Growing Sativa Strains?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Slasher_101, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Hi there, I just decided I'd want to grow sativa plants more than indica
    (I'll have both; indica because if the yield and sativa because I prefer its effects)
    So thanks if you can answer any of these questions:

Is it true that sativa plants grow best outdoors?
    (this environment is usually very hot and dry, are those conditions fine for these plants?)

What are some good sativa strains that I should try growing?
    I hear Durban Poison is mostly pure sativa, is it worth trying to grow?
    (I should be able to get seeds easily)

And is it true about the long growing/flowering period and lower yield?

thanks for any help :D

2. yup they will grow well dont worry

3. Sativas are more challenging for indoors but can be done. They are bigger/taller, so artificial light penetration becomes even more of an issue if your lighting is all from above. You can get a strain that is 75-85% sativa and still get a good sativa high but also will take well to LST. Since they are bigger, you'll need to be sure to give them plenty of root volume (don't try a sativa in a 10 inch pot).

And yes, sativas typically take 10-14 weeks flower time. The plants are lankier but if allowed to grow out should yield more than an indica.

4. #5 vdopower, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009
    So i take that what your saying is indicas are much more suitable for training techniques?
    Do you think nevilles haze would take well to lst? it is said to be mostly sativa with a quarter of northern lights. I am going to be attempting to grow one of these bad boys. I am also going to grow a white widow and a northen light X skunk. the n.lXskunk is 100% indica so i will be curious to see the difference between the two extremes.

i am kind of scared because i keep hearing that nev. haze will just plop over and die for no reason. any words of advice for taking this on this strain? i am growing organic ffof/happy frog with a 250 watt hps and some cfls.

i understand that the haze variety is not for an inexperienced grower like me. (only 1 local bag seed grow, but very satisfying) but hey it was my first try so i think i might be able to this it off. maybe

5. FWIW, past and currently I've grown sativa-dominant strains indoors with LST very successfully -- right now I have some Neville's Haze crossed with Northern Lights and some Arjan's Haze crossed with Cali Mist (the latter essentially pure sativa), both doing well indoors.

6. should i try to prune/top them in addition to lst?

7. i was wondering the same thing, is it a good idea to attempt to grow it on your first grow or no?