Growing with organic amendments

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Cjsk813, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Hey there growers I’m looking for some help as to flushing my Organic soil , done some research and it seems the way I’m growing is considered a no flush required . Well I assumed this was true as I was going through my first grow I could not get the leaves to fade like the nutes were being depleted. Ended up harvesting and the Taste and scent weren’t there like I wanted. Long story short I’m onto my next grow almost at the end of flower and I’m still looking for that fade that I’m not getting , I’ve been told when growing this way that the plant naturally stops up taking nutes when it reaches the end of flower? Well if that’s tru then why am I not seeing the fade needed to ensure my flush is complete when my buds look ready . I am currently using Mother Earth organic amendments with coco and perlite Molasses and enzymes leaves stay dark green

Attached Files:

2. You still have about 3 weeks left by the looks of it

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thank man I was thinkin 2 but I’ll shoot the extra 1 to hope for that fade . Do you think it’s possible that I have too much in the soil maybe?

4. Some fade more than others. It’s possible you were a little heavy on N inputs. I mix a veg mix and a flower mix and transplant at appropriate times to keep it as water only as possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. IME the flavor and taste have more to do with proper drying and curing than how much the plant does or doesnt fade. Some plants just won't fade when grown in soil.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum[/QUOTE]

7. Really I thought the fade was necessary for me to avoid the same problems that a bottled nutrient grower would have if they didn’t flush

8. [/QUOTE]

1/3 peat mix (I like sunshine advanced mix #4) 1/3 compost (ewc and chicken manure), and 1/3 aeration (pumice, Perlite, rice hulls, whatever)

1 cup per cf (7.5 gallons) of each amendment

Kelp meal
    Alfalfa meal
    Neem seed meal
    Feather meal
    Fish bone meal
    Oyster shell flour
    Crab shell meal
    Langbeinite

1/2 cup per cf of guanos

Seabird guano
    High P guano
    K-mag or Sul-Mag-Po

1.5 cups per cf of rock dusts and Biochar

Glacial rock dust
    Basalt rock dust

9. I'll second this.

My last run in coco I did a 5 day flush on one gal and 1 day flush on her twin.

Dried and cured in the same conditions. The smoke was identical.

Even using bottled nutrients a flush is only essential when you have mad salt build up from not watering correctly or over feeding. I was able to get my EC/ppm down to the same number after 1 day flush vs 5 day flush simply because my feedings were frequent and low and because I watered to ~15% runoff everytime.

Quality of smoke, taste, flavor, IMO like scooby said, come from proper dry and cure. 10-14 day min on drying.
    If you hit 10-14 days drying. And cure for 2 weeks to a month, you will notice the taste and flavor I promise

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I think flushing with bottled nutrients is a bit iffy , its supposed to leach the chemical nutrients and salt buildup out of the soil so the plant is forced to use whatever it has left in storage, hence why it fades . They want to get rid of the chemical nutes because of the harsh flavour. With organic amendments flushing would be a waste as you should be opting away from chemicals in the first place, it could also leach alot of your good nutes out of the soil.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I’ve had the opposite experience. When running DTW coco with 2-3 feeds per day. I had an emergency harvest due to bud rot, and no flush. The smoke was harsh and burned black ash. When I “flush” for a week, I’m really just giving plain water feeds 2-3 times a day to runoff until ppms get down to 200 or so (tap is 100 ppm), the sample is smooth even without a cure. In fact, nobody could tell the difference between the DTW and my organic grown meds on the other side of the room.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Okay I’ll give this a shot on this run I definitely did have dry buds by a week of hanging last time and only cured for a week or two before smoking so maybe less air flow in my drying areas and a longer cure time could help effect my taste ina positive way . On the other hand I would like to get a fade this time around to see the results myself. Does anyone have an amount that they use to top dress or pre mix so I can compare how much I use

13. Okay so your giving them plain water 2-3 times a day when “flushing” for a week. do you dump the run off? And also do you get the fade I speak of on most of yours?

14. I definitely get the fade and I collected the runoff, tested ppms, and dumped it. Same thing I did all during the Grow.

I’ve been messing with organic, water only soil for awhile. I think this was my last Grow in one gallon pots of Royal Gold Tupur, fed twice a day to runoff (55 gallon res with pump on a timer and 20 site homemade pvc manifold)

[​IMG]

15. A bottled nutrient grower will run into problems if they don’t flush properly because of the nutrients they are using. When you use bottled nutes they are salt based fertilizers that are ready to uptake by the roots using osmotic pressure the wetting and drying capillary action that happens inside a hydro system. But with organics you are giving the soil what it needs and letting it break down/ chelate the nutrients down to the smallest particle possible so the plants root system, the hyphae and the michorrhizae network can uptake these very bio available particles.

No need to flush, just give water only with no inputs but even the inputs most no till/ organic growers do use would be fine to feed up till the day you cut down.

• Like Like x 2