Growing In An Atrium

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by CaptJonLuc, Sep 12, 2018.

1. My wife and I are moving into a condo with an interior atrium. We are in a non-rec, med state in the southeast and were considering a tent when I just decided to throw this at the wall to see if it sticks. I was there this morning taking a break from painting when I started looking at the light coming in the atrium. It is, for the most part, in-direct sunlight, with 10 hours darkness (currently). It is about 85-90 F, nighttime temps down in the low 70's (again, currently). I would like to know thoughts, suggestions, etc. Should I supplement with a 400 to 600 watt HID for 8 hours/day or so (not sure if the skylight is screened or glass)? what seeds, fems or autos? Is this a good idea?

2. Try some autos. From what I understand they are pretty short as well. See how the plant responds to the natural sunlight and supplement if needed. Also supplement heat with a space heater. Just set the thermostat and you're good to go.

3. You might be surprised by just how much how much "power" comes from even the indirect sunlight.
    Take a picture of the area so we can get a bit better idea of the space.
    Why not do photoperiod strain during spring summer, and drop some auto seeds once you're in darker months and cropped your photos?
    Femmed seeds are always better idea if you're not planning on breeding though. It sucks when you plant a hand full of seeds that just turn out to be a sausage fest. Way easier when already femmed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dude, that is an awesome little spot. I would think that you could get a very legit crop of off that space without the supplemental lighting.
    You will need to determine a way to keep buds dry in case of rain of course, but that's as simple as some 2x2s and painters plastic.

Are you thinking soil or hydro?

• Like Like x 1
  5. NFTG's soil #4 and nutrients. Gonna give it a try with auto's. Will update here on the progress.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Any updates? Need a good seed company?

7. My top choices are Southern Oregon Seeds, Oregon Elite Seeds, Growers Choice (don't want to order from overseas). Still in the process of getting moved and organizing so it is going to be awhile. I also might be getting all my tent stuff purchased next month. Having moved in I have taken some readings using a cell phone app and the best I get is 850 foot/candles.

8. With only 170 ppfd, you may need some supplemental lighting during flower for a big yield.

What height were you taking readings at?

9. About 36 inches.

I am focusing on getting the move completed and then getting my indoor tent setup together. I would like to do an experiment without sup lighting using identical auto genetics and nutrient regimen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think you got the right idea there.

Maybe set up a stand/table in the atrium to get you some additional height. In theory, the higher the plant is in that space, the more available par will be.

Need help with the move? Lol
    I'm anxious to see how it turns out!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app