Growing on the windowsill.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ExplodingBoot, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Hey, this would be my first time growing pot. The only reason I am growing it is for two reasons. 1. Its productive(I guess). 2. I need a break from smoking, so my friend gave me 10 AK47 seeds, so I vouged not to smoke until I can harvest the bud to do so myself.

Like I said, this would be the first time growing for me, and due to recently moving out of my parents house, I'm a little short for cash, so I don't really wanna buy bulbs, fans, etc., and I can't grow it outside because I live in an apartment with no back or front yard.

I live in Los Angelas, CA, so that should give an idea of the weather. Hot all year round. So back to my question, would I be able to let the plant grow on my windowsill? Or a hanging/suspended planter outside my window? Also, if its not too much to ask, what would I need to do?

Thanks in advance~

2. Good luck.

3. #3 Jed Sanders 420, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
    Simple Answer: No

Hard Answer: Listen to someone else who will most likely disagree with me and begin the dreaded B & F

4. I was hoping for a rasoning behind the answer "No", not to strike a harsh tone. The only reason it caught my attention is because I've seen one person in real life sort of do it, and a few youtubers.

And a simple "Good luck" literally gave me no useful information whatsoever. Waste of time for both of us in my opinion

5. It won't work. MJ needs lots of direct, strong sunlight. Doesn't matter if your temps are warm all year long, the sun currently is weakening every day as the northern hemisphere is tilting away from the sun (and will continue to do so until the winter solstice Dec 21). So now is the wrong time of year to be starting a grow that relies on the sun.

Beyond that, MJ needs at least 16 hours of daylight per day in order to veg (growth stage), otherwise it will go into flowering (and if that happens on a baby plant it won't grow up to be much). Sitting on a window sill, even if facing south, the plant will only get at most about 12 hours per day.

In addition, window glass is treated to block UV rays that can fade upholstery and drapes, but those also are rays that MJ needs.

The result of waning sunlight strength, too few hours, and filtered UV will be an unhealthy plant that stretches for light, leading to skimpy growth.

Lastly, growing in an apartment is risky, and putting an illegal plant on the window sill so that it can get the light coming in also leaves it exposed to being seen from the outside, too risky.

Doesn't sound like you are in a good situation to grow right now.

6. [quote name='"toastybiz"']It won't work. MJ needs lots of direct, strong sunlight. Doesn't matter if your temps are warm all year long, the sun currently is weakening every day as the northern hemisphere is tilting away from the sun (and will continue to do so until the winter solstice Dec 21). So now is the wrong time of year to be starting a grow that relies on the sun.

Beyond that, MJ needs at least 16 hours of daylight per day in order to veg (growth stage), otherwise it will go into flowering (and if that happens on a baby plant it won't grow up to be much). Sitting on a window sill, even if facing south, the plant will only get at most about 12 hours per day.

In addition, window glass is treated to block UV rays that can fade upholstery and drapes, but those also are rays that MJ needs.

The result of waning sunlight strength, too few hours, and filtered UV will be an unhealthy plant that stretches for light, leading to skimpy growth.

Lastly, growing in an apartment is risky, and putting an illegal plant on the window sill so that it can get the light coming in also leaves it exposed to being seen from the outside, too risky.

Doesn't sound like you are in a good situation to grow right now.[/quote]

Exactly! Nicely put Toasty!

7. #7 Deleted member 194034, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
    yeah It will not work, but u shouldnt waist those seeds. get your self a large cabinet/box ect outa someones trash or from anywhere u can get one for free or cheap at least 5 ft tall and 3ft x 3ft. get all the flourescents you can find and hang them above the plants. get an old computer fan and make a simple cheap vent system. it shouldnt cost that much and it might give you some dank bud if done right. Google and the indoor growing gc forum will be your friend. good luck man

8. As for the getting in trouble part, I already have considered that so I hope not to hear that from any more replies.

Thank you for the detailed answer, though I may have left a few things out that may act as a solution for some problems, and maybe an idea id like to try otherwise if all else fails.

As for the window blocking the UV rays, that's why I suggested maybe a sort of planter that hangs outside the window, though I don't know how much that'd help. If that's not an option, then I guess I could go and buy the quipment needed to grow indoors. Its not that I don't have the money, I just don't want to use it all right now, though id be willing to.

In that case, what would be the cheapest set up for maybe just 1 or 2 small plants?

9. [quote name='"skuitarman"']yeah I will not work. but u shouldnt waist those seeds. get your self a large cabinet/box ect outa someones trash or from or anywhere u can get one for cheap at least 5 ft tall and 3ft x 3ft. get all the flourescents you can find and hang them above the plants. get an old computer fan and make a simple cheap vent system. it shouldnt cost that much and it might give you some dank bud if done right. Google and the indoor growing gc forum will be your friend. good luck man[/quote]

That actually helped a lot, thanks man. But one last question. I have a ton of compy fans, but I never really saw the point of a ventalation system. Can someone clarify?

10. Cheap setup = poor results. I know it isn't what you want to hear, but if you want to grow then you really should invest to do it right, you will pay yourself back with free high-quality weed.

Or, to put it another way, 99% of growers who try to start out cheap end up upgrading, which means that they spent more that way because they bought everything twice. Better to suck it up and buy what you need from the get-go, it actually will save you money and you'll be much happier with the results.

As for not wanting to hear about the risks because you've "considered" them (as you contemplate hanging a plant outside an apartment in broad daylight), I don't know what to tell you except that I hope you end up with a very pleasant cell mate who won't want to sodomize you. Seriously, unless you have very unique circumstances that you haven't told us about, growing outside an apartment is an exceedingly bad idea.

11. [quote name='"toastybiz"']Cheap setup = poor results. I know it isn't what you want to hear, but if you want to grow then you really should invest to do it right, you will pay yourself back with free high-quality weed.

Or, to put it another way, 99% of growers who try to start out cheap end up upgrading, which means that they spent more that way because they bought everything twice. Better to suck it up and buy what you need from the get-go, it actually will save you money and you'll be much happier with the results.

As for not wanting to hear about the risks because you've "considered" them (as you contemplate hanging a plant outside an apartment in broad daylight), I don't know what to tell you except that I hope you end up with a very pleasant cell mate who won't want to sodomize you. Seriously, unless you have very unique circumstances that you haven't told us about, growing outside an apartment is an exceedingly bad idea.[/quote]

What exactly crawled up your ass? What I'm saying by I've considered it is that...how do I put this. I live in the shit part of town, and my apartment building already reaks of many things, weed included. I live on the top story where everyone below me is doing SOMETHING wrong, rather that's shooting up on the stairwell or fighting in the floor below, yet for the time that my friend (person who sorta got me to move here) there has never been any intervention by any sort of authority figure. You'd have to have some pretty good vision to specifically tell weed was growing out my window.

To be honest, I was hoping someone like you wouldn't come in this thread, but beggars can't be choosers. I was hoping this thread wouldn't have someone like you come in and flaunt their damn bad attitude by posting something to offend the poster. Besides, this is my first time growing, give me a break. Yeah, I don't know all the specs about how the plant grows on a daily basis, but that's why I'm here in the "Absolute beginners" section.

Though thanks for the advice about starting good rather than upgrading, rather the attitude of your advice was rude or not.

12. [quote name='"ExplodingBoot"']

That actually helped a lot, thanks man. But one last question. I have a ton of compy fans, but I never really saw the point of a ventalation system. Can someone clarify?[/quote]

A ventilation system is VERY important to an indoor grow. The more fresh air, the better your growth should be. Fresh air also plays a part in how well a plant handles high temps. A plant in a room with no airflow can start wilting at 80 degrees, while a plant outdoors can handle temps well over 100 degrees...all because Of the Co2. The more fresh air the better in every way.

13. [quote name='"mjmama25"']

A ventilation system is VERY important to an indoor grow. The more fresh air, the better your growth should be. Fresh air also plays a part in how well a plant handles high temps. A plant in a room with no airflow can start wilting at 80 degrees, while a plant outdoors can handle temps well over 100 degrees...all because Of the Co2. The more fresh air the better in every way.[/quote]

That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks a lot, ill keep that in mind whilst putting the whole thing together.

14. A light, a tent, and a couple of fans from Amazon. Then get at LEAST a pH meter and pH up/down. This is what will get you enough to get started. Of course you'll need plants and nutrients if you want to keep them healthy.

15. #15 Budz23, Jul 29, 2012
    [quote name='"ExplodingBoot"']

What exactly crawled up your ass? What I'm saying by I've considered it is that...how do I put this. I live in the shit part of town, and my apartment building already reaks of many things, weed included. I live on the top story where everyone below me is doing SOMETHING wrong, rather that's shooting up on the stairwell or fighting in the floor below, yet for the time that my friend (person who sorta got me to move here) there has never been any intervention by any sort of authority figure. You'd have to have some pretty good vision to specifically tell weed was growing out my window.

To be honest, I was hoping someone like you wouldn't come in this thread, but beggars can't be choosers. I was hoping this thread wouldn't have someone like you come in and flaunt their damn bad attitude by posting something to offend the poster. Besides, this is my first time growing, give me a break. Yeah, I don't know all the specs about how the plant grows on a daily basis, but that's why I'm here in the "Absolute beginners" section.

Though thanks for the advice about starting good rather than upgrading, rather the attitude of your advice was rude or not.[/quote]

Obviously what your looking for is someone to agree with you and tell you, " yeah man, put those plants by your window and you'll be fine". Well, your not gonna get that here. Your gonna get the truth from some good people, toasty bein one of them. You'll feel pretty dumb sittin in jail for weed plants outside your window while the crack head shootin up downstairs is still in the stairwell. Chillax bro, smoke a bowl, and let's figure out how to get you growing something. You got a spare room to use?

16. #16 ExplodingBoot, Jul 29, 2012
    [quote name='"Jbudz23"']

Obviously what your looking for is someone to agree with you and tell you, " yeah man, put those plants by your window and you'll be fine". Well, your not gonna get that here. Your gonna get the truth from some good people, toasty bein one of them. You'll feel pretty dumb sittin in jail for weed plants outside your window while the crack head shootin up downstairs is still in the stairwell. Chillax bro, smoke a bowl, and let's figure out how to get you growing something. You got a spare room to use?[/quote]

Actually, that's not what I'm hoping for. Well, it WAS what I was hoping for when I started the thread, but I got the picture after the first 2 "No"s and the detailed explanation of why I couldn't in an earlier post. This is why I requested instructions on other useful tips to grow shortly after, if you didn't read those posts. (Which is why I'm going to assume you came to your conclusion.) The reason I responded as I did is the manner in which he approached an issue I already requested to be put aside is all, not once was I reaching for a "Yes" from him. In fact, as I stated at the end of my last comment, I even accepted what useful information he did give me. What I was trying to get across was that if I go to jail, I go to jail, not you, I got it, my fault, so please, with all due respect, butt out of that subject. (Not directed personally towards you, just clarifying my earlier statement that started this.)

As for room, I have an empty closet space. Other than that, my rooms (1 bed, 1 bath, hallway, living room, small kitchen) aren't really "spacious", at the moment they aren't at least.

And thanks dawill, though I like your suggestion, I think I'm going to stick with something more...cubed? Room/small space sorta thing. Though ill keep that in mind if need be.

17. What's the size of your closet? If you train the plants well you could keep something about 3' tall and still pull a few ounces.

18. [quote name='"Jbudz23"']What's the size of your closet? If you train the plants well you could keep something about 3' tall and still pull a few ounces.[/quote]

Well, my closet is devided in 2 by a horizontal piece of wood, the bottom section being bigger that the top, though I might want to keep the bottom area empty. I'd say the top section is easily 4.5'x4.5'.

From what I've read, it seems like it might be beneficial to do low stress training to slow upward growth while still letting the plant get stronger, but I wouldn't feel confident doing that as a first time thing.

19. The desire to help. :wave:

I gave you lots of advice, and good advice at that. I won't that mistake again. :cool:

20. Now you're cooking with fire! LST is pretty simple stuff and plants grow slowly relative to human reaction time, meaning it wont overwhelm you. Lots of people have success first time with LST

Plant 4 and try it. I promise you will get one trained and worst that happens is you kill them all. If you are real worried about wasting the beans, then grow one in there till its 10 inches or so and you can take clones, take 4, and return to step one.

4.5' x 4.5 x what? is it, or could it be made, over 3 feet tall?