Growing in an attic?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Socks, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Hi I'm new here and have been heavily researching but haven't been able to find any info.

I have a very big attic that would suit very well(space wise) for my grow, but I was wondering how well it would be to grow up there because of the air quality? and I think the temp will probly be drop alot up there. Any input on this would be appreciated.

2. usually the biggest pain about attics is they trap so damn much heat in them. if you can overcome that, it should be a good environment with plenty of room for ya. have a couple fans constantly recirculating air and it would be good if you could pump some fresh air in there from below or outside.

3. Thanks for the help. I think I am going to run some kind of ducting that will pull in some fresh air. I'm also hoping when December comes it stays warm up there.

4. If it were to get too cold up there. Could I just put a heater up there while the lights are off?

5. what kind of lighting do you plan on using. if youre using HID in the winter you can recirculate the exhaust heat from the reflectors if youre worried about it getting too cold up there.

6. 8 27w 6500k CFL's. What if i took a small heating fan and put a duct tube from the fan into the grow box?

7. I am also in a similar problem, my plant is roughly 6x6 in a large pot, it doesn't show any signs of stretching but im worried about the winter, I may not have enough light or heat as it gets very cold in my attic during the winter and its a dark room.
    Sorry for the possible thread hijack but, any help?

8. Attics are tough to grow in.......if the attic is well insulated and has good ventilation, a grow in the winter is possible, but summer grows can be problematic.

With cfls, there won't be a lot of heat generated from the lighting, so you'd have to have a heater. You also need to circulate fresh air into the attic, you'd need to bring it in from a different part of the house so you don't chill your space with outside air.

There are a lot of variables to deal with, and it can be done.......it would help if you post some pics of what your attic looks like so we can better visualize what you have to work with.

One of the other considerations is access........it's a bitch packing water up a ladder through a little access panel.......hopefully your access is via a stairway:D

9. I can get some pictures later, but to be a little more specific it is easily acessible the stairs pull down from the ceiling. Ive been up there the past few days, and the air seems to be pretty fresh. There a some small vents letting in some outside air. One problem is that it is not insulated. Which is why i was thinking of having a very small heater fan that had a duct to the grow box blowing in heat. And monitor the heat coming in.

10. Shitty cell phone pic but there it is. I will be cleaning first haha.

Attached Files:

11. Fuck dude....that thing is huge!.........you could frame in an insulated grow room up there, or at least set up a grow tent. There's a lot of possibilities for that space. What kind of a budget do you have?

12. Thats only one side haha the side opposite of the camera is even bigger. I know i could fit a lot but im just starting with three plants. My budget is pretty small seeing how im in college with no job and i dont have the money for a tent. I'm going to be building a 5'x4'x5' box. How would you go about making it an insulated box?

13. Make a rectangular grow area using wooden battons and as walls tack hardboard to it.
    These materials are cheap but effective.
    If odour wont be an issue, no close neighbours etc, then the only issues are to get fresh air in and warming it as cfl's won't create much heat.
    Use cheap venting kits from large diy stores.
    Not sure of your location but if you are growing over winter 16 weeks from now it will be February and you may have issues after harvesting, have you thought about that?

:smoking:

14. I have been thinking of that and Im up in Vermont so it will definetly bee very cold. Right now im thinking a space heater is going to be my best bet, and just keep a very close watch on the temps up there. Odor isnt much of a concern.

15. Here are two ideas. Both ideas involve insulating the box, but then i was thinking either.

A. Have the box big enough where i have a small heater in the box. Which has a thermostat built in. And for safety measures have a temp shutdown so if it reached like 80-90 the heater would shut off.

Low Profile Heater - SLP3310-UM at The Home Depot

B. Have a heater fan blowing directly at my intake fan.