growing with lasers?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by leftkidney, Nov 5, 2011.

1. well this is a strange one, I was getting into lasers and was thinking that I have a 445nm blue laser diode that I can run at 2 watts and it puts out a huge rectangle of blue light when not focused using a lens - it is really bright and even out shines the head lights on my car by far covering the same area, my garage door covering the whole 25x10ft area no problem at only 3ft away

I also have a dpss 532nm green laser that is about 1 watt but being green its much brighter then the blue one or red - I also have a hene 635nm red laser thats around 5 watts and since its red it is almost as bright - also a UV laser thats switchable from 157nm, 193nm, 248nm, 308nm and 351nm thats around 300millawatts - I even got 980nm and 1078nm IR lasers to cover the whole spectrum almost

combined using a lens I can make it into a white laser beam which is pretty cool, other colors also by turning off 1 of them, 7 colors in total

I was thinking that if you could put these into a small 4x4x4 ft area you would have no problem lighting up that area with full white light and you could varry the lasers to get different colors of light including UV and IR light if needed - the dpss (diode pumped solid state) 532nm green laser is actually a 980nm pumped to 532nm so it puts out IR anyways unless its filtered using a lens

using this you would have almost full spectrum lighting and although you would have to wear eye protection when using it it should work

think about it, a laser is just a really powerful LED that is focusing light, but without a lens the light scatters really fast and you end up with a huge cone of light that is brighter then any flashlight out there by far - it just will blind you before you can close your eyes so theres that, lol

2. Working with a much higher focused power like lasers would probably be a bad idea for several reasons.

Idk about your particular lasers or their quality but running them 24/7 or even 12/12 would probably burn out your diodes much faster than with typical use and cost more than normal lighting to replace. You probably have a good chance to fry your plants with this as LED already has some bleaching issues in leaves.

You are getting a good sampling of the spectrum but not a good spectrum overall, it looks like your blue and red are sort of close to some peak chlorophyll absorptions but more spectrum is better and it wouldn't be cost effective to buy all those laser in the particular spectrum you want/need/

IR in lasers is quite powerful and without the IR filtered lens the IR is what is doing most of the work when you burn something with your laser. Also not much information as to whether IR is beneficial or harmful in certain spectrums. The same with your UV, it looks like none of the spectrum it is capable of is good to the plant, in fact they are all harmful and would really hurt with that kind of power.

Not to mention the danger of that much laser power to your eyes putting on eye wear every time would just be a pain but not a huge deal.

3. Give it a go...forget the UV and IR, stick with the white, red and blue if you can plot these things on the chart, in the right areas...then you could be on to something, currently there are many mixed reviews on LED's

But lasers is something new, after all it's all in the Lumens

Peace

"V"

Attached Files:

4. many lasers can run for 24 hours strait no problem as long as the diode is in a good heat sink - a hene laser can run and does run for many years non stop in some cases - some lasers namely dpss ones have trouble with long life uses but there are now solid state 532nm green lasers which should have no problem running non stop

the cost isnt that much, most diodes are under $100 and some under $50 and you will only need a few of them maybe only 1 of each depending on the size of the area

there are also many other lasers I can get that are different wavelengths - pretty much almost every color can be made and there are like 30 or so single color lasers of different colors

I have a 405nm purple laser which is close enough to UV to make things fluores or glow in the dark like a black light will do

I thought that UV light is good for the last week or so of flowering, a friend who is a botanist said that UV can be a good thing in late flowering but said if it is cheep to do then not a bad idea

but yea the fact that you will have to wear special glasses to enter the room without going blind that sucks - but what about a small clone box or something like that

we are talking about lumens in excess of 100 lumens per square meter which is close to what the sun can do and only using a mere few watts or power compared to LED's that produce nothing over 30-50 lumens per square meter at most and consume around the same amount of watts - if you could narrow down things to the size of a clone tray with a lens you would have lots of lumens, maybe to much

there would have to be some good safety things in place to prevent eye damage but maybe a whole box that when opened it will trip a switch that turns it off and turns on a small light to see what you are doing

5. another thing to note is that the blue lasers are used in JVC front projectors as the blue part of the red green blue part of a projector so its safe to look at without glasses as long as its not directly from the diode directly the projectors have either 24 or 48 blue 445nm diodes depending on the model - the projectors dont use red or green lasers because they arent as bright as led's of the same color in the same size diode and needing way more heat sinks but if you didnt have to worry about size you could make a large heat sink and have no problems really

6. Your purple 405 would be much closer to the actual useful UV spectrum, the lower parts are more inclined to damage them. Also where do you source your diodes?

But sure, let's say you get 4 different spectrums, that is at least $200 in equipment that you aren't sure how well it will work. If you have them laying around just do a little test plant first before investing a bunch of money for something that flops. And that's a pretty large investment for just one chunk of the spectrum, what if you are missing a bunch and can see it in the plants? That's a lot more cash and guesswork.

I say go for it with what you have and see what you end up with.

7. my diodes for 445nm come from jvc front projectors - my other ones I have gotten over the past year because I want to mess with lasers, because lets face it lasers are effing cool!

I will set up something with 1 small plant in a 2x2x4 area and see what happens, I will use the 405, 445, 532, 635, 650nm diodes and shine them through the lens from the jvc projector and focus it into a small 2x2 area and see what happens

it will take me time to do this since I work 60+ hours a week as it is and any free time really goes to taking care of my plants, but I plan on doing something like this soon

and the cost of the doides would be a few hundred for sure but think about how people will react when you tell them you grew this stuff with "lasers" who else could say that?

8. Well when you do get something keep us updated! I am a huge fan of lasers and got my first blue diode from a PS3 bluray that went bad, except I burnt it up running too much juice to it :( I've been meaning to get some more laser equipment soon. I've hardly had any spending cash that isn't going into bills or car parts.

Did you build your own driver? I did and I don't think it was too hard. Then I put the whole thing inside of a little flashlight.

9. built my own driver and also bought one

laserpointerforums.com is a great place to look for info

I have the same username over there