Growing On The Cheap: The Bagseed Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by varun009, May 1, 2014.

1. So, like the title says, this thread is about growing bagseed. I just finished re-potting potting some Northern lights and hindu kush and I had some soil left over and some seeds I got from a pack of brickweed. Now, this pack of brick was some of the best low/mid weed I've ever had which led me to belive that the genetics were within the acceptable range. Also, I'd like to mention that there were only 3 seeds in the entire bag (about 1oz) which reflects a degree of professionalism on the grower's part; this seems to indicate that he'd separated the male and female plants before flowering. However, this could indicate a hermaphroditic inclination. Nonetheless, I germinated a seed and planted it in half of a coke bottle (i'll re-pot it and post a picture in another post), and it's been growing for 2 weeks now. The soil that it's in isn't the best and is mostly clay. I ran out of pearlite and rice hulls so there's nothing to aerate the soil making it dense and explaining the relatively slow growth. However, I don't intend to use anything that would require me to go to a "proper" grow store to get since this thread is intended for people who may not have access to one but would like to have a go at growing some weed for themselves. Furthermore, I'm going to employ several techniques such as super-cropping and topping to get the maximum yield and potency that I can from this plant for the same reason that I'm not using any artificial nutes or any sophisticated grow equipment - this is meant for the average toker. Hopefully it turns out to be female and gets me some decent yield. Wish me luck!
    IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    sorry for the image quality, I only had my ipod on me at the time and I absolutely detest smartphones. As you can see, it's a nice lime green color and already has a pretty decent crown. Right now, I'm going to assume that the light green color is due to a lack of pigment as a result of a nutrient deficiency. if you look at the first image, you'll notice that the leaves are curling under which I have attributed to water damage as a result of the highly water retentive properties of the soil it is currently in compounded with and exacerbated by the impermeability of the coke bottle.

2. Looks nice. Ive been thinking about growing a bag seed but the only thing thats stopping me is the possibility of it growing to big and smelling.

3. If you're getting mexican brick, jamaican or swazi, that won't be a problem. They do grow tall but there are techniques like topping and stress training that overcome that. The smell isn't something I would worry about either, they're not too pungent.

4. So I re-potted the plants as you can see in the pictures. Since it was in a coke bottle, I had to take a hot iron and use that to cut through the bottle so I could take the whole piece out. When I did, it came out in one block without any soil breaking off, confirming my suspicion that the soil was much too compact. Anyway, there were at least a dozen roots popping out. Enough to expect this plant to grow rapidly within the next 3-4 weeks. The pot is a small half gallon as I don't expect to veg this plant to over a height of 20-25 inches. The soil mix is composed of that clay rich soil that I had lying around, with about 2 hands full of manure (didn't actually use my hands) and a hand full each of dried, crushed leaves and saw dust. The point of the crushed leaves and wood shavings is to make spaces between the clumps of soil that are bound to form. They increase drainage where they are but the soil retains water which is a good mix. Essentially, this lets me get oxygen to my roots in the free spaces which also allows them to grow quickly, but the retained water will keep up their water supply in the hot summer sun (it goes up to 45 degrees C in my part of the world). You'll notice a layer of saw dust and crushed leaves on the top. This layer is to prevent too much water loss from the soil during the day and also keeps the roots cool. If your roots get too hot, they cook inside the pot and your plant dies. This works great if you're in school or have work that keeps you out of the house.

From left to right the plants are: AK-47, northern lights (clone) and the bag weed. I placed it next to these two just for perspective. The AK is about 7 inches tall while the NL is 18 inches tall. You'll notice that the bagseed plant is significantly paler than the other two which I think was due to undernourishment. I added just a bit of 1:1:1 npk solution to my growth medium which is something you DON'T have to do. I only did that to get things started quicker. I'm gonna post weekly updates so keep checking in.
    View attachment 138487
    View attachment 138488

View attachment 138483
    View attachment 138482
    View attachment 138485
    View attachment 138486

5. My parents set aside a little space on our back balcony to let me grow so it isn't the best for an outdoor grow but it lets me maximize my yield with the land races.

6. lol not too pungent compared to what? weed smells. Mexican can be as skunky as it comes.:blink::rolleyes:

Twas Ever Thus!

7. Not if you've ever had confidential cheese. One of those can make your entire neighborhood smell like a dutch cafe.

8. I had to terminate this grow because of one pesky neighbor who is getting watergunned tomorrow.