growing in my back yard, worms and roots a problem?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by CheebCheeb, Dec 15, 2008.

1. So I live in a 5 acre patch of land. All woods, but I've been clearing some secret paths. I found a good spot and cleared some palm trees to allow light to get to the ground. I started digging through the soil with one of the those rakes with metal claws and I noticed two things. Lots of roots of course, and LOTS of worms. The soil out here is nice and moist, I tried searching, it seems that worms are good for the soil? Can someone explain why? And I know lots of roots are bad for your plant because they get tangled with your roots but can it still grow fine? I will try to pull out as much of them as I can, there just small clumps of roots, but every time I pull one out more come. Any info would help. Oh and im not really looking to start in a pot, last time I tried transplanting I killed my plant, id rather start from the ground.

2. Worms are good for your plants because they aerate the roots as well as leave droppings=fertilizer. However as you stated, roots are bad largely because they are competition for your desired plant. These "rogue" roots will rob your plants of water and nutrients. Keep reading, and you will do fine.

3. Your on the right path, but i'd search for a slightly clearer spot without the roots. If not, you could try burying a large pot.

4. Ok cool, thanks for the info, I may just have to pull out the ole shovel dig a ditch to get the roots out and fill it back up with soil. Oh and like I said the soil is real nice and moist, I live pretty much in a marsh land, so Im probably rarely going to have to water them correct? I think I've heard something about if you stick your finger in about 2 inches deep in the soil and its still moist you dont need to water it?

Oh and if the roots are dead, like there in the soil but not actually rooted to a living plant will that affect anything?

5. A big part of growing this type of plant is letting it strain, as in letting it sit without water for a short period of time so it can maximize all of the nutrients it has absorbed. A moist ground is good otherwise though. If you have any high ground near that marsh, that might be ideal because the soil will not be completey moist all of the time, yet it will be in a great location.

Also, since my spot is also near palm trees:D, make sure you get that early morning sunlight though the palm trees. They like to hog up the sun with there branches if bunched together.

As far as the dead roots, I'm not sure but I dont imagaine they'd be sucking up any nutrients, just getting in the way of your root system.

6. you gotta dig them up those palms are very hard to kill...even if you light it on fire they com back.... get a few cold ones and som bud n get to with the pick-axe.....

IMO you better furtolize good all around there so the surrounding palms turn a geener so you plants cant be spotted from the air.... because big dark green plants will stick out ina yellow/green palm patch:wave:

7. #7 Corto Malteze, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
    Worms are excellent for your soil. They aerate, give ferts and hold in water. Too many roots is no good. Yes, use a pick ax and cut out your hole (hatchet for roots). Add some manure in there around this period (worms will come back and feed on it).

I read you made paths. That's breaking one of the most imortant rules: stealth. So be careful with that.

As Livinsublime wrote, make sure your plants don't have their feet wet at all times as that will make them rot and die. Try to use a little higher ground if possible. Most growers actually water their plants (=the main work). A few lucky ones find spots where watering isn't needed but that's a hard balance to find. Mj likes to have dry roots (O2 circulates) before water is added again.

Adding ferts like Thisisfunforme said around your spot is a great idea as the plants will be nice and green around but they should be ok without that. I insist: NO TRACKS. That's the most important point here: disclosure.;)