HPS a cool Tube or box style reflector?
    and as im in the market for HID lighting, i was thinking of 2X 600 vs 1X 1000
    if you werent having the heat isuuses would you rather have a 600?
    I dunno is it even possible to but anything larger in those tents??
    just rambling here, recently medicated lol

18. Yes, somewhat stealthy..I actually have a seperate veg area but I like to veg them under my HPS for awhile before I start flowering cycle. 400 watts is just about perfect for my space...and my reflector is air-cooled but just from the air inside my house...Im bringing in cool air from outside to cool inside of tent, plus its fresh air thats good for the plants...if I used the cool outside air to cool my light I would lose that benefit

19. im guessing your outside air isnt as frosty as the air here.
    im zone 5b

how was smell of last harvest, do you scrub the air ? or vent outside?
    odour is an issue that concerns me.
    I can smell them now when you first enter my house lol. not strong weed odour but u smell fresh green growth.
    Can just imagine when they flower gonna get alot worse. planning on scrubbing air and keeping it in the house. offset the furnace a little over these cold months.

20. Havent had a huge odor problem, I think it smells great but you really cant smell it anywhere but in my basement...I can get away with that...plus I only grow 2 at a time and the tent seems to hold down the mell quiet a bit... which helps the smell from getting too out of control.