growing shrooms

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by myles117, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Hey everyone. I am very interested in growing shrooms, but I am skeptical of many of the kits out there on the web. I live in the U.S. and have no problem ordering a kit online as long as it is legit. I figured my fellow blades would know way more about growing shrooms and a good kit from crap then I. I would need spores too, preferably from the same site as the kit to simplify my life a little. I have heard that there are multiple types of psychedelic mushrooms. I don't really care what species of shrooms as long as they are good for their obvious application. :eek: I was thinking of spending 100-200 on this investment. Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate the help.

2. There used to be a grow kit and spores you could order online at GrassCity, but they dissappeared.....

3. there is so much info on there but i have no clue what 90% means. I don't want to know that much, I just wanna know what kit you would recommend and what spores to use. My head hurts just from reading that shit. lol

4. that would have been awesome. Thats all I really want. I just don't want to end up with a piece of shit "kit" that will have me pulling out my hair in frustration haha

5. Dude if you lived near me I could take you out to a cow pasture in the morning and there are thousands of them growing out of dung and around it. You could get a half pound easy. The only problem is I've never had any shrooms nor do I know which ones are the "good ones." That shroomery site makes you think that if you pick one wrong one you're dead in hours.

Its been raining around here everyday for the last couple days so they'll be out like hell tomorrow.
    Some mornings I go fishing in the pond out there and I sometimes walk around looking at them wondering if they are the right ones. I've never done shrooms but I'm would consider it if I knew which ones to pick.

6. Dont buy a kit, learn how to grow in a monotub. You can go to lowes and spend $20 and grow mushrooms just as good as you could with a $200 grow kit. I always buy spores from thehawkseye but there is plenty of other good places to buy spores from.
    http://www.shroomery.org/4/Grow-Mushrooms

7. Dude no kit, this is all you need to grow shrooms:

http://www.shroomery.org/4/Grow-Mushrooms

http://www.ralphstersspores.com/

May i suggest starting with the PF TEK, and as for spores Golden teachers, or Ecuadorians, brazilians, or Cambodians, as these are all proven to grow well in the brown rice formula that the PF TEK uses.

Ive tried kits and yes they produce but they are not needed, and if you buy one you will see that.

8. I was looking last week they had it but now they took it off... sadface!

9. SETUP

Get an aquarium, aquarium air pump, air pump hose, perlite, vermiculite, Brown Rice Flour, syringe full of spores, 1/2 pint mason jars(straight edge), distilled water .

Setting up the aquarium

Layer the bottom of the aquarium with 1 inch of perlite. Pour enough distilled water down the sides into the aquarium until the perlite is almost swimming. Pour in a dry layer of perlite on top of the swimming perlite so the dry perlite becomes just moist. Have one end of air pump hose running into the bottom of the aquarium under the perlite and water. A bubbling sound will indicate this is done correctly, but you should not see perlite bubbling. The aquarium should be run with the pump on for 24 hours before setting any BRF cakes into it, just to make the humidity right. The humidity will be right when droplets of water accumulate on the sides of the aquarium.

NEXT

make brown rice flour cakes(youtube) and inject spores into them. be sterile as possible. Let them sit in complete darkness until white mycelium overtakes them. Once they are completely covered let them sit 1-2 more days. Then take them out of the jars and submerge them in distilled water for 12 hours. Take the submerged BRF cakes and roll them in vermiculite. Set the cakes in the aquarium with the blue light on 12/12 off. Fan fresh air into the aquarium 3 times a day.

Optional
    is spraying distilled water against the inside walls to create humidity right after you fan fresh air in.

[​IMG]

HARVESTING and DRYING
    I try to pull the mushrooms off before the veil pops and it looks like an actual mushroom. Once you have the mushrooms off the BRF cake air dry them with a fan for 1 day. Take the air dried mushrooms and set them in an air tight container with desiccant on the bottom, something separating the mushrooms from the desiccant for 1 day.

These are the product after the process is done.
    [​IMG]puerto rican
    [​IMG]THAI
    [​IMG]Mazatepec
    Then trip and smoke some nugget to send you to outer space!:smoking:

10. how much do you yield? could you do this to make a batch of a couple pounds?

11. hahaha yeah I go to an aggricultural high school and we have cows. There are all kinds of shrooms growin off that shit but i've always heard not to fuck with shrooms if you aren't 100% positive they are the right ones. There are shrooms that might look just like the good ones and you drop dead a couple hrs later. It drives me crazy cuz I might be passing up a shitload of free trippin but it just ain't werth the risk.

12. Thanks for the good info man. I have a few questions 1. should i rinse the perlite first to eliminate the dusty ground up perlite? 2. Does the water in with the perlite need to be changed during the grow at all 3. If not, will I have to add water periodically to maintain the same amount of water at the bottom? 4. Since I started reading about shrooms the word sterilizes come up ALOT. You mentioned keeping things sterile, whats the best way to do that? 5. I can't open the tank three times a day to fan them, thats just too much time to be spending on them daily. I've seen air exchangers/humidifiers for growing shrooms on the web for 50 bucks. Will one of those be sufficient to eliminate the fanning? 6. once the cakes are covered by the mycelium do I still need to worry about keeping everything sterile? Covering the cake with vermiculite and still keeping everything sterile seems like it would be near impossible.

Alright, Im done asking questions for now. :) thanks for all the info man.

13. All together I've received 70 dry grams, which is 700 grams wet. :hello: I love it.:smoke:

14. 1. I do not rinse the perlite, but you can. It won't hurt.

2. If the distilled water is not changed it will start to smell like sweat. I only change the water every grow.

3. Yes, water will need to be slowly added little by little every day to keep the water level even.

4. Wash your hands and up your arms with antibacterial soap before you touch anything dealing with mushrooms. Hair builds up tons of bacteria when not washed daily. Make sure the clothes you have on aren't sweaty or dirty. Good hygiene, take a shower/wash hair everyday really. When injecting the spores into the cakes, use a lighter and heat the tips of the needle on the syringe RED HOT, then take a napkin with rubbing alcohol on it and wipe it to sterilize it. Do that every time you inject a jar. Wearing rubber doctor gloves will increase sterility too.

I have never used any form or procedure other than opening the aquarium to increase fresh air exchange.

6. Once the cake is fully colonized with mycelium it is very hard for contaminants to take over. I'm not very sterile after the cakes completely colonize and I haven't had any problems, so I wouldn't worry about it.

No problem, I'd love to answer all the questions I can.:smoke:

15. Thanks for the answers man. Alright, here are some more :). What is this "blue light" that you speak of? Is it just a 5600 k spectrum bulb or is it a special light? The aquarium kits I was looking at didn't come with any light at all. Also, How far does a vial of spores get you? How many cakes can be injected per vial? Is distilled water absolutely necessary? Could I use spring water or should I stick with distilled?

I also have a couple questions about the harvesting and drying. How do you know when the fruit is ripe and ready to be picked? How long have you found it takes from injecting spores to harvest? How many dry grams of fruit should each cake produce for me if I do everything right?

well thats all I can think of now but I'm sure more questions will arise :rolleyes:

16. The blue light is just a blue light bulb. Walmart carries them in stock most of the time. I use a desk lamp with a blue bulb and sit it above my aquarium. I've never heard of a vial of spores, a syringe?
    Poke 4 holes in the top of the jars. Use 1cc of spore syringe per hole. Use distilled or purified water, it will lower contaminants in the aquarium. Mushrooms can get contaminated when growing on the cakes, even though the cakes should be fine. Spring water is fine, as long as it is distilled or purified.

I harvest mushrooms right after the veil pops and reveals the gills on the underside of the cap. From injection to harvesting can range from 2-4 weeks. Each cake should produce around 20-30 grams wet= A good trip.

I'm ready for more questions! Keep 'em coming!