Growing this summer

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Joe_Stoner, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Alright me and my cousin are thinking about growing this summer, just saving like 20 seeds or something. We can't grow indoors because we live in an apartment but we live by this creek nobody goes near and we were thinking if we can find a nice secluded place in the middle of the wooden area if we throw a few seeds in the dirt near the water if they would grow, we aren't expecting dank:p mids would even be fine, we just want to experiment and see if we can get anything smokable and get some experience with how to treat it, we would be checking on them every other day. I was just wondering if anybody would think it would work to even grow just some mids or something. Thanks for your input blaze on:smoking:

2. Could be a cool journal.

3. If you don't prepare the land - free it of unwanted rocks/roots/bugs/etc - it is likely the plants won't survive very well. If it's near a river the soil might get flooded and drown the plants. Animals could eat your crop as well, if you don't make the area animal proof.

Pulling off an outdoor grow takes a lot of work and patience - a completely different world than indoor growing, which on it's own can be a hassle. There are just different security/environmental factors to take into account here.

Would the plot get enough light, or do the trees shadow it? Is it secluded enough for someone to miss it if they happen to walk by, maybe 20ft away?

Is the spot 100% secure? If you're going to the plot every other day, you must make sure no one can watch you - it's suspicious for one to go out to the same spot in the woods every other day, ya know. If it's your own land it might be a bit safer, but if it isn't yours then your risk of getting caught probably doubles.

Check out some of the outdoor journals here and you'll gather some great information on pulling this off...I once conducted an experiment similar to this and got nothing from it...then again, I didn't clear the land or do any kind of preparation...

4. Yea we will find a place with enough light and also free the area of unwanted items and maybe put something around it like a cardboard box or something that could keep smaller animals away from it until it gets bigger and as for security it shouldn't be a problem we can get down there easily without people watching us and we will maybe make a little protective barrier when it gets bigger to keep animals out and it's not near a river so flooding shouldn't be a problem, unless we get some massive rain, which does happen sometimes but other then that we should be able to pull this off I can make a journal also and I will also check out the outdoor section for more information. Thanks for your input everyone.

5. Just got a great idea, will have to run it over with my cousin but... I was looking through the forums and got a idea from some pictures, those big blue trashcans we can buy one and cut some holes in it for some lights and maybe a smaller fan and actually make it a halfway indoor grow but grow it outside and keep it hidden from other people we will have to find a place to do it but it sounds like a solid idea, any suggestions with that, thanks in advance.

6. #6 dragonsfire1988, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010

Not bad. Just depends on where you put it...I mean, what if someone is walkin' through the woods and wants to throw something away? That would be a nifty little surprise.

Maybe put a lock on it or something.

It would definitely eliminate the threat of animals, but when it comes to people it doesn't do much to conceal what you're doing...Yeah, it's a trash can instead of a plant, but a bright trash can sitcks out more than an MJ plant in a field, ya know. I've seen the grows you're talking about, and it is a decent idea, I personally just don't get it...

Honestly, if you aren't dead-set on an OD grow, you can still have a small, personal grow-op in an apartment and make it much safer than risking your hides outdoors. I guess it depends on how "cool" the community is and how active your apt. is, but it's probably safer than you realize. PM me for more detailed discussion if you want, I just thought I'd throw it out there...

Also, when it comes to OD, you might as well just put the plant in the sun...the sun is better for the plant than a box outside...not only will the box be heated by the lights AND the sun (you'd need more ventilation to make up for the extra heat), but you'd be losing the benefits of the sun's natural rays, which you could be taking advantage of anyway.

7. We wouldn't be putting the trashcan in the forest but maybe near some garages that my family owns and find a plug in around there and good idea with that lock I talked with my cousin and he thinks it would be a good idea also and for growing indoors it's pretty much ruled out my apartment is doing renovations and I honestly have no idea when they are going to be done and sometimes they will have to come in the house and look around to make sure nothing is wrong and that would suck to get thrown out for that when I can do this :p.
    I also just got an idea of maybe just still using one of the trashcans but maybe spray painting it black and not using a lamp just the sun that way the sun would be more attracted to it and heat it more and then at night just lock it up, we would have eyes on it at all times and we could put some holes on the top of the lid so we can air it out and also get some more sun if we aren't going to be around for a few days, I will definitely have to make a journal for this, I can just visualize it right now I'm having good thoughts about this :hello:

8. #8 dragonsfire1988, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010

Ah, renovations...yeah, that sucks.

Even if you keep the lid off, the sun rotates and would not hit the plant at all times...So it might be lit up for a few hours in the day, otherwise it's in shade...maybe lights would be a better route?

You could get some of the tube flourescents and run a couple (probably 6-8, depending on the size of the can) up-n-down around the can...360degrees of light for the plant, and the flourescents aren't too expensive to run. Some varieties aren't warm to the touch so if the leaves touch the lights, it wouldn't hurt...you may have to do some more research on that though.

I thought you were talking about a can in the forest...As long as there is no risk of anyone trying to throw something away in the can, or smelling the buds while around the garages (I assume if there are other trash cans around stench would not be an issue) it would be a fine idea.

9. Yea fluorescents do sound good and if I can find an outlet then it would be even better and yea thats true about the sun, didn't think about that :p and yea it would pretty much be on private property where nobody really goes and we aren't far away from it either maybe a 2 min walk so thats a plus and I believe there is some more of those trashcans by the garages so it would look pretty normal and I still might put some holes in the top to air it out.

Maybe we will try the sun thing first and if that doesn't work we can get some lighting to mount on the inside so that it will be nice and bright for it, do you think if it got like 6 - 10 hours of sun a day it would be enough for it?

10. Well, any more than 12hrs of dark will trigger flowering...but indirect sunlight would not really contribute to that...I guess it would depend on how "dark" it is.

If the light schedule is really confusing for the plant, you risk confusing the genetics and creating a male(if it's a female) or hermy plant. Anyways, the more sun the plant gets the healthier/bigger it will be...so do whatever you can do with the resources you have.

11. Hmm, maybe I will do both sun and light, I can do sun in the daytime and near dark I can turn on the lights and keep it on schedule so it doesn't confuse it somehow and make me cry:( lol but yea I think that sounds like a good idea and maybe even make them nice and big still and maybe get an ounce of a plant which would be worth the money spending, especially if it turns out to be some beasters or dank :D

12. Any seed can become dank if it's well taken care of ;)

13. Yea:D Bagseed is the best because it's free lol, I think I might try and do that trashcan thing and clear out a nice place in the wooden area near the creek for some plants also to maybe get some more.