Growth has slowed down, almost stopped.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by uberkush, Sep 8, 2011.

1. I have two plants in a mixture of garden compost, topsoil, and a little bit of miracle grow perlite. They started out strong, then seemed to slow down and now i feel like their not even growing. The other two plants i have started are growing fine and quite quickly, so im assuming its something to do with the soil. Could it be a ph problem? And if so how do i test and fix this?

2. Compost is basically a concentrate of nutes. You should have added some peat moss to the mixture. Miracle Grow perlite usually has added nutes. You may want to check this because the combination of compost and nuted perlite, probably gave you nutrient lock. Good luck.

3. Ok what do you think would be the easiest way to fix it? Should i make the mixture more topsoil and less compost next time?

4. If you're new to this, I would just go buy a soil premix like Fox Farm or something. If you insist on using compost, try using 25% compost, 45% peatmoss or coca coir, 30% perlite. Mix it all together. Stay away from nuted perlite or any additive that has time released nutrients. you want to be able to add the nutes as needed.

5. Well i would buy that but i know they dont sell it anywhere near me and i already bought topsoil, compost, and perlite. I really dont want to spend much money but i can probably get peatmoss and perlite at homedepot right?