Growing in a small space?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MothBox, May 29, 2005.

1. I haven't really got any room to do any massive growing, but I was planning on getting a small cupboard - about half a metre tall - and putting a set of halogen bulbs in the top. Would this work? Would the plants grow well?

I'm starting them off in a fish tank with a standard tropical strip light in the top.

They are White Widows...

Any ideas if this will work?

2. Well, your plants won't have enough room to grow large, or even medium size.
    But you can do it like this if you don't mind that.
    Don't use halogen bulbs, they aren't much use for growing, instead use fluorecent light or HID.
    I think for cupboard growing fluorecent lights would be best for HID's ( like HPS and MH ) give of a lot of heat and the plants cant handle that in such a small area.

Don't try to use the Halogen lights they won't work for growing.

the ventilation might also be a problem in a cupboard.

3. you need to look into SOG.

Here is a little info on SOG or Sea of Green:

The sea of green(SOG) method was developed to maximize the speed and efficiency of cannabis growing in indoor environments under artificial lights. In a typical sea of green setup of this type, clones are planted at densities as high as 60 clones per m². Within a short time after being established, letting the plants root a bit under normal light conditions(min. 16h per day) and acclimate to the new environment, the lights are switched to a 12 hour dark period. Cannabis are starting to flower when the light period is shorter than 12 hours(Under the natural Halide regularly in autumn when the nights get longer than the days). The small clone will start forming a woody main stem, branches and flowers, even when it is still very small. That process is at the heart of the sea of green method, as it results in the smallest possible plant flowering in the quickest possible time with highest possible yield per m².

Note that SOG plants are really just "an apple on a stick," that is, the main cola, and perhaps a side bud or two, are cultivated

-from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_of_green

4. Ok, thanks.

What about the size of the cabinet for growing in?

I want a decient crop, but I understand its not going to be the greatest with it being a small space and with it being in a small space.

But the largest cabinet I can find which I would probably only be able to grow in is about 50cm!

5. that might work, but you'd have to have a room set aside for growing.. cause of the whole light situation.. it has to be complete dark, but yeah.. that size should be alright..

6. I figured it would be easier than a cupboard because it can be quickly put up, moved etc... And I can put the plants on a shelf - close to the light - and move them down as they get bigger.

I was going to look at a fire blanket or something to cover the unit with during the dark period - that way I could leave it on when the light is on timer, and it shouldn't set the whole room alight! And the fire blanket should be good for keeping the heat in. Although, Im not sure about the plastic outside of the greenhouse itself... but I don't think it will get too hot.

I'm thinking of nicking the one in the kitchen before we have to leave for the summer! Should save on a few pence!

I can get a greenhouse for £20 on eBay inc. delivery and can probably pic up a light from the market for a tenner.

I'm growing White Widow and have read that they grow to about 80cm indoors, so this should be big enough.

I'm gonna invest in a book too, just to keep me straight, and should sow the seeds next weekend fingers crossed. Maybe the Monday by the time I get the greenhouse through the post etc.

Any good books that focus towards growing White Widow indoors?